PDA

View Full Version : Horses head. Finished or not!

Jocundall
03-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm usually an acrylic painter, this is my first oil. Hes only a small painting about 10x8"
I'm hoping hes finished as I keep pondering but not happy with the silverware or the ears.
Any advice? Can anyone see anything else wrong before I tell the customer he's all done :rolleyes:
Also how long does oil take to dry? The background still sticky after a few days!!:confused:

KarenESP
03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Love it! (:

chammi kaiser
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Beautiful horse and wonderfully painted. I really like that background too. Oils take quite a while to dry. All depends on the conditions, warm, humid etc. On an average, around one to two weeks if the air is dry and warm - also depending on what mediums you used.

kasey1
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
nice job and the tack looks good. i have a problem with the ears though. do you have a reference photo to share..........

~JMW~
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I found a similar pose. But if you have a ref photo it will help.

The ears usually have a bump at the base on the back side, it's part of the area that allows them to rotate their ears.
A well bred horse will have clean, refined & nicely defined ears.
see how the open area of the ear is so much longer and more open?
A show horse will probably have had it's ear hair clipped.
If you study it you will see it, then just getting the hands & brushes to do what you want...

The muzzle seems to be faded compared to his body colors, I don't know if that's how the horse really is or not.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2012/50585-WebCopy_of_Flying_Spur_Gallant_Miss_Main_Headshot.jpg

Jocundall
03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
heres the original, i see that bump at base of ear on the other photo (thanks for that) and yes mine is missing! I'll have to do that.

Jocundall
03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
The muzzle is the same colour as the rest, it's my awful camera phone put a glare on it!

ArtbyPeggy
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Very nicely done! I've never painted in acrylic or oils!
My suggestion on the ears would be to create a little more depth at the base because your painting looks like the left ear (our left) stops to soon. Bring that slight hint of the opening all the way to the top of the horses headstall and add just a little more depth to the horses right ear (our right).
Over all, this is one fantastic painting!

Jocundall
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes I agree with that. I've closed them up and they shouldn't be, I knew something bugged me!

Lexycat
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
I dont paint either so offer anything more than has been already said, but I really like the warmth and soft look of this, very appealing!

Barb'sArt
03-07-2012, 04:19 PM
I think you are doing a brilliant job, and with the few suggestions you've been given would make it more so! Great work!:)

palettetalk
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Glad you are going to fix those ears as they are too 'closed' and look very odd to me.
Oils take between 3 to 6 months to dry before you can apply varnish. I suggest you spend some time researching the Gamblin web site about oil painting - it has a ton of information.

Dave Hawk
03-07-2012, 10:58 PM
This is a very well thought out painting. The ears ate the only draw back for me. Love the shading.

skappy
03-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Nice portrait I do not paint horses so I would nt have noticed the back ear bump but well spoted I think the faded muzzle is due to a reflection
Robert