PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot ... Week 26th April - 3rd May

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the weekly pastel riot ....... this is about seeing the different interpretations of styles, choices of colours, technique, paper etc
The main thing is to enjoy what you do ...... open to anyone and everyone who wants to participate, only stipulation is that it is in 'pastels'

you have a choice of any of all or some of the ref photos, which are all from WC's extensive library...... the first being our own :) Jamie ..... Ive seen paintings of this before, and they have all turned out wonderfully, but I dont recall seeing a pastel of it before. This weeks I thought 'Light, and Reflection'

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12116-137666bottlesonwindowsill-thumb.jpg
Link to larger pic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=8659&papass=&sort=1

this is by 'cheryl'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12116-heron1-thumb.jpg
link to larger pic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=14003&papass=&sort=1

this one by 'mustcreate'
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12116-grapeslightened-thumb.jpg
Link to larger pic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=13299&papass=&sort=1

Dont Forget:
The First one to post their painting is to open the following weeks thread with their own choices of reference photos

ginatec
04-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi Dawn

That's a nice selection of reference pictures. I will be away a week on holiday in Madrid...going to get 'nose close' to Vinny Van and check out the brush strokes, also Goya and maybe Picasso or Dali in the 'Reina Sofia' depending which are still on exhibition. See you guys soon!

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Lol Gina, I always wondered where people in Spain go for their holidays .... bring us back a stick of rock :) ..... Ill pick it up in July lolol - have a great time

Mo.
04-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Good interesting choice Dawn..Love that heron. :)

Gina... have a great holiday...make that 2 sticks of rock! :)

Cheers,

Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Actually Mo, I thought of you when I saw the Heron....... erm :o lol if you get my meaning :D

E-J
04-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Well, this is my first time in a Pastel Riot... This is 22 x 17 cm, soft & hard pastels on Dakota pastel board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2003/13865-grapes_sml.jpg

I'd hoped this board would be a bit like Wallis but as it turned out, it felt more like LaCarte and seemed to need loads of layers of pastel [and blending with a colour shaper] before the surface looked anywhere near covered. I also got a bit frustrated with the glass. Anyway, tis finished, I think.

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Ohhhhhh excellent EJ...... love it :clap: ...... well done to you ....... you get first prize ..... wooooo hoooooo...... you get to open up next weeks Riot
I cant remember what I tried on that one (dakota board)......think it was the tulips from last week......and wasnt impressed with my effort..... gonna scrub it off .......

I really love this one EJ...... are you pleased with it?

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 03:27 PM
PS ..... thanks EJ...... was beginning to think I posted a 'White Elephant' here :D

I keep popping back in to look at this...... love it.... its in ya face... and love it..... wonderful colours.... like the effect of the light on the cut glass..... realllllllll good un

E-J
04-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks Dawn. I'm not happy with ANYTHING today... my white lion, these grapes... gaaaaaaaaaaaah I don't know what's got into me. But it helps to go away and sulk a bit and then come back and take another look ~ I do like this more now than I did. In fact the colours look fresher/brighter in this pic than they do in the painting itself: in real life the blue bits are darker, more purplish, and I was/am convinced that I'd muddied the colours... my current obsession :) Getting back to the timed sketches may help me! I'll stop whingeing now :D :D

Dark_Shades
04-27-2003, 03:35 PM
I know what you mean EJ ..... I think everyone goes through that.... get days, weeks even.... everything is C**p....... and then a good one pops out of no where lol ........ lol well thats what Im hoping for ..... I get so annoyed with myself.... wait for the weekend to come to get a great deal of painting done, and then I turn out :p :p :p

Dont forget .... you got a week now to select your choices for next week :) ...... should be interesting lol

sundiver
04-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Wow, E-J, this is wonderful! :clap:

Mo.
04-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Wonderful work E-J those grapes and the cut glass are superb!:clap:

Dawn..this is no white ellie...early days yet.. I made start on the heron today, haven't done much...too many interuptions to settle to paint, your choice of pics is great, may even try the bottles.Hahaha!

Cheers,
Mo.

soap
04-28-2003, 03:38 AM
Oh, nice work E-J!!
Dakota Pastel board is a no-no for you then??
If I may 'use' this thread for some of my questions......I was wondering if anybody knows Royal Sovereign Pastel Card? Is it in any way similar to other cards?? Like Art Spectrum of Pastel Card from Sennelier? And if the paper is not lightfast....that does only mean the colour might fade, but not my pastel colours?? right?

Soap

Luvy
04-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Ej that Glass is perfect. I'll take a grape but keep Dark out of them She hogs them all LOL

Well I'm working on this but not sure if I like his feathers. Took me forever to get his neck right, I think it's close now.

