PDA

View Full Version : Two Paintings Done - Your thoughts?

karenjh
04-27-2003, 02:34 PM
I finished these up today. The barn scene was a class project that I finished up at home. We also started the rose project in class (background and started the big rose), but finished it at home too. I couldn't wait until class to work on this again. I started the rose one again with a lighter background and no salt. The roses were fun, so I want to do them again and try to get better.

Both 1/4 sheet Arches Cold Press

Suggestions?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/8699-Barn_on_Golden_Field_Final.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/8699-Roses_with_Butterfly_Final.jpg

karenboss
04-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Karen, both are lovely! I especially like the colors and the composition in your landscape. The rose petals are delicate and very nice. I think the roses need either cropping or more detail in the back - roses are fun, huh? I'm doing them now too!
Nice work!

sisangel
04-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Karen

I love the barn landscape, such beautiful work. The foreground is particularly stunning.

It looks like you are having fun with roses, it shows. I would like see your next one with the lighter background.

Keep it up and have fun.

Bonnie

Sandy1
04-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Karen nice barn scene. But you know me I am partial to flowers. It turned out beautiful and you leaves look great.
sandy

mhimeswc
04-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Nice barn scene. I really like the way you did the foreground with the gently rolling hills. I only wish the bare tree on the left was over to the right a smidge, and not up so close against the paper. Also, a little taller so that it overlaps the top of the mountains a little more.

Your roses are lovely. You did a really good job on them. If it wasn't for the butterfly I would suggest cropping them more, but we don't want to lose that butterfly. I like the salt background. They are fun to do, and you can get some really interesting effects. I haven't done it much myself, but I like looking at it in others' paintings. Next time you paint roses, try to make them a little larger on the page. They have more impact that way. Nice job on both paintings.

Michelle

karenjh
04-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Karen, you are right I probably should have put more effort into it with some more detail in the back, but truthfully I am not that excited about the background so I called it done.

Bonnie, We are on the same wave length. I already started another one and the background is much lighter (and no salt which I can always do later if I want).

Sandy, thanks for the kudos. The leaves turned out okay, but I'd like to learn how to do them better - yours are awesome.

Michelle, that one rose I thought was so huge for me - especially because it was the first one I've done. I think it's probably easier to paint larger ones anyway than smaller ones. The barn scene trees on the left were actually much shorter until I got some advice here on WC and made them taller. I am always overly cautious so I probably didn't go high enough!

CharM
04-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Nice finish Karen... I especially like the smallest rose bud!!!

Bill J
04-27-2003, 04:50 PM
both are nice/ I like the roses and your detail. Rather than waiting for class next week why don't you try doing just a single rose and using it as a note card or a small pic that you can give to a friend. Two things will be accomplished -practice & you will make someone happy .

bill:clap:

hopefulbucky
04-27-2003, 04:52 PM
I agree about the rose painting. I really love it, I particularly like the partially opened rose bud, looks very realistic. I also agree with you that the background could be lighter, seems to take away some from the roses.

The barn scene is beautiful. As far as the tree goes, it kind of looks like you are standing on a hill overlooking, maybe it could do with being a bit taller but job very well done.:D

andylavallee
04-27-2003, 04:52 PM
I like them both, the sky and forground in the landscape is very well done, The back ground effect is very pretty in the rose painting but the stem on the center rose ,leaves me wondering if its a background or the roses are coming through it..well done

karenjh
04-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Char, thanks the small bud is my favorite too.

Bill, what a great idea. Heck I might want to cut this one up and make a few small paintings.

Hopeful, thanks and maybe I'll have to go back and make that tree higher.

Andy, Thanks - Yes you are right about that stem on the middle rose. I think I just gave up at that point and didn't want to put in more detail - but I think I need to go back and add some foliage down there so it doesn't look wierd.

artman42
04-27-2003, 08:17 PM
I like Both Paintings Very Much, Good Work !

Little Old Lady
04-27-2003, 08:46 PM
They are both nice but I love the landscape especially.
JoAnn