PDA

View Full Version : new member, new to watercolor

sisangel
04-26-2003, 12:23 AM
Hello fellow members. I am a new member and have just begun to do watercolors. I have been reading the threads and have really enjoyed your paintings.
I have finished 5 paintings and have trashed 3. All the painting were done as a step-by-step lesson from books. I would like to do a painting "on my own". (have been talking many photographs)

I wish to paint a rainbow on a dark blue background.

1. which blue would be best to use?
2. what order do I paint?
3. would I be best to use mask on rainbow and then paint it in wet-on-dry?

I really am learning a lot from you all and am looking forward to getting to know you and jumping in on some discussions.
Thank you for your advice,
Bonnie

Phillip
04-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Hi sisangel welcome to WC.

Sorry I can't help you with that as I am a beginner,

You will learn lots here, I know I have.

CharM
04-26-2003, 12:56 AM
Welcome to WC Bonnie... If you click on the second message thread in this forum, it will take you to a wealth of information and articles. There you will find everything from "How To's" to WIP's (Work In Progress)... Happy reading!!! :)

Rod
04-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Welcome to Watercolours Bonnie ,

You will find plenty of info in the sticky thread .

French Ultramarine would be an ideal blue with a touch of light red just to dull slightly.

You could mask off the rainbow area and paint the sky, then remove the masking fluid and soften the edge with a damp brush.

Then paint in the rainbow when dry.

With watercolours we try and preserve our whites by letting the paper show through and generally paint from light to darks,

Rod.

Bill J
04-26-2003, 01:23 AM
I would forget the dark blue backround for the time being and use your trashed pics flip side. Never throw stuff away until you have used both sides and edges for tests. Try several small rainbows on a sheet (experiment,) also try wet on wet for blending of colors, Next try primary and seconday colors and blending, after a while you will get something you like. Hope this helps
bill

lyn lynch
04-26-2003, 01:30 AM
Welcome, Bonnie,
I made 5 this week and threw away 3 also. LOL, sometimes the bear get you and sometimes you get the bear.

In addition to the tips mentioned, be sure to visit the main [home] page of WetCanvas! where you will find many step by step tutorials, one created by our very own Mchew on landscapes.

Try your rainbow several different ways to become more familiar w/your medium. Do one as Rod suggested, and then another like this:
Paint the background wet into wet around the rainbow.
Turn your paper upside down and wet just the top portion of the sky, then lay your paint and hold your paper up so the paint runs toward the top edge. You can tilt the paper side to side a bit. As it begins to dry and settle, you can use a wadded tissue to pick up some paint and thus creating clouds. Finally lay it flat to dry, or use a hair dryer. Don't add anymore paint until it is dry.

Then, invert your paper so the bottom edge is facing you and do the same thing.

This should produce a bit of a hard edge around your rainbow and some interesting effects in the sky.

You can add additional layers, perhaps in uneven washes to add depth to the sky.

[Rainbow: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet] To paint the rainbow, dampen letting it bleed into the next color area to create the rainbow with color mixed on the paper.

Good luck. Many different ways to approach this subject. Subject matter is good reference for practice w/the paint.

Nandie
04-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Hi Bonnie and welcome to wetcanvas!!

I don't know much about painting rainbows so I'll let the others advise you on that - you've already gotten some excellent advice. But I hope you'll show us some of your work soon, even if it is "step by step" lessons out of a book..... many of us learn that way and we learn even more when we seek each other's honest opinions.

Anyway, glad you're here..... you 'll like it here, this is a fun bunch of people.:D

artmom
04-26-2003, 07:20 AM
Hello, Bonnie, and welcome to the watercolor forum. Glad you are out of lurk mode!:) You've gotten good advice above--so I'll just say "Ditto!"

Lyn

P.S. ((Nandie)), good to see you posting!

K8Black
04-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Welcome to Wet Canvas Bonnie! This is a wonderful community here with very helpful people. I have learned so much here from all these generous folks. Have fun and show us your paintings!

Kate

Strawberry Wine
04-26-2003, 07:42 AM
Wecome Bonnie:

You have been given lots of good advice already to get you pointed in the right direction.

I have been painting watercolour for about 9 months now and would not have gotten anywhere without the books and turorials available. I still use them and probably always be buying new books or learning from others works in progress or tutorials.

I must say that all the great artists on this site have been my biggest resource. So post a painting, any painting big or small and you will get tons of feedback.

Looking forward to seeing your work

Gail

nailbender
04-26-2003, 07:49 AM
Welcome to WC. it is a great place to come.
As for the trashed attempts, I have found, that if I just put them in a pile, and every now and then go back to them. I can see a way of improving them. Some times after sever attempts way, I have fire starter, then I trash them. But I have learned many things by doing this. (Sometimes I will learn a new way of doing something on WC and it is just what I need to correct a painting. And sometimes it keeps me from making the same mistake again. Bob

Uschi
04-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Hi Bonnie! I am a flower girl so have no idea re rainbow, just wanted to say WELCOME!!!!!
Uschi

Little Old Lady
04-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Welcome Bonnie. You already have some good advice on uyour rainbos. Post the ones you didn't trash and you will get some good feedback. Check out Daily wash to get to know some of us better.
JoAnn

Yorky
04-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Welcome to Watercolours Bonnie ,

You're starting on a journey of discovery. It might take a while to get satisfying results, but that's the price you pay for mastering this wondrful medium.

You got good advice from everyone, but keep those first paintings to look back at - then you will see what progress you have made. By the way I started 3 paintings this week and finished none.

Doug

daveshattuck
04-26-2003, 09:14 AM
welcome bonnie

i hope you will find this site as excellent as i have. i have been doing watercolors just a few months and i love it. if you did 5, don't trash the three. save them as i do, good or bad, to check your progress. best painting to you

dave

Sandy1
04-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Welcome to WC Bonnie. Enjoy.

sisangel
04-26-2003, 10:47 AM
A big thanks to all of you for your very warm welcome.

The advice is wonderful and I am going to print it out and save for frequent reference. I will be sure to check out the sticky thread. I found mchew's article to be most helpful and think he did a wonderful job on his first article. I hope to see more.

Now that we have broken the ice, I do think it would be helpful to have you look at some of my work. I think I will show you the first painting and the last. You will be able to see how I have loosend up on my use of colors. I'm not realy sure where to show to my work, but I'll nose a round the site and get to know it a little better.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Bonnie

hopefulbucky
04-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Welcome Bonnie,

I am also a newbie to WC and to this site. The advice people are willing to give is priceless. Everyone is very friendly and make you feel very welcome. I haven't posted anything yet in this forum but did in one of the other forums. It is not difficult and if you read the article re posting it is extremely helpful. I have spent huge amounts of time exploring this entire site and haven't finished yet. There is just soooo much info here.

Good luck, happy painting, post your work and welcome. :)