PDA

View Full Version : ~**DailyWash**Sunday April 27**~

Nandie
04-27-2003, 01:04 AM
Happy Sunday!

I thought I'd start the wash again so I can thank everyone who responded to my message in yesterdays wash! You people are so wonderfully supportive and encouraging, thanks so much!:D

I actually did some "plein air" painting today - LOL - well, I guess you could call it that because I was technically outside painting, but not watercolors! I was painting a large concrete planter that I'm going to put flowers in as soon as the danger of frost has passed. Gardening has been my other passion, although I don't do as much as I used to.... but I still enjoy piddling about outdoors with my plants. ;) Anyway, that tired me out but I was glad to get it done. Hope to do some "real" painting (watercolors) this week sometime.

Have a great day!:cat:

artmom
04-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Hi, Nandie, so nice to know you got outside some today!

Good morning, Washers! I figured I'd post now, because I'm having another of my "late night stay up--late morning getup" phases.

"Thread of Life" robins all fledged today--I'll miss them.:(

Posted a sort of contemporary/abstract "Sandro's Mask." It's different from anything I've ever done--even in oils.

Tomorrow we celebrate our twin grandsons' sixteenth birthday by having a box at the Tennessee Smokies baseball game--with cake, hot dogs, etc. for 20. Should be a lot of fun--I don't go often, but enjoy it when I do.

I'm going to try some poppies next. Haven't decided which kind yet.

Have a good day today.:D

Lyn

M.A.
04-27-2003, 04:46 AM
Hi Andrea - when will you be past the chance of frost in your area? Here in NS it's considered to be "after the first full-moon in June." Is it the same there? What colour did you paint your planter?

Lyn - the ballgame sounds like a fab idea! I like both of your recent works. The red thread is very nice and I really like the Mask too.

I'm up before my alarm this morning (oh why do I do that???!!!) so thought I'd check in. Better get my coffee ... can't believe how many times I've typed in a word and had to go back and correct it in this little post.

Not awake yet.!

Have a happy watercolour Sunday!!!

Mary-Ann

madmum
04-27-2003, 05:02 AM
Morning Andrea!!!! Great to hear you're doing something you enjoy, watercolours will come later :) I'm out of practice too, only picked up the brushes once on holiday and results were terrible :( Good job it was only a sketch! We can get back into the swing together :)

Lyn, I did look at your mask last night but I was pre-occupied sorting photos at the same time so didn't comment. I'll get round to it today - and find your thread of life, that sounds fascinating!

Mary-Ann, if you think the photo I posted in yesterdays wash is good enough for the portrait exchange go ahead and snag it, just remember it was taken with a flash and my hair is NOT red, it's blonde! :D I can't imagine still having frosts in June! We're looking to be rid of them anytime now, then we can get the runner beans in.

Got piles of photographs to organise, just to show 2 possible paintings of the future:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/10535-Yellow_fields_small.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/10535-Stream_with_bluebells_small.jpg

I'll be uploading dozens to the RIL eventually, but if you can't wait please feel free to use these pictures :) Also got castles, cottages, street scenes, still life, beaches etc ;)

Happy painting!

Ruth

M.A.
04-27-2003, 05:15 AM
*coffee in hand*

Ruth - I'll go back to yesterday's thread and grab it, great pic - know what you mean about blonde turning red ... don't forget to sign up. I *&really* like the pics you posted in this thread, very lovely.
:)

M.A.
04-27-2003, 05:24 AM
Ruth - your pic has now been added yo the portrait exchange, I really like the dark background. In fact, I really admire the quality variety of pics that people have put together for this project. What a neat group of people here.
:)

painterbear
04-27-2003, 05:29 AM
Good Morning all,

Only 5:15 a.m. in Ohio, very, very dark outside my window and not a sound to be heard. Seems as if everyone is still sleeping (except me). The paper delivery person will be coming around shortly I'm sure.

