PDA

View Full Version : The Artist's Problem Solver

Bobbie
04-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Hello, Friends,

I just received from North Light Book Club The Artist's Problem Solver Edited by Sally Bulgin. In it there are approx. 15 paintings by our famous Jackie Simmonds that are simply gorgoeus.
I am going to try to upload 2 of my favorites from this book.
I will also try to upload the cover of one of Jackie's videos with my all time favorite (so far ;.) painting. I think it's entitled 5 cats? Well wish me luck!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/1811-Curiosity.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/1811-Resting.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/1811-Pastel_Workout.jpg:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bobbie
04-25-2003, 08:05 PM
YES!!!!!!
I did it. Oh my gosh I am soooooo proud of myself. Redsy, you don't have to do my "stuff" for me anymore.
My arm is getting so tired patting myself on the back.

The titles of Jackies paintings are: Resting, Curiosity (pix of children) & I think the video is obvious.

butterfly
04-26-2003, 12:20 AM
Bobbie: Thank you for sharing ... that was very nice!

And Jackie ... CONGRATULATIONS! It is a real pleasure and honor to be able to communicate with you through not only your books website and personal e-mail, but through WC and you take the time to answer all of us. You are amazing, thank you.

Butterfly/Roni

CarlyHardy
04-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Bobbie, how about sharing a review of the book! What kinds of problems does it talk about? How does it present the solutions? Why should I rush right out and purchase one....other than the obvious of seeing Jackie's great paintings in print!!

carly

jackiesimmonds
04-26-2003, 03:25 AM
Oh, I am all covered in confusion and embarrassment! However, I will recover:D

This book came as a bit of a surprise to me as I had no hand in its writing and yet appear in it quite a lot, as Bobbie points out! In fact, it is is a compilation of "problem solver" articles written by the contributing artists for The Artist magazine (UK version) over a period of time, and it contains the work of 10 of us, all professional painters. The problem solver series was really popular - each article tackled a common problem with advice and possible solutions. An example title might have been , for instance: The Longer View - "I always have problems with my foregrounds. Can you offer some help on how to tackle them successfully?" and then the article would do just that. I think the book makes for interesting reading, as it is not the usual "how to paint" book, with all those step by step instruction pictures.

Here is what it says on the fly leaf:

......"this varied collection provides helpful advice and inspired solutions to many of the most frequently asked questions from the (Problem Solver) series. It includes numerous topics, such as how to choose a good subject, how to create a sense of space and depth in a picture, how to use colour effectively or how to pant a convincing sky. All the main painting media - watercolours, oils, pastels and acrylics are covered, and with subjects ranging from landscapes and seascapes to still life, interiors, people and animals, there is something to appeal to every painter.
The wide variety of work by the featured artists adds a further dimension, offering a wonderful collection of paintings to enjoy and providing a rich source of inspiration for practicing artists".

Nice book to be given as a gift.......drop a few hints, perhaps.

My pic, "resting", of the little Indian man leaning against a pile of bricks, is one of my all-time favourites, I have to say. It walked off the wall at the gallery, and I rather regretted it when it did, I should have kept it. Still, it has half a page in the book, so I can still look at it from time to time, and wonder who painted it, cos it certainly wasn't me - I was possessed at the time, I reckon.
:p

Glad you like the book, Bobbie. And thanks for the nice comments, Roni, really sweet of you. It is no effort for me, I enjoy being a WC contributor.

Jackie

Luvy
04-26-2003, 10:42 AM
I just ordered 2 videos of Jackies and I know she's going to insure me that I will become an expert in painting gardens. Right Jackie? LOL Can't wait to get them.

Oh and I did try one of my garden ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You'll never see that one LOL I did like my tree I did though LOL But I think I've learned a few things. Going to try another one today Some you just have to give up on when they just won't take anymore color. Even fixative didn't help. Cause I made lots of mistakes LOL:D

meowmeow
04-26-2003, 10:51 AM
This is funny....the other day I went to Barnes & Nobles and spent a great deal of time (and money)in the art book department. I chose several books on anatomy (well, drawing the human figure) and saw this...of course I had to have it! :D
I also finally decided to get the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain workbook. I have been working with those exercises and been leafing through this Problem Solving book...it looks terrific. It seems to be addressing several of the problem I always have. Plus I enjoyed seeing so many of Jackie's pictures!
Fun to read about it here though!

