GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Barefoot Pond
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
tonights painting. another one that i am happy with. could be because it is so late here though.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think? I was thinking of maybe adding a little bit of a fence, maybe a cow or two as well. This looks better in real life. I can't seem to get a good photo of it.

champagneharley
04-27-2003, 02:57 AM
You are WELL on the way to developing your own style with these. But think there needs to be a slight bit more control for this one to work. It's difficult to say what I altered digitally. Essentially it is there as you had planned. I just made it pull together a little more compositionally, that's all, I guess.
I made the pond bigger, the trees on the hill smaller, making the one on the right a bit more dominant to make it seem closer. The focus now comes back to the peaceful little pond. I suggested some reflections in the far side of the pond. Darkened the hill trees so slightly underneath to give them some 'weight', and bought them more in to part of the scene by placing them in some bushes with same colours as below.
I've altered the bushes to the right foreground, making these lead your eye more 'into' the picture. Softened the path tracks, darkened under the foreground tree, and made it so the tree is more 'anchored' to the ground instead of floating.
I've made a feature of the far pond side bushes, repeating your golden shades from the tree and lessening the white you had on top. This colour just did not match in - same with lower right foreground.
I've darkened the hilltop to the left, too.
I like the 'starkness' of your paintings and think that fence or cows, etc would not make it work any better. You would lose the 'essence' of your work.
I'm not saying my way is the way to go, but might give you a better idea for bringing it together.
I like your expressive sky, and would make as much of it as you can.
Normally I would be looking for a light source, but think this pulls together with out one. Anyway, see what you think. (PS: my graphic program is not the best to digitally enhance something, but hope you can see what I've done).
Regards,
Jillian

jerryW
04-27-2003, 05:37 AM
I could not encourage you enough, paint - dance - rejoice.
great stuff.

champagneharley
04-27-2003, 06:12 AM
PS.... Your work is really great - so much vitality - I've said that before with other works of yours. Just commenting here makes it seem like I'm just asking you to change what you're doing... don't! You ARE doing wonderfully. I know you feel it yourself!
Congratulations.
Regards,
Jillian

Wayne Gaudon
04-27-2003, 06:29 AM
just paint and paint and paint .. style will evolve as you go so don't give it a thought .. you will develope but don't ever think you are there .. :D .. of the ones I've seen, this is your best effort to date ..