PDA

View Full Version : Portrait advice needed

Yorky
04-26-2003, 01:12 PM
OK they talked me into the portrait exchange project - but I haven't the first idea how to go about it.:(

Here's as far as I got with a portrait of Pampe - no pre drawing, all brushwork. Is it too far gone to make something of it - or do I start again with a sketch?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/1046-PampePortrait1.jpg

Doug

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 01:18 PM
I think it's great. It's up to you but MHO is that its a wee bit flat on top left. Maybe fluff up her hair a little bit, otherwise it is great!
Carolyn

babybrush
04-26-2003, 01:28 PM
needs more hair and shadows in eye sockets.

bethany

Yorky
04-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks Carolyn abd Bethany, I'll see what I can do.

I really admire you folks who paint portraits.

Doug

sweetbabydill
04-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Yorky, I really haven't tried my hand at portraits yet so it will certainly be interesting when I do. I really think you have done a pretty good job.
Carolyn

Sharon Douglas
04-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi FRANK,
This is good especially considering that it`s all done withut a sketch.
When you try it again, it might help to begin with a basic egg shape to get the shape of the head a bit more accurate, it looks slightly triangular at the moment.
"GLADYS PAINTER" ....lol......:evil:

Sandy1
04-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Great job. You have already gotten good advice, so I will say bravo for doing a portrait without a sketch.
Sandy

artmom
04-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Doug--great job--great advice--all I can say is "Where's Pam's purple????" LOL

Lyn

jaytee
04-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Doug/Yorky/Frank

I would have know it was Pamps so it cant be bad :D

Useful tip........... the eyes are almost allways half way down the head, looked at straight on............ measure your own tinyhead portrait.......... youll be suprised :D

Yorky
04-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks GLADYS, Sandy, Lyn, Jaytee,

Thanks for the advice, I divided my pad into 4 to paint this so I have three more spaces to get it right. In the past the only way I could get a likeness was to trace the main features from an enlarged print, but perhaps this is cheating - I'd love to be able to do loose portraits like Fookie does.

Perhaps I ought to explain Sharon's and my new nicknames - we were at the Opie Museum at Wigan pier yesterday and were brought into a sketch about the opening of the first Butlin's holiday camp at Skegness - that's where we got our names :D

Anyway, I'll have another go.

Frank - I mean Doug:)

lyn lynch
04-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Doug: Please don't confuse me w/these name changes, unless you are wanting to be called Doreen, that is. Fookie tracing these portraits...no, not cheating...project is NOT Drawing Portraits. I don't have the rest of my life to do this project; at least I hope I don't.

Also, I trace the outline of the face and pulse points, i.e., corners of eyes and mouth, etc. and then fill it in with pencil. I used to draw entirely and have work right on. Then, paint it and it's all wrong. When we had poll draw or trace, I read comments of others and think it good idea to do this, so I do. In portrait, how shadows are painted is the big deal. Trace.