PDA

View Full Version : This was heading for the bin

ripvanblair
04-25-2003, 03:19 PM
I started in watercolour pencils , I found some charcoal pencils I bought some time ago, and never used, --------this got a bit messy----at this point it was going for the filing cabinet(another name for the bin), I remember someone saying run some water over it this was duly done and after it had dried I finished it off with some white guache----the moral of the story--I don't know, what do you think----------Alan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/3667-charcoal.jpg

Sylvielu
04-25-2003, 03:29 PM
I dunno...I would change the lips unless the actual person's lips are that way...has character and personality.

Try it again, practice makes perfect.

M.A.
04-25-2003, 03:58 PM
The moral of the story is that you should be in the portrait exchange...

...and this is a nice save!!!

CharM
04-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Alan, I've tried to look at this latest effort very objectively... It's a little dark... So, I pulled onto my harddrive and played with some crops... Taking the liberty of cropping your painting, I rather like this version...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/20514-3667-charcoal.jpg

What do you think?

artmom
04-25-2003, 04:14 PM
I like it--strong face. Is it a portrait of a particular person? If so, I like the cropped version--if not, perhaps remove a little of the shading between the nose and the mouth.

Now, don't shout at me--is it male or female???? Remember, I'm an old lady and the older I get, the harder it is to tell the difference. ROFLOL

Lyn

Sharon Douglas
04-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Good save, even if you do an awful painting save it to look back on and you will see how much you`ve improved.
REMEMBER you learn more from your mistakes.
you did a good job on this one.
Sharon.

hopefulbucky
04-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Good try on this. Very brave to take on a portrait.

The one thing that bothers me is the left eye as one is looking at the piece. I don't know if the white reflection is too large or what but it also seems blurrier (?) than the right eye.

ripvanblair
04-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Thank you Sylvielu I don't like the lips much myself, but it shows what can be done even when you think something is not working out right

Fun2cook I'll have a look at the portrait exchange , I'll need to get some photos, thanks for looking

Yes I agree CharM it does look better just shows you, thnaks very much for your time and efforts

No it's no particular female at first I thought it was going to turn out like Madonna but no, thanks for looking

You're right Sharon I will learn from this I think it was worthwhile getting your thoughts on the subject, I'm very grateful to you all-------thanks-----------Alan

ripvanblair
04-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks Judy I see what you mean thnaks for your comments, It was just a practise of no great importance, but I certainly learned from this one------------------Alan