12 x16 cason

Dark_Shades
04-28-2003, 12:20 PM
lolol Luvy ...... ohhhhh your Heron is looking wonderful.... keep going...... this is a good un ..... you have got he's face and neck perfect

angeline
04-28-2003, 12:28 PM
EJ.....You are really comming on so well! Love those Grapes!
Luvy.......stop putting yourself down! You are doing great on the Heron.
As for me hi everyone! I am still lurking and have been doing some bits just not on time for the threads!
I'm working 4 nights a week now and although I get some time to do pastels at work on my break ....getting them in here is not so easy :(
I feel like I have missed so much!

Luvy
04-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Well I'm done with this. That water and foliage is driving me crazy.

Going to go clean more carpeting. Did the livingroom this morning. Took a break and now it's back to the carpets

Dark_Shades
04-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Hi Angeline.......

Luvy....... I think this turned out lovely...... should be pleased with this...... think the water is great...... some lovely colours in the bird...... and with the added green for the foliage.... its all added up to a really nice painting

E-J
04-28-2003, 02:58 PM
L

E-J
04-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Luvy ~ well done on the heron! :) ~ Dawn's right, the water is excellent. With this and your 'jug' painting, it seems you're becoming something of an expert at water.

Hayley/angeline ~ do you mean you've done some timed sketches but haven't been able to post them before the end of the weekly thread? If so, just post them the following week... show us what you've done... it doesn't matter if they're a bit late... unless Dawn cracks her whip and tells us it does, LOL

E-J
04-28-2003, 03:02 PM
Um... no idea what happened up there... L??? LOL

sundiver
04-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Luvy, your heron is lovely. (And waaaay more fun than cleaning carpets lol!)
I wanted to do the grapes but the composition made me uncomfortable- I do NOT know why. So I cropped it, then flipped it to mirror image before drawing it. 5x7 oil pastel , like everything else I've done lately :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2003/6393-crapes_croppedandmirrored.jpg

Dark_Shades
04-28-2003, 05:48 PM
what a clever Idea Wendy...... turned out great too.... love the close crop ....... something about these grapes pictures..... think are so pleasing and refreshing..... dont know if its the colours.... light..... prob both....... another good one
....... are you pleased with this one now?

E-J
04-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Wendy ~ lovely, luminous grapes. It's funny seeing a different interpretation and yet recognising each and every grape from when I painted my own version :D Like your suggestion of the bowl, too.

angeline
04-29-2003, 02:51 AM
Hi EJ and DS Yes I have done a quicky.........those tulips......I have also done a larger more worked on peice of the same reference pic because someone from work saw me doing this one and wanted a larger version for their lounge!
Will have to get a photo of the other one then i may post the 2 as my entry for the project......I have just gone right off the roses!:(
As you can see this is rough....done in an hour at work and I really wanted to capture the feel of the pic........it's 12inch by 9 done on beige ingres pad paper in my schminkes......just love those colours in the 60 half set!:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/19726-Roughtulips.jpg

angeline
04-29-2003, 02:56 AM
Oh that turned out a tad small..........here's a better look.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/19726-roughtulips1.jpg

E-J
04-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Well, this is my first time in a Pastel Riot...

I've just realised I lied to you all :D Had forgotten I did the bananas in rd2ruin's Pastel Riot last month. So I'm not a riot virgin after all!

Hayley ~ I haven't tried Schminckes... bet they're lovely and soft... I like the loose feel you've got in this picture and the light really looks like light!

Dark_Shades
04-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by E-J

I've just realised I lied to you all :D Had forgotten I did the bananas in rd2ruin's Pastel Riot last month. So I'm not a riot virgin after all!

and what a way to lose it too :D :evil: ROFLMA!!!!! OFF hee heee :eek:

Dark_Shades
04-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by angeline
Oh that turned out a tad small..........here's a better look.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2003/19726-roughtulips1.jpg

this is nice angeline..... got some nice strong colours, when I tried it, it came out all wishy washy :)

Smudger
04-30-2003, 11:54 AM
great work everyone:clap: :clap: i hope to be able to participate next week... DS i have missed you:D

Dark_Shades
04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
hey smudger :) ........ where on earth have you been?

your absence has been noted into my AWOL register :evil:
Louie the cat is in there too

Smudger
04-30-2003, 12:28 PM
hey smudger ........ where on earth have you been?

A 3 week round trip to hell and back... but i'm ok now:D

angeline
04-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks EJ yes the schminkes are lovely! I love them so much I'm happy just to look at the opened box!....lol how sad is that....the colours are to die for and yes soft as butter to work with. Jackie recommended them to me.
DS bet yours looks good.
Because I was working to time I perhaps used stronger colours to get the atmosphere in the time frame.
Might get something else done this week yet!