Sandy

Bobbie
04-26-2003, 05:23 PM
Now that I have become such an "expert" lol at uploading I will upload some more pix from this glorious book later in day or tomorrow.

Redsy333
04-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Well done Bobbie:D lol Im so proud you figured it all out!
And thanks for sharing all that with us as well!:D
Cheers

artamust
04-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Well, I saw this post, popped over to my local public library's website, and reserved this one. The sample photos I saw in the original post were wonderful - can't wait to see the rest.

This is my first time visiting the pastel forum - didn't know what I was missing. I recently found a 30 year old box of Grumbacher soft pastels in some boxes of old art supplies in the basement and thought I might try to incorporate them into an acrylic painting. I saw the technique demonstrated in an acrylic book I read over the weekend and thought I might get some ideas here.

Well, enough babbling - I'll be clicking along now.

artbabe21
04-29-2003, 02:08 AM
Beautiful work Jackie! I am new to this medium and trying to figure it out...:)

Meowmeow, enjoy Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain...the exercises are amazing!

jackiesimmonds
04-29-2003, 03:38 AM
Artamust - pastels are great with mixed media - just be careful when you use them with acrylics that you dont try to put them on top of THICKLY APPLIED acrylics. Acrylics are a plastic material, and pastels need something to adhere to. I always worry that the pastel will not hold properly to a plastic surface, long-term, though when they are framed behind glass, they should be OK.

If you use your acrlics quite thinly, and on a surface with a bit of "tooth", you should be fine.

Artbabe - welcome to the world of the pastellist, it is a wonderful medium, and you will find lots of advice and ideas here. There are also great books on the market offering ideas about techniques and that will take you even further. You've made a good start, I have noticed your posts.

Jackie

www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

artbabe21
04-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
Artbabe - welcome to the world of the pastellist, it is a wonderful medium, and you will find lots of advice and ideas here. There are also great books on the market offering ideas about techniques and that will take you even further. You've made a good start, I have noticed your posts.

Thanks Jackie, your work is so beautiful and well done it makes me feel overwhelmed!! While this book may be good down the road I am interested in the very novice book.

Can you recommend any good ones? I have looked online and unless I can actually SEE what's inside it is too difficult to know which are any good with as many books out there to know which actually contain instructive techniques. I have an oil background so am used to working dark to light.

jackiesimmonds
04-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Well - you can ask some of the others here for confirmation of this, but actually, I think you won't go too far wrong to have a look at MY books for beginners to pastels. I have two -

PASTELS WORKBOOK. This has ten chapters, each one offering a simple project to work on, which practices a particular technique, and particular subject-matter.

PASTELS WORKSHOP. This has been a very popular book, now in its third reprint, so I must have got something right! It has chapters on technique, tone, colour, and composition, and then moves into subjects. There are demos, and projects to tackle, and also it isn't just my work to look at - there are lots of other pastellists' work to look at too.

If you are interested, have a look at my website,(link below) where there are more details . And send me a pm if you want to know prices and postage - take no notice of the price on the website, I give discounts to WC members.

Otherwise........another good book on pastel techniques is THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PASTEL TECHNIQUES by Judy Martin, published by Headline.

Many will recommend Don Creevy's book, THE PASTEL BOOK, which is fascinating, but he does go into some tricky techniques that I do not feel are for beginners.

Why not pop to your local library, and have a browse there?

Jackie

www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

artbabe21
04-29-2003, 01:01 PM
forgive me...I had no idea you had books, now I it's sinking in why your name was ringing a bell...thanks, will look into yours.

our library is the pitts for any selection, especially of anything new...that requires a inter library loan...but Borders, Barnes just opened up so I can go check them out...my thanks!!

BTW, for any of you pastelests that also do oils, I have a brand new oil project that has just begun, check it out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104362