Nandie, I like to do vegetable gardening and flowers in front of the house too. Our last frost date where I live is 10 May. I have two big planters that go at the head of the driveway on our wall that I'm looking forward to filling. Our pretty pink and lavendar flowers that line the steps in front of our house are in bloom now and look lovely—I think they are called phlox, but I'm not 100% sure of that. They bloom early each spring and cascade in small mounds for a month or so until the more tender flowers can be planted.

Ruth, Your photos are lovely. Looks like you are composing with your camera now that you know you might use the shot for a painting reference. Look forward to checking out the RIL when you get them all loaded. Glad you had a good vacation.

Lyn, Sounds like a fun way to celebrate your grandsons' birthday. I think the small city baseball teams are more like what baseball used to be like than the big teams games are with the prima donna players. The team here is called The Dayton Dragons!

We are heading out in a couple of hours to drive east to western Pennsylvania to stay with our 4-year-old grandson, Quinn, while his Mom and Dad go on a mini-vacation. We are about a 5 hour drive away so we don't see him as often as we'd like, this gives us a chance to enjoy him and see all the changes he is going through as he grows, and he gets to know us a little better each time we do this. On Tuesday we plan to take him to the zoo. Should be a fun day if the weather cooperates.

I'll see you all on Thursday. Bye for now.

Yorky
04-27-2003, 06:31 AM
Morning all!

Nice to see you out and about Andrea.

Have a good game, Lyn - I can't understand baseball :D

Teriffic photos Ruth, especially the stream - I'll keep a check on your RIL.

Have a good trip Sylvia. My garden used to be full of alpine phlox they are wonderful - really get the garden going.

Going to have another try at Pampe's portrait now - this time I'll trace the outline and go steady with the washes :D

Cheers!

Doug

coffee_girl3000
04-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Good afternoon!

Head's ringing a bit, had a late night out. But I had a nice time so it's worth it. I need to get back into my usual sleeping patterns to prepare for school (Tuesday!) and exams in a few weeks.

Sun is shining, may get out of the house later on. Would like to go to Starbucks and have a Mocha, haven't had one for months.

Doug, I began to draw Pampe and I just couldn't! So your tracing plan sounds good. I just about managed Fookie. Don't think I'll get round to drawing her onto w/c paper and painting today mind you.

Have a lovely, peaceful day WCers.

Uschi
04-27-2003, 07:50 AM
Good Morning everyone!!!!
Just had a weird experience, quickly got myself dressed so I would be ready when the guy with the topsoil I had ordered arrived. Listening to my classical radio station and wondering why they are playing heavy churchy kind of music, thinking to myself that was weird because it wasn't Sunday or a holiday, then looking for Monday's wash and then it finally hit me that it is Sunday today and not Monday:D and no topsoil till tomorrow.

Had my family here yesterday until 11 p.m.

Great to have you back Ruth, have to go to yesterday's wash to see the photo and read up on what everyone was up to.

Beautiful day, since I am already dressed for Monday gardening will do some before I go for my usual Sunday brunch with my friends.
Have a great day everybody!!!
Uschi

CharM
04-27-2003, 07:53 AM
Good morning everyone!!! I have a lot or catching up to do...

Had to leave early yesterday, because my husband needed emergency minor surgery (as an outpatient)... Our wonderful Canadian Health Care system at its best... Anyway, after waiting for him most of the day in an isolated Waiting Room, they sent him home... BTW, we still can't visit anyone in the hospital due to SARS... We picked up his antibiotic and pain killers prescription on the way home... He's a Paramedic who does not make a good patient. As his dutiful wife, I do not make a good nurse... Well, I'm not even sure about the "dutiful" part... When we arrived home, he took his atibiotic and went to lie down... Minutes later, he was back in the kitchen to see me, covered in hives. His hands had swollen up like little footballs, his neck, ears and forehead were covered... Back to the hospital we raced... This time, they made me wait in my car - for 2 1/2 hours - while they decided that it might have been the meds. Home we go, stopping to get more medication... Now we're up to $125 in pills, he's feeling like __it and I'm just a tad grumpy.

We have a Home Care Nurse coming in today to clean and redress his incision...

