PDA

View Full Version : Dobe - WIP

ragtym
04-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Hello all,

Haven't been around much because I haven't been drawing all that much.

I have had such an awful week - I wrecked my car on Wednesday and ended up with whiplash and then on Friday, my uncle died of cancer so I decided that I wanted to create something nice to try and bring me out of my blue funk.

So, here's my Dobe...he's red, so the colors are a bit lighter.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/15132-dobe2.jpg

and the reference photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/15132-rddoghead3.jpg

It's drawn on Bristol Smooth with Berol Turquoise Pencils, 6B & HB.

Let me know if something looks off :)

(cross-posted to drawing forum)
Pam

inkskin
04-27-2003, 11:06 PM
This is looking wonderful so far. I will be following this one.
I used to have a red,and a fawn dobie. The red has passed away.and the fawn lives with my sister now due to my husbands allergies:( . I love dobermas. So smart.
What is her name?

Heather

Crias
04-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Dobes are such beautiful dogs. I love the sleek athletic looking dogs...they are some of my favorites to look at! Heather...I've heard the fawns (Isabellas) and blues have more skin problems. Did yours? I love the blues...so striking to look at IMO.

inkskin
04-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi Cathy,

My fawn has no health problems at all, and she is 10 years old this year. I had heard that they are sensitive when I got her, but I never experienced anything.(She is my tinyhead,btw.:D )
I know a huge blue doberman who has the worst skin. He always looks a little dusty and has a smell to him. Sweet big guy,always wants to snuggle.:D

Heather

Paul Hopkinson
04-28-2003, 04:35 AM
This is going to look really good! Any form of art can help to relax the mind, especially when times have been a little difficult recently.

Paul

zilloot
04-28-2003, 07:55 AM
Hi there
This is going to be lovely....wonderful dogs.

When you're drawing the eyes take a long look at the entire landscape I can see in your photo, in each eye....it's one of the things i love about animals pictured outside......

MonicaB
04-28-2003, 08:17 AM
Beautiful dog and drawing! Love the reference photo, and sorry to hear about your awful week.

ragtym
04-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Hi Heather,

Actually, he's not my dobe - I really meant my dobe drawing Sorry about the confusion :)

Thanks everybody for your nice comments - I really need them right now.

Pam

lorna12
04-29-2003, 03:40 AM
Sorry to hear you're having a funky time of it. I hope the drawing has helped. It's going to be a good one!

rapolina
04-29-2003, 05:47 AM
WOW!:clap: :clap:

ciao, rapolina.

ragtym
04-29-2003, 09:27 PM
Worked on my drawing for a bit tonight too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/15132-dobe-3.jpg

It's kind of weird - I do something that I think is TOO dark but when I do the areas around it, it seems to come out pretty well.

Hmmm...maybe I'm afraid of the 'dark'? ;)

Pam

(cross-posted to drawing forum)

ragtym
05-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Back to work on my drawing...a well-needed relaxation technique, I've decided :)

Added more shading to the neck area tonight...working my way back up now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/15132-dobe-4.jpg

Pam

(cross-posted to Drawing & Sketching forum)

Leaflin
05-06-2003, 09:53 PM
(((((Pam)))))
Sorry you have had such a bad week

Your drawing has progressed wonderfully.
Already I can see a personality emerging.

ragtym
05-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks Leaflin :)

I guess I can say that the worst is over now - my uncle's service was over the weekend and Monday, I just crashed. I was completely exhausted - mentally and physically. I spent a good portion of yesterday just trying to rest and relax. I am feeling a bit better today though...I think it's the chocolate chip-peanut butter cookies ;)

I'm glad I started this drawing - it's been a really good self-esteem boost for me. I like to draw but it's getting started that is really hard for me. It's like I think to myself, if I don't start it, I can't fail at it. *shrugs*

In any case, I'm glad you like it :) I'm still working on it right now so I'll probably post another update a bit later.

Pam

ragtym
05-06-2003, 10:29 PM
One last update for the night:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/15132-dobe-5.jpg

Maybe not the best place for me to stop - I'm not completely satisfied with how the upper left side of his head looks but maybe when I finish the ear, I'll like it better

Off to walk the dogs and go to bed :)

Pam

(cross-posted to the Drawing & Sketching Forum)

echidna
05-07-2003, 03:32 PM
he's really coming to life! the eye especially looks great. don't be afraid of the dark- this is coming along wonderfully!
~Echidna

shedreamsbig
05-07-2003, 08:23 PM
This is really nice!!

I am so sorry you are going through bad times!! I will keep you in my prayers! But you are a wounderful artist!! I really love what you have gotten done so far this is gonna be really nice when its done!!

Christina
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sher
05-08-2003, 04:29 AM
I can't wait to see the finished project! You do such a wonderful job. Hope life is easier for you soon.

ragtym
05-08-2003, 10:19 PM
Hello all,

Started on the ear tonight. I'm a little tired so I'm tempted to leave it at that so that I don't screw it up. I also went back and darkened more of the neck area, a few areas were a bit too light.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2003/15132-dobe-6.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to make the outside edge of his ear look hairy instead of smooth...the only thing I can think of is to darken the outside edge and then use an eraser to take "hairs" out of it? Any other ideas?

Pam

(cross-posted to Drawing & Sketching forum)

Paul Hopkinson
05-09-2003, 03:43 AM
This is coming on great, you sure have a way with those pencils!:clap:

Paul

RachelG*
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
This looks really great! i love your style. what tools do you use for blending?
Sorry about the rough time you've been having. I'm sending you happy vibes!!:D

ragtym
05-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Hello all,

Began working on the dobe drawing again - took a little break and it seems that it helped.

Things are looking up - I got a raise at work, contacted an old friend that I hadn't talked to in a year or so and things have taken a turn towards the romantic side. :)

So here's the latest on the dobe:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2003/15132-dobe-7.jpg

RachelG - I use a regular old paper tortillon to do the blending on this drawing. The pencils are Berol Turquoise 5B, HB, and 2H.

Thanks again everyone for all your support :)

Pam

(crossposted to Drawing & Sketching forum)

Paul Hopkinson
05-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Hey Pam glad to see you back. This is loking excellent as usual but what else can we expect from you!
All I can say about your friend is that a song just went into my head and it goes "Love is in the air, lovei s all around".

Cheers
Paul:D

ragtym
05-16-2003, 08:33 PM
hehe Paul - that's a good song :)

Pam

echidna
05-16-2003, 08:36 PM
nice progress! the new eye seems a smidge squinty compared to the other, but that should be easy to fix. glad your life's on the upswing too:D
~Echidna

ragtym
05-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Echidna - yeah, it seems a little smaller to me too. I'll fix it and repost later :)

Pam

stalksthedawn
05-16-2003, 08:49 PM
I love how he's coming along! My first dog was a dobe...we had him for 10 years. Found him half starved on the street and took him in.