PDA

View Full Version : Scanning question

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Does anyone know how to scan a painting that is large in two halves and put it back together again using photoshop.
Thanks
Carolyn

coffee_girl3000
04-26-2003, 01:43 PM
I just copy one half into the other halves' file, then stitch them together. But thats on MS Paint, don't know if you can do that on Photoshop. I'd imagine you can.

madmum
04-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Carolyn, yes, after alot of problems I worked it out!

[list=1]
Open both images in photoshop
Change the canvas size of one image so the whole painting will fit and anchor image to the side which it fits in using the box with arrows.
Create a new layer in the large canvas.
Select the second image, copy and paste into large canvas as new layer.
select the move tool (4 arrows in diff. directions) and move the top layer until it matches up.
Crop excess canvas and save.
[/list=1]

Hope that makes sense?

Ruth

Rosemarie
04-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Here is an old address on Wetcanvas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/StudioTips/ScanBigImages/index.html

I hope it'll help!:confused:

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks Ruth and Sarah,
Ruth, I have tried several times but creating a new layer is where I get into trouble. I think I am somewhat challenged by this program. I have read the help questions etc. in help index. but I still cannot manage. I will certainly try again later. Thanks.
Carolyn

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks Rosemarie
I hope to try this soon.
Carolyn

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 05:20 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well, problem solved. I used information from Ruth. It took awhile, but I finally got it. I just wish I could get rid of the line between the two pastes. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything. Thanks again ya.
Carolyn

Phillip
04-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi Carolyn
I might be able to help you out with this.
There is a program that will do this automatically for you, it came with me printer, If I remember right I think it is a free program, I will check to see if I can find a link where you can download it. otherwise I can help you out with photo-shop.
Been using photo-shop for many years now.

Crystal Owl
04-26-2003, 06:33 PM
I just did that recently with a photo in photo shop. I can't remember under which thing it is but you take both photos and click panorama? It stitched them both together perfectly.

Irene

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks Phillip and CrystalOwl
I would be interested in another simplier program than photoshop to do this. Thanks
Also Crystal I am going to look into trying to find what you said. Thanks :0)
Carolyn

moondancer79
04-28-2003, 04:55 AM
make sure that your 2 scans have an overlap. trim the edges and then when you had the second layer have it overlapping the 1st layer. the line down the middle tends to be the edge of the scan so removing the edges prior to combining should remove the line as well. hope this helps

moondancer79
04-28-2003, 04:57 AM
you could also try using progran infranview at www.infranview.com (http://www.infranview.com)

its a freeware program for basic uses. you only have to pay for some of the more advanced features.

Phillip
04-28-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi Sorry I took so long to get back to you.
The program I mentioned earlier on is not a free-ware, I don't even think you can purchase, It only comes with the more expensive printers.

Otherwise their are some great tips above.

But how I do mine in photoshop. I create a new canvas large enough so than both images fit in, then open both images & drag into the new canvas, than I use the healing brush & the Clone stamp tool to blend the joints.

There are other ways to do it but I find above the quickest.
Particularly if the pictures do not need to be of the highest quality.