Andrea... I missed the Wash yesterday, but I'm glad to see you managed to get out into the fresh air!!! Our frost date is May 24th... But I remember, as a little girl, standing out in the pea field with my poor dejected Father looking at the withered blossoms after a killer frost in June...

Lyn... going to check your mask...

Mary-Ann... the Portrait project is really singing, isn't it???

Ruth ... I love those photos!!!

Sylvia... have a very safe trip and enjoy your Grandson!!!

Doug... how's that back of yours??

Off to read the threads...

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

CharM
04-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Sarah and Uschi... we cross posted...

Uschi - ROFLOL...

Sarah... My son always brings a lb. of ground Starbuck's coffee home when he visits... mmmmh... smells so good....

Strawberry Wine
04-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Good Day to Evreyone:

The sun is shining again today and I can't believe it 3 days in a row!!! Got some more weeding done yesterday and plan on more gardening today as well. Our last frost date is supposed to be may 24th weekend but we have had frost in early June as well. I can get the snow peas planted this week and some of the hardy lettuce seeds and that is about it for 3 more weeks. I start most of my own tomatoes inside under a grow light so on about the first week of May I put the flats outside during the day and bring them in at night into the cool mudroom. A bit of work but hardens them up nicely.

Ruth: Nice to see you back and will check yesterdays wash for photos. I love the woodsy one you posted today.

Andrea: Glad you had a paintbrush in hand yesterday.

Sylvia: Enjoy your visit with your grandson. I love the zoo but haven't been in years.

Doug: I traced Sylvilu's face as well. My drawing skills are not quite up to freehanding portraits yet.

Char: What a horrible day you had. Hope hubby feels better soon. Sorry guys, but you do make the worst patients.:(
My hubby is the worst of the worst.

I am going to try and finish Sylvielu today and decide who will be next on my portrait list

First I am going to check out the challenge voting poll

See you all later and will stop back in later today

Gail

Little Old Lady
04-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Good day all! 50 degrees this morning. Last fear of frost here usually considered to be Memorial Day (end of May)
Sorry you had such an awful day Char. I thought you got your meds paid for too and we always hear how much cheaper they are up there.
Have three portraits underpainted. Not sure if I will ge achance today to finish today or not
Son, daughter-in-law and grandsons involved in a produciton of the Sound of Music so going there this aft.
Hope all goes well with all of you.
JoAnn

Yorky
04-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by coffee_girl3000
Good afternoon!
Head's ringing a bit, had a late night out. But I had a nice time so it's worth it. I need to get back into my usual sleeping patterns to prepare for school (Tuesday!) and exams in a few weeks.

Tsk! ;)

Doug, I began to draw Pampe and I just couldn't! So your tracing plan sounds good. I just about managed Fookie. Don't think I'll get round to drawing her onto w/c paper and painting today mind you.

Here's the reference I used Sarah - much easier without the spectacles.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/1046-Pam.jpg

Cheers!

Doug

artmom
04-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Madmum, is that bluebells in your pic???? When I first looked at it, it gave me goosebumps! My most vivid memory of my childhood in Scotland during the war (no, not the first--the second LOL) is visiting the Bluebell Woods near the the Roman (actually the Caulder River) across the Clyde from the Duke of Hamilton's palace.

Also, is that a field of rape?

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Good morning to all who posted after I did earlier, and good day to all who post after me.:)

Lyn

madmum
04-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Absolutely right on both counts, Lyn! Glad the bluebells brought back memories :) I love bluebell season, sadly the native bluebells are disappearing and need to be protected.

Rape seems to be one of the main crops here now, fields of it everywhere. It does give us a bit of sunshine on dull days, though :)

Have uploaded a batch to my RIL now, just click the link below for a shortcut ;)

Ruth

M.A.
04-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Char - yup, the portrait project is a blast. Wishing I was still on vacation so I could be painting more.

I especially like the way people are changing their *tinyheads* as a result of this project. I would have asked Barb if I could use the portrait she did of me but I am looking out of the screen in it. Fookie let me use the tiny head from her portrait so I am very lucky in any event! Still looking into the screen.

