PDA

View Full Version : Color mixing question

l_wheat
04-25-2003, 11:59 PM
Hi All, I just wanted to know what mixes make a good sepia color? I have a cheapo reeves 18 tube set and am new to color theory and mixing, any help would be greatly appreciaed.
Thanks, Lloyd

CharM
04-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Lloyd... Click on the second message thread in this forum... It will take you to a vast number of articles. There is a Virtual Pallette available to you, listed in the Community Channel... Good luck!!!

l_wheat
04-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks CharM

Rod
04-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Try raw sienna and light red if you have them ,

Rod.

M.A.
04-26-2003, 05:40 AM
Sienna is basically a neutral. I think you could also play with mixing complementary colours to achieve it. Try mixing red with green, it'll turn into a chestnut colour, possibly close to sepia. Vary the amounts of green v red ... play with it.

It's fun to mix colours!!!

(Other complements to mix for neutrals: blue and orange, yellow and purple ... but my moneys on the red and green combo.)

Also, fwiw - when you're ready to move up to better quality paints, skip the middle level quality and go artist quality (see winsornewton.com ... on their Web site they have listed the colours you should start with for a three colour mixing system and a six colour mixing system -- you'll have better quality paints that way and if you're into mixing your own colours you'll end up saving a bundle but have best quality to begin there). Good luck, let us know how it works for you.