Dark_Shades
04-30-2003, 01:40 PM
...... well I scribbled this out on getting home from work tonight :D ..... was panicing as the thread is nearly over and I hadnt posted anything...... so just carried the pic on from the green one tried out in oil pastels.
The paper is far too small for me, to get details..... so just had to use my imagination hee hee....... need to put some reflections on the ground........

ohhhh its titled Lotta Bottle lolol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/12116-lotta_bottle.jpg

Mo.
04-30-2003, 05:27 PM
Wendy those grapes are super, luscious and luminous, love the play of light you got there...

Ang super tulips...only an hour? WOW!Congrats on your ur sale too:clap:

Welcome back Smudger, you've been missed. :)

Dawn...Super little bit of scribbling, wish I could scribble so well..did you do them all in O.P's? I was thinking about having a try at them, chickend out so far. :)

Well this is my second attempt at the heron, wish I hadn't bothered now an hours work on green cansons, with very little pastel used..sorry bad flash pic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/5154-heron.jpg

E-J
04-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Love the colours in this, Mo ~ they remind me of the bluebird painting you did. Very atmospheric.

Dark_Shades
05-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Wendy those grapes are super, luscious and luminous, love the play of light you got there...

Ang super tulips...only an hour? WOW!Congrats on your ur sale too:clap:

Welcome back Smudger, you've been missed. :)

Dawn...Super little bit of scribbling, wish I could scribble so well..did you do them all in O.P's? I was thinking about having a try at them, chickend out so far. :)

Well this is my second attempt at the heron, wish I hadn't bothered now an hours work on green cansons, with very little pastel used..sorry bad flash pic.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2003/5154-heron.jpg

Nice one Mo ...... I like the effect you get.... Ive noticed, not sure if its intentional or not..... but this one looks like in moonlight, your swan did too..... I like it

.... only the green bottle was in OP's

Mo.
05-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Heehee..Dawn that was supposed to be the effect...:D

I've binned it now...used the back for practising on first though.:)

Love those bottles, you are very brave to tackle them..are you pleased with it, will you develop it more?

M.

bnoonan
05-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Looking good - all of you!!!

Those grapes that you've both captured are tremendous.

EJ, I really like the white dusting on the grapes and the way you defined and described the cut glass bowl. Excellent and oh so not virginal.

Luvy your heron is wonderful! The water and the blue on the bill is quite well done.

Wendy, That yellow and red grape color combination sings in that composition. Also like the light blue reflection up off the table on each grape.Great cropping.

Mo, Glad to see you got in there and did the heron too. I love seeing the different ways people approach the same subject. Amazing what you captured in only one hour with few colors. Great job.

Angie - love the tulips and I'm thrilled for you that someone at work noticed it and ordered one up. Beautiful lighting and colors.

Dawn - you've got to stop hitting the bottle. Actually well done. I didn't realize how difficult it is to draw bottles with matching sides until I attempted this recently. YOu did this beautifully!!!

Catch up with you guys some day. For now I'm onto more portraits.

Great job Dawn!!

Barb

pampe
05-02-2003, 07:10 PM
ok...old newbie here

what's the difference between this thread and the other weekly one?

Mo.
05-02-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi Pampe... the difference is that you choose one of the photos given and paint your interpretation of it...you are not tied to time, the other one is for quick life sketches /paintings.

also the first person to post a painting takes on the thread for the following week. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

bnoonan
05-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Hey Pam,
Get right on that and paint one of those will you???? Just kidding.

(nice outfit on the gal in your comment part).

B

pampe
05-02-2003, 10:40 PM
KAY

I'm there for next week

Noonan...tis me a million years ago:evil: ;) :evil:

erinj
05-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi Everybody, Can I join you?

I loved the tulips, little bottles and other heron versions. And, oh boy, especially the grapes and crystal. Beautiful!

I am liking birds more and more, and this little sketch is dedicated to the poor wild ducklings who were hatched near my swimming pool and didn't make it this cold spring!
My water here seems to look like snow! So, although I've never tried snow before... maybe I won't be so afraid to try painting it in the future! LOL!
Thanks for looking and for any comments!

Erin

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2003/14716-heron.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 04:12 AM
Welcome aboard ErinJ....... I think you have done an absolutely wonderful job on this one........ I like alll the elements...... and the colours you have used.......... the water effect is brilliant and doesnt look like snow to me

well done to you

........ awwwwww those poor little ducklings :crying:

E-J
05-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Erin :clap: Beautiful water ripples! I love the way you've used the blues in the heron's feathers and his reflection.

Mo, can't believe you binned yours ~ I liked it!!