Doug - so *that's* the reference you used for pampe, very cool!
:cool:

ScarletLake
04-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Happy Sunday everyone

Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day here. My son went to his senior prom last night. Then after prom till 4 am. Going to our amusement part Kings Island today. He'll be whipped tomorrow.

Oh & he also did his long distance solo yesterday before all the prom activities. He flew 150 miles & back by himself. I went to see him land. I admit I was a little nervous about this one. Hard to get used to seeing your son up in a plane by himself. Esp at just turned 18 yo.

I have never put a pic of myself on for 2 reasons. I'm not photogeniic & therefore run at the mention of a picture being taken. But my friend I met for breakfast, whom I had taken some photos with, somehow managed to get one of me so I'll post that so ya'll can see who you are talking too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/17672-scan0013.jpg

Andrea- You're doing fine. Keep doing things you love. I can't wait to start getting some flower containers potted up too.

Lyn - Have fun at twins 16th birthday.

Ruth- love your pics but what is rape?

Sylvia - you're probably already gone but have a good time with your grandson. How old?

Doug - Hi

Sara - Oh to be young again. I did have white wine spritizers last nigth at dinner. They were so good.

Char- He had a pretty severe reaction to that med. What med was it? Just curious being a nurse myself? You were a good wife to get him back to hospital. Hope he is feeling better.

Gail - I would like to do some container gardening with vegetable this year.

Going to spend the day doing whatever.

Anita

M.A.
04-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi Anita ... that's a nice picture you've posted here ... joining the exchange? I can grab it from here if you like.

madmum
04-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Anita, you're beautiful :) You sound like me - I run from cameras too.

Rape is oil seed rape, they harvest the seeds to make the basic vegetable oil for frying etc. :)

Sylvia, have a good time on your visit to care for grandson :)

Ruth

artmom
04-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Anita, nice pic! You look like you could be my younger sister, if I had one!!:D

I do hope to have fun at twin's party--I love ALL my grandchildren so much.

I asked Madmum if that was rape, because the first time I visited Scotland after leaving as a child, I didn't see any--and when I went back in 1989, it was everywhere and had changed the landscape colors of Britain immensely.

Lyn

CharM
04-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Anita... you're beautiful just as you are... Remember... the world was changed the day you were born... Running from the camera causes an absence of all the history that you've built with your familly and friends! People have been capturing images of one another since time immemorial because those moments can never be lived again!!!

You think I'm a good wife? LOL! I just didn't want him in the house feeling any worse than he was!!! ... ok... really just kidding... The meds were cephalexin or novo lexin 500 mg...

mchew
04-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone!

I was late again.... and it's 11.55pm now... so I'm just 5 minutes into tomorrow...

Yesterday started drawing for a bridge painting in class...photo I took a couple of weeks ago. Didn't start putting in the colours... that happens when you talk too much instead of doing the art... but we had a fun chat and a good session on art critique by our teacher... he really knows his stuff and we all benefited.

No painting done since yesterday's class as I was glued on the TV set watching one 'live' football (soccer) match after another... well... english football season is coming to the end and what an exciting climax it now is.... the title challenge, the chase for Champions League and the relegation battle....

Happy painting and have a nice day everyone.... :)

hopefulbucky
04-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Good morning to you all from Portland. The sun is actually SHINING:D It just amazes me that when I get on this daily wash so many people are so far ahead in time. makes the site very neat.

Have to work on my painting for class today, chimneys and windows. It takes us at least 6 weeks for one painting but we really don't work on it during the week. Am trying to get prepared to actually start a painting of my own either from one of my own photographs or slides.

Spent yesterday starting to organize my slides into subject matter. (have hundreds from years of taking slides), next will be photographs (also hundreds) but they are to be separated into personal versus ones that could be used for reproduction or painting. Huge job but needs to be done.

Hope all have a productive fun day and Happy Sunday:cool:

sisangel
04-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Good Morning

I had to come out of lurkdoom this morning. Being a new member, I have just started reading the Daily Wash. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Ruth - I love the photos. Wow, you must be so organized to get them all posted. They are truely and inspiration. Thank you.

