PDA

View Full Version : Irish draught

Line
04-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Any comment welcome... I just finished this :D

MonicaB
04-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Hi Line,

Looks like you've been having fun with your pen! You may want to try these over in the Pen and Ink forum, too, especially if you're looking for any technique advice. . .

RachelG*
04-27-2003, 04:44 PM
This one is great! there are only a few things i see 'off'. first, his neck is a bit too long, and narrow. horses' necks (from the throat to the chest) should be about at long as the horses' head, and should gradualy get wider towards the shoulder. second, his croup (the area on his back towards his tail) is a bit too high and pointed. it should line up with his withers, unless he's a baby, then it's a bit higher. other than this, i don't see anything else!
I am soooo amazed at how fast you've been improving. you were good already when you arrived here, and now, look at your work! using pen/ink is hard because you can't erase, but you make it look sooo easy!! you have so much talent-keep it up for sure! i love this drawing. you know how to capture the look of this breed very well. GREAT job!!!:clap: :clap:

Suzy78
04-27-2003, 04:52 PM
You're really improving! I must say, what a Roman nose he's got there. RachelG* pointed out some structural issues, so I'm not going to bother. The only advice I can offer is to do a light pencil sketch and look at your proportions before digging in with the pen. :) If you do this lightly in pencil, you can change proportions if needed, and erase the pencil completely without destroying the integrity of your paper.

Suzy

shedreamsbig
04-27-2003, 05:59 PM
great Job Line!! Again your improvment is unbelievable!! I love the shading on this one!! You have really got something here!!

Christina

Paul Hopkinson
04-27-2003, 06:21 PM
Line this looks really great! Me thinks horses are you chosen topic in life! This as you know is coming from someone who know nothing about horses especially as Shedreamsbig and Lorna12 has challenged me to paint one!
Saying that the book I've just bought on these four legged friends tells me that you've done a great job. Arrh no, I've just given the game away! Listen don't tell them that I've bought a book, shhssssssssssss

Paul

Line
04-28-2003, 03:08 AM
For some reason I don't see errors like that before I've started to ink :D I do draw with pencils first. And the thing about the high croup, is that on the reference photo, the horse is going slightly downhill, and I kinda forgot that half-through :D

Oh, and thanks! :D I'm surprised to see this many replies :)

lorna12
04-29-2003, 03:49 AM
You're coming along really well with those horses. I just started doing them myself and made the same mistake with the "croup"

Paul....AHA!!! You done yet??

Paul Hopkinson
04-29-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by lorna12

Paul....AHA!!! You done yet?? [/B]

I new you would be watching Lorna! And no I havn't finished it yet. Just doing the horse's bottom, rear end, croup, behind..........you know the thing the tail hangs off! I'm trying to do this as well as three commissions so please bear with me. I'd say half done.

LINE I want to see more sketches.