PDA

View Full Version : Tiger (1) WIP....

Wingnut
04-26-2003, 10:18 AM
I got some nice photos of the tiger at the zoo last week, so I figured its high time I enter something in my own Big Cats art project (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=164) :D

This is my reference photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/5883-wingnutstigerphoto42603.jpg

...after cropping, manipulating, changing contrast, and a slew of other stuff in PSP (yes, I'll fix the end of his tail in the actual piece ;) ) I haven't started the first sketch because I'm not sure what to do with the lower right corner. I don't like all the messy roots there and need to change it. I'm up for suggestions if anybody has any? I also need more green since the only spot of green is currently smack dab in the center! However, I don't think adding a big green bush to the corner is the answer :( anybody got any bright ideas?

Caron
04-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Wingnut, this is going to be fabulous! How about taking out the brown clutter and adding some groundcover and mosses to the forground rock with some clumps of dead grasses dispursed thruout? Also spuradically thruout the other rocks as well. That way you are leaving the surrounding he is in but adding in the greens that you want without making clumpy bushes....

Wingnut
04-26-2003, 10:55 AM
That's along the lines of what I was thinking... but you don't think some smart-butt will come along and say "Hey! Trees don't grow out of rocks!" :rolleyes: :p lol!

Caron
04-26-2003, 11:17 AM
No, trees dont grow OUT of rocks, but they can and do grow AROUND them....:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/6331-tree.jpg

Wingnut
04-26-2003, 11:25 AM
:eek: What the.... ? How strange

Suzy78
04-26-2003, 03:01 PM
How very interesting...maybe Caron will let you incorporate that very strange tree and rock into your painting? You could add some flowering mosses and lichens to the rock for greenery and color instead of all the twigs...

Suzy

lorna12
04-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Oh I can't wait to see the painting!!! Great photo!!

I agree with the others about the moss and whatnot, scattered about instead of all that brown ground cover.

That other tree photo would make a great painting all on it's own, it's so unusual. Don't know if I would want that in with the tiger, stealing it's thunder, so to speak. Just MHO.

Caron
04-26-2003, 05:00 PM
But what she could do is incorporate the root system onto the existing tree in the photo. Im just showing that it does exist and she can leave the tree where it is in the photo but perhaps slightly show the root system but not to a degree that it will take away from the subject.-just enough for those that would question a tree being ontop of a rock...:)

Wingnut
04-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the input :)

I think I'm going to add a bit of toned down (mud green) grass here and there, add some rocks (cliff type edge) to the right side, with the tree roots showing between, and paint the whole thing on about a 4 foot sheet of hardboard (not quite life-sized) so it looks like he's going to step down out of the painting. Time to break out the paintbrushes ;) hope my easle can handle it. I'm also going to have to try to do it in acrylics, that way I can be sure it will be dry whenever we decide to move (that would suck if it got damaged :( ) I'll do a smaller loose color study first, just to make sure I know what goes where later when its huge! I have another zebra pic to do too - they should go great together when they are done.

Check out the colors in his coat... hot pink on his head, purple in his tail, and lots of green between! :D don't know how much I'll get in, but it sure looks cool!

I had another thread for this going in the CP forum, but all actual WIP updates will be here (esp. now that I'm not doing it in CP)

Crias
04-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Looks like it will be great Wing!

If you need any other ref pics of this same tiger in similar positions let me know. I know I have several of them walking. Was this the male or female?

BTW I've seen LOTS of trees growing out of rocks. The seed gets blown into a small crevase in the rock and gets rained on and will appear to grow out of the rock. It's something I have seen so often I never even thought to take pics of it...LOL

Leslie Pz
04-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Trees REALLY have a "will to live". They'll try to grow, anywhere! I've seen trees grow from within cracks in rocks, too!

This is going to be a great piece! I can't wait to see!
-Les

Paul Hopkinson
04-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Well Wingnut this is going to look great! I will be interested in what you are going to do with the bottom right hand corner and if you decided to get rid of that tree, then which reference photo you will use to make up the missing details of the hind quarters.
I will keep my eyes wide open for this one!
Paul