Real bad night - my bad pancreas has kept me up all night for 3rd night in a row. I don't feel good enough to paint, so am just spending my time reading your threads. I am really am enjoying this time as your posts are so uplifting and brightens my day. You are all very good medicine.

I'm going to try and scan my 1st couple of paintings today so you see them and critique them for me, ha ha. I'm not scared , but but think it will help me. So please watch for them later today.

Have a great Sunday.
Bonnie

artmom
04-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Sisangel--glad you have come out of lurkdom! Welcome to the watercolor forum. I will be watching for your posts.:)

Hope your pancreas settles down.

Lyn

Christie
04-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Just in briefly from shovelling snow. I just had to check and see how everyone was doing and what was new... sad, I really am a WC! addict.

It is snowing again right now, but now that the bulk has been cleared, I think we can keep up.

I got some painting directions from Fookie (Thanks again!) for the portrait project, so now I need to brush up on my portrait skills again. The skin colours look good, but getting things drawn right would be an even better start.

Off to dinner at my parent's house tonight, if we can get out of our driveway!

Bonnie, I hope that pancreas settles down soon for you.

Everyone else, I hope that you have a good day. I am off to shovel more snow...

Christie

lyn lynch
04-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Cybering slopping kisses and robust Hungarian {{{Nandie}}}.

OL, saw your mask..well done!...gallbladder screaming in pain just reading words 'hotdogs and cake'.

And Maddie, any interesting JoeMajury-type people for ol' Auntie in US of A? No? Maybe next time. Glad to have you back and looking forward to portrayal of those pics.

And, Syliva, another wonderful letter from Mom. Don't you love her posts? Enjoy time w/grandson, one of the pleasures of life. Did Syliva join portrait exchange? Doesn't have to be current life shot you know, if you don't want.

Sarah, hope you had a fun time w/your friends. Take it easy on shading the jowls lines! LOL.

Anita! Oh, Please!! Have you viewed the references in the portrait exchange? Do you think the one I submitted of myself is "photogenic"? Hey! It's real life, what I look like now and if one doesn't like it--off with their tinyhead! Post this one and join up in that exchange or I get on my broom, fly over and whip you!

Hey! Bonnie! Come on in. Several of us have serious health problems so you are in same company on that score also. Just practice with your paints, color combinations, limited palette selections, etc. Just keep your hand on the brush and the brush in the paint, and coming back to Wash. Glad to have you on board and to see your work. Personally, mine is evolving with Godspeed since joing this board.

Woke this morning to several "deposits" on the living room carpet; I must have left the gate open a bit. Shim has been so good about it I was surprised. Incidentally, he knows he has done bad because he sees me looking at it and runs fast as he can back to his bed. I p!ssed about and retaliate by taking away his monkey.

I must get a bit of housecleaning done today, obvously, and some washing [as in washing machine]. I need to take a break from the portraits, too; portrait very difficult for me too, as I am not portrait painter anymore than the rest of the group says they are. I have quite a bit of work to do on my volunteer job, too and that has been bothering me because it is very important work.

Uschi, so pleased to see another w/Sunday brain-drain; this happens to me, too.

Good day to all Washers and good night to all Washers. Love, Auntie.

madmum
04-27-2003, 02:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm....... how about these 2, Auntie?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/10535-Street_musicians_1_small.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/10535-Street_musicians_2_small.jpg

Have bigger pics if any good, just let me know :)

Ruth

lyn lynch
04-27-2003, 07:12 PM
Nope, but thanks for thought, Maddie. I just J/K. I gotta have face to see.

Nandie
04-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Well I finally got back on here and it's just about time to start tomorrow's wash! LOL!!

Anyway, to answer a few questions, I painted the concrete planter Terra-Cotta.

As for frost? Well as far as I'm concerned, the danger of frost has passed on Mother's Day weekend when the local IGA store has their massive Mother's Day plant sale.... they fill the whole parking lot with bedding plants and the local Lions Club puts on a pancake breakfast and everybody and their dog comes and eats and buys plants. Its fun! Anyway, for me that's the signal that it's time to buy plants and get planting! Pretty scientific, huh??:p