PDA

View Full Version : Feathers and beads

cnfwriter
04-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi all,

I picked up a book called the Technical Pen more than a week ago. Some really excellent technique suggestions in there. This drawing started out as simply me trying my hand at doing a feather in pen -- trying to get the subtle shading right. One feather turned out fairly well, so I did a second, then the beads, then the thatched background, then the framing -- all using techniques I learned from the book.

Here's the picture and two close-ups. Sorry, it seems the camera does this fish-eye thing, which makes the image look as if it curves. It's really pretty straight. I was really excited to see how soft I could get the values with a pitch black technical pen (micron .005 only).

Oh yeah, this was also the first time I used vellum bristol board. Wonderful stuff -- really holds a crisp, clean line and feels wonderful under the pen. I'm sold!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/5281-feathers.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/5281-feathers_close1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/5281-feathers_close2.jpg

MonicaB
04-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Awesome work, Mike! I absolutely adore that book! It's by Gary Simmons, if anyone is interested. I believe I've memorized almost everything in his book . . . .

seejay
04-27-2003, 10:20 PM
Great work, Mike!

Yes, that's a good book; I borrow it from our town library often.

jjsangel
04-27-2003, 10:59 PM
Great job Mike. Yeah, I have that book. It's great. So much info. Love all the different strokes you used in this..:)

Jakeally
04-28-2003, 03:10 AM
Excellent job Mike....... I love that background and the feather is marvelous....and the beads...WOW.

Oh! Goody goody..... another book to look for:D

artdude
04-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Nice ink work Mike :) Looks like that woven background would be a lot of work :D The feather and beads look GREAT!! What is the size of the original drawing? Are you going to do any more exercises from this new book? Haven't heard of this book, but will definitely have to check it out!! :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

cnfwriter
04-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by artdude
Nice ink work Mike :) Looks like that woven background would be a lot of work :D

Yes, it was a lot of work. It took me more than a week, working a few hours almost every day.

What is the size of the original drawing? Are you going to do any more exercises from this new book? Haven't heard of this book, but will definitely have to check it out!!

The drawing takes up about two-thirds of a 9"X12" piece of vellum bristol board. This is the first time I've tried bristol board and found it to be wonderful. I've read that watercolor paper leaves some slight room for the ink to diffuse, but the bristol board holds a tight line. It felt wonderfully velvety under the pen. I will definitely use it again and again.

I know I'll use the suggested strokes over and over again that I've learned from this book. Definitely helpful and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for looking and commenting. Your opinion carries great weight with me. :D

BTDogMom
04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
That looks awesome!! Thanks 4 the close-up! :D

Dave.t
04-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi Mike....must congratulate on this work. The overall composition works really well and I like the highlights and shadows between the weave.
The details show you have a great skill.
Thanks for the details of the book..I will look this up...need to broad my range of techniques.
Does anyone know if bristol board is available in UK?

:clap: :clap:

MonicaB
04-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Dave.t
Does anyone know if bristol board is available in UK?

You may want to check on the drawing/sketching forum to be sure, but I vaguely remember someone there saying it was NOT available in the UK. From another list I remember someone saying it is called something else in the UK. So while I don't have an answer, I at least understand your question. :D Maybe someone in the other forum will be more help.

DragonladyfromOz
04-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Ahhhhh... another addict to the 005 Micron...:evil: heheheeee
Glad a few more people mentioned they didn't have the book, I was wondering if I was the only one!
Great depth on the feathers [never thought of cross-hatching:eek: ] and the beads give an interestingly varied contrast. I can fully understand the week it took to do the weave pattern, and a top effort there too, I think it is a good and effective compliment to the other textures.
You have a fish-eye camera too huh? :D
Cheers
D'lady

sassybird
04-29-2003, 04:07 AM
Very nice :D The feather is just right, and those beads add a lot to the compostion. Now that you have got the feathers and beads down how about trying your hand at drawing a dream catcher? I would love to see you do that.

Blueyog
04-29-2003, 12:01 PM
That's excellent !!! :clap:

els
04-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Very good job Mike...

cnfwriter
04-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone!! They're very much appreciated -- more than you know! I'm learning so much from you guys!! :D

drwells
04-29-2003, 11:45 PM
Hey Mikey!! How in the heck did I miss this!! Looks like you got yourself a good book..Plus I think you may be gaining a little more confidence...Great work. I agree with the rest of the family. Love the weave, the feathers are great. Can't wait to see the next one. :)

Danny

cnfwriter
04-30-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by drwells
Looks like you got yourself a good book..Plus I think you may be gaining a little more confidence...

Thanks Danny. You must be right about the confidence level -- I seem to be contemplating more and more complex endeavors. :D Thanks for the encouragement, both through your words and your own drawings. I'm really learning a lot here.