PDA

View Full Version : sailboat (in process)

Bill J
04-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Here is a wc of the pic I posted last week. I'm part way thru. I just started on reflection- have to work in that area and shadows on the sail.plus give the water a little more action--suggestions ?

lyn lynch
04-27-2003, 12:50 AM
S'lookin' good to me, Bill.
I'm not a 'scaper but others will be along w/any advice soon.
Are those cads on the sail? I like to see some wash back here, to convey the light and lift of the sail, but I cannot handle opaques, so likely it's just me.

Yorky
04-27-2003, 06:22 AM
I think the refection is a little off line.

A tip is to use a piece of tracing paper - draw a horizontal line along the bottom of the boat then trace the outlines above the line. Flip over the tracing paper and pencil over the lines on the back to transfer the outline of the reflection onto your paper.

Doug

CharM
04-27-2003, 08:19 AM
Bill... I really like how you've treated the sail!

Doug... what a great tip!

Little Old Lady
04-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Great start. Good advice.
JoAnn

Bill J
04-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Thank You -- Fookie.CharM

Yorkie--I needed that tip, I still am mixing shadows/reflection angles Thanks for the EXCELLENT helper !!

M.A.
04-27-2003, 10:21 AM
I really like your color choices and agree with Auntie that cadmium/opaque colors are challenging. Permanent rose and lemon yellow make a fantastic orange that is more transparent and might show the "weightlessness" or wind in the of the sail ... that kind of thing.

Overall I like it and look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Bill J
04-27-2003, 10:04 PM
Here is my semi finished pic. I decided to put the brush down and look at it in a couple of days and also see what comments I get. Yorkies reflection tip was great and added a great deal (thanks again). I'll probably do this again but may add a second boat racing, just a thought. Comments pls.
bill

M.A.
04-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Looking good!!!

surreal
04-27-2003, 11:14 PM
The colors are great!

The color of the water is beautiful.

You captured the curvature of the sail extremely well!!!

Phillip
04-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Great start Bill.
Love the boat.

Can't wait to see the finnished painting.

ripvanblair
04-28-2003, 09:27 AM
This is going to be good. I like what you have done so far-------Alan

babybrush
04-28-2003, 09:28 AM
it's gorgeous. turned out great

Bethany

Yorky
04-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Turned out great, Bill.

Love that shine you got on the sail!

Doug

seedy
04-28-2003, 02:50 PM
OK lad, you asked for it. Just had my second cup of coffee and acid....actually it's gin and tonic!
The good parts....
The positioning of the boat and sail is good and the shadows are in the right place....
What's throwing me off is the sail compared to the reflection. If the sail is full, would'nt there be waves from the bow and if there are waves from the bow then I guess the reflections would be broken up rather than mirrored....
The sail is well done, but....where is the light coming from? Do'nt say from the back, then we're really in trouble.
Since we all like to sail into the sun, lets say it's upper left, ten o'clock. (A.M. of course).
Make a fist and hold it up to the light.
Great....grab a beer and come back!!!!!
How about lifting some of that red off the top and
adding some shadow ( mixed blue and red?) on the sail at the bottom aft. (Did'nt know I was a sailor, did you?)
Had enough? No?
To give an impression of depth, I think a graduated wash from the top down would help...
Go right down over the tree line to the water line.
Go over the trees just once....
Do the same thing with the same colour as above,only this time from the bottom to the base of the trees, after the above is dry.
Darken the boat where the sail is casting a shadow, lets say near the back,....sorry...aft.
Now all thats left is the %&$**&%*# reflections!
Good luck!!!
Actually, go to google, type in sailboats, look for something similar....
There, time for another gin!
I know painting will turn out just fine 'cause the basics are there....Let me know.
Take care,
Brian

artmom
04-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Painting is looking good--Boy, sounds like Brian is an auld salt!

Lyn

Bill J
04-28-2003, 04:08 PM
thanks Brian for the reply:
The original pic was taken at noon, the boat was headed 180 deg. with a 3kt breeze from the north.

I have to put in a bow wake and add some shadow to make the sail fuller. next I have to add more detail to the aft of the boat on the port side, this will make it darker. I am hesitant to darken to much of the pic because this is south west Florida gulf waters and you need sunglasses to keep your eyeballs from burning it so bright here. Last I'll play with the reflection. As most of you know from my previous posts I'm trying to learn reflections/shadows and this pic is a pleasant challenge
bill

flower
04-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Hey Billo,
looking good so far think the advice you got was excellent, not being a sailor its all double dutch to me but i agree when the boat is in full sail there is a wind somewhere around and that affects the waves, thats the extent of my knowledge, sorry, waiting to see the finished thing.
regards
Patricia

artman42
04-28-2003, 07:37 PM
The Reflection looks Good Bill the hole Sail Boat Looks Good Looks Good!

lyn lynch
04-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Great advice from Brian, excellent critique. Here's hoping he gives me the same w/my posts.

I know you are not done w/this work Bill, so I repeat "wash back some of the sail color". Better to work transparents in sun bright states, we have the same deal here in Arizona, where in the summer your arm suntans through the car window, which is all the more reason for transparents.

I know proper wording for Left and Right...just can't remember them right now. :D

Bill J
05-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Here is my final version. I think I've got the wave action ok. The sail is still questionable. I've worked the paper too much in the sail area. I'll probably start from scratch and use this pic as an example of what to do and not do. Thanks all you that helping me.
bill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2003/21423-sailfinal.jpg

Yorky
05-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Nice finish, Bill.

Look on the painting as a learning experience - you certainly got plenty of advice from us old stagers :D

I look forward to seeing your next painting.

Doug

PS - A Tip:

Go to the top, click on "Search" and insert "sail" for the search string and "Watercolour" for the medium and you'll get a whole lot of exmples of sailboats painted by WC members.

Doug

surreal
05-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Nice job!

Bill J
05-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Thanks Yorky, I agree with you 100%. I've learned a lot from this post and so have a few others as noted by there responces.

Strawberry Wine
05-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Bill: Thanks for the W.I.P.. Excellent advice given to you to create a wonderful finish to this painting. I love that full blown sail. I am wondering if there should be a tad more red in the reflection o f the sail, since the water is so turquoise and clear it could stand to showmore colours in the reflection.

Great critique from Brian. Stick around Brian, not just a critique but excellent directions on how to's as well.

Gail

seedy
05-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Bill;
Waves look good...the second one should be better and if you
are around sailboats a lot, think of how easy the others will be...Then you'll be the "go to" guy.

Thanks Strawberry.

Take care,
Brian

Bill J
05-02-2003, 10:20 AM
thanks Nina & Strawberrie

Brian -Your the guy that was key in this project and I appreciate it very much. I just returned from a 3,000 mile sailing trip to Panama and back to Florida and took hundreds of photos. Now before I start a pic from one of these photos, I'll say waves, reflections, shadows. It won't be a piece of cake but it will be a heck of a lot easyer. --A gin and tonic bracer to you Brian--

bill

lyn lynch
05-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Looks good, Bill.
Any of those sailboat shots have palm trees on the shore line?

seedy
05-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Bill;
Good stuff...can't wait to tear into the next one....seriously thought, are'nt watercolours a great medium for sailboats?
Just a little to early for gin!!!!!
Brian