PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting

MonicaB
04-27-2003, 04:30 PM
Happy Sunday all,

I've been doing a bit of experimenting on that pen plotter paper I told you about. I also wanted to try some other things: sepia ink (inspired by Seejay) and something other than stippling, which is all the ink work I've done for months, it seems.

After a lengthy debate with self, I decided to leave the stash of plotter paper where it was. It took forever to get any kind of color down on it. My Koh-i-noor pen tended to make scratches and grab pieces of paper in the tip (not a good thing). The paper might be good for stippling, however. I did a bit on the mushrooms, just to experiment. It gave very fine dots even with the .25mm pen.

Seejay, I'm still working myself up to trying the washes. . . :(

Have a good week.

MonicaB
04-27-2003, 04:31 PM
and this:

cnfwriter
04-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Wonderful work Monica!! The tree is particularly good, though I'm partial to trees. :D

MonicaB
04-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks! Another tree-hugger -- cool!

drwells
04-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Love It! Great tree sketch Monica! I love the knots and the texture your created with the tree. :) The shrooom it kewl too but I really like how you did the grass around it.

I think you should post more sketches like this. :)

Let me know when you get brave enough to do a wash...Maybe then I will try one. ;)

Danny

MonicaB
04-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Hey Danny! Yeah, thought you might like the tree. :D I do plan to do more sketches, in between the big projects. It's fun. My only problem is that there are SO many of them I want to do . . .

Think I'll wait for Kitaye's continuing article on ink and watercolor washes. Unless we can talk Seejay into writing an article on pen & ink washes? (hint, hint, hint!) :evil:

cnfwriter
04-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Hey Danny and Monica,

I recently picked up a Pen, Ink, and Wash book myself last week. Very intriguing, but I haven't done anything with it yet either. At least I know I'm in an elite wannabe club. :D

seejay
04-27-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm happy that I can (partially at least) inspire someone to do this!

First, I'll cover my arse by saying I am still experimenting myself with the wash stuff....if I ever feel I can explain it I'll write something up...until then, do try some yourself, have fun, make it up as you go along. Works for me sometimes; I learn a bit from the rest.;)

Nice experiments Monica; see, there is life after stippling!:evil: I like them both, maybe prefering the strokes in the tree just a bit more.

there are SO many of them I want to do . . .

No excuses then - we want to see more!;)

Cheers, and have a good week too.

(Wannabes 'R' us!)

jjsangel
04-27-2003, 11:05 PM
Great tree Monica. Love the knotholes. I also like the grass on the mushroom picture and the mushrooms too. Love the sepia ink. I may have to give that a try on something...:D

drwells
04-28-2003, 12:17 AM
At least I know I'm in an elite wannabe club.

LMAO!!! Good one Mike! :D

Jakeally
04-28-2003, 03:21 AM
Wow....wonderful sketches Monica. I love that tree and some pretty nifty negative drawing on the grass:clap:

Now then....c'mon people....throw caution to the wind...get those washes flowing...loosen up and have some fun. What's the worst that can happen....you waste a bit of paper:evil: :D :evil:

MonicaB
04-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Yes, Mike, we are quite the elitists on this board, aren't we? :D

Sharon, I love the sepia color too. It's so warm, and I love the washes Seejay has been doing. I'm determined to try it, just a big chicken.

maybe prefering the strokes in the tree just a bit more. Me too, Chris. Don't know why, but in doing the grass around the mushrooms, my pen kept getting caught in the paper. But it didn't on the tree. Used longer strokes on the tree -- maybe that was it. As I said, it was an experiment on many levels!

Anybody else out there experimenting? :D

artdude
04-28-2003, 09:54 AM
Nice ink experiments Monica :D I like them both. Great texture on the tree and the dark background really makes the mushroom stand out :) Haven't tried working with sepia yet but I do like the warm tone of it too :D:)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BTDogMom
04-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Monica, I love your experiments 2! Your tree looks great, but I don't know y, but I LOVE the mshroom pic - that 1 just looks awesome 2 me. I'm sorry 2 hear about your pen plotter paper - I didn't even think of that, but the old pens were nothing like your rapidograph that has a small diamond in the tip. They didn't have the opportunity 2 tear the paper, but I can 100% picture what u r talking about. Though I'm not all that experienced in P&I art, I am very familiar with rapidograph pens b-cuz when I started drafting I was a manual drafter on the board and had 2 use something called a Leroy writing tool. It was a pain in the arse, but I got pretty used 2 it and could use it almost as fast as I could write normally. Stained so many of my clothes it was unbelievable. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH - shutup, Jamie! Sorry :( Love your mushrooms :D :D

MonicaB
04-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks, Jamie! :D :D :D (BTW, this is a FORUM -- you don't have to shut up!)

seejay
04-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Jakeally

Now then....c'mon people....throw caution to the wind...get those washes flowing...loosen up and have some fun. What's the worst that can happen....you waste a bit of paper:evil: :D :evil:

LOL! That's it, Chris, give them a gee up! They won't listen to me!;)

Cheers

sassybird
04-29-2003, 04:04 AM
They are both very well drawn. I love trees, but for some reason the mushrooms attract me between the two sketches. seejay is right though, loosen up and play with those washes. They will give you depth and life to your work.

DSPIT
04-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Monica- very nice!! I love the warm colors of the sepia ink. As a tree doodling person myself, I really like the layout of the tree. A nice wash would be nice in the background. The mushroom is very good as well, and the nice little shade underneath is a big plus.

I saw mention of ink/wash tutes. As I have been experimenting, testing and playing with failing feeble attempts at inks/washes, I have received a lot of great advice in this forum. I have just been unable to make it happen. I am jealous. So I think tutes would be great:D

If you do a wash on these,make sure ya post. I wanna see.

Bob

els
04-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Very good work Monica...