PDA

View Full Version : Preparation

coffee_girl3000
04-26-2003, 05:29 AM
Could be the most incredibly bad scan ever.......

Anyway, this is last night's effort, I remember the little, rather annoying children and their brightly coloured suits vividly. They had a habit of shoving you out of the way with a sharp ski pole, to get into the queues. So when I saw that I had a photo of them (was actually trying to capture the delicate play of light and shadow on distant mountains), I thought I'd paint it.

There is a lot not showing on the scan e.g. there are shadows and textures in the snow, the clothing is much brighter etc etc. Use your imaginations!

Comments/critique always welcome, yous all know that.

EDIT: Forgot the ref :).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12307-lecoleski1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/12307-lecoleduski1.jpg

M.A.
04-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Wow. I think this is wonderful!!! I like your editing from ref to painting, like the colours.

painterbear
04-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Hi Sarah,

Glad to see you back and painting. Like your new tinyhead too.

You did a really good job on composition. I think paring down the group to the three little "kiddies" as you did was a good idea.

The only little nit I would have is that the distant mountains seem a little dark. In the reference photo they are more of a softer gray which makes them seem more distant.

artmom
04-26-2003, 07:13 AM
Hi, Sarah, glad to see you back and with such a great piece!

Good rendering of action, good composition, but, IMO, since Pampe's not here--purple!:D Particularly in the mountain--maybe lift some of those darks and replace with purple. As Painterbear says, it will drop it back some.

Lyn

CharM
04-26-2003, 07:35 AM
Sarah, this is great! You did this in an evening?????? I love your edited version of the kids!!!! I cannot see whether or not there is anything in the red guy's outstretched arm... Probably your scan and my monitor... In the ref, he's wrestling with another kid... In your painting, he appears to be skiing away...

Uschi
04-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Sarah, this is very good!!!! I like it just as is!!!! Want to paint myself in there HA!
Uschi

Little Old Lady
04-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Very nice rendition of your photo.
JoAnn

Yorky
04-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Good job, Sarah.

I agree that the mountains need to be toned down to give them distance. The red gut needs ski sticks to make him believable.

Well done!

Doug

Crystal Owl
04-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Nice job Sarah, I kind of like the mountain looking closer :)

Irene

coffee_girl3000
04-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Yorky

The red gut needs ski sticks to make him believable.

Doug

Red gut... :D. A lot of the instructors didn't have poles. It's easier to learn without them, and they often taught the kids just with their skis.

As for the mountain, on a sunny day was very dark, but maybe not that dark :). Will tone it down a little.

Thankyou all for commenting! It's good to just be painting things again.

JanJones
04-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Good job, I think this is great and the mountains look wonderful.

lyn lynch
04-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Excellent job, Sarah. BTW I didn't look at the reference, I don't care about it.

The painting is just wonderful, good action in my opinion, cast shadows look terrific. All I see for correction consideration are the dark arrows, particularly the one above the instructor. Instantly see it and looks like a computer graphic insert of "look here".

Love the tiny head, too. I know you already submitted baby photo to Portrait Exchange because I snagged it. Suggest you enter tinyhead reference into your personal RIL in event someone wants to use that instead of baby.

Jprice022
04-26-2003, 10:45 PM
Nicely done Coffeegirl. Reference looks rather gloomy next to your painting. I agree with Doug on the mountains and ski poles.