PDA

View Full Version : More Prints

humblebee8
04-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm going to post a few of my prints to share with the group and to have in the archives.

My work is block print using linoleum and water based ink. I print on vellum, which is a transparent paper and hand-color the image on the back with acrylic paint.

My work is for the children's book market, so I lots of fun and colorful images to post! Hope you don't get sick of seeing them!

Heather

Greg C.
04-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Wonderful print Heather! I like the technique of hand painting on the back of vellum...had never heard of that before. The choice of using block printing for children's book really works well and the hand coloring gives it a great deal of life...Excellent composition as well.

Please post more...printmakers seem to be rare and your prints are fantastic examples of the medium! :)

sassybird
04-25-2003, 07:17 PM
I think this is a great idea. I've never tried it myself, but you have shared some great information. These prints are going to be great for a childrens book.

humblebee8
04-26-2003, 12:18 AM
You guys are going to give me a big head! Thank you for all the encouraging comments.
Heather

msue
05-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. Looks like we have more print makers out here than have been heard from. I too enjoy lino-prints and regret I haven't done more. I seem to average one or two new blocks a year. Love the vellum idea too. I may have to give that one a try soon. I bought some vellum with no real purpose in mind. Have you tried on colored vellum? Getting ideas as I type.

msue
05-04-2003, 09:42 PM
I can't post the results yet (ink is still drying-Daniel Smith Relief Ink), but I couldn't wait to try a form of your technique printing on vellum. I printed on a warm golden tone vellum and carefully (because ink still isn't completely dry) colored it on the back side using Design markers. I love the result. Can't wait to do more experimenting. Thanks again for sharing this idea.

humblebee8
05-05-2003, 12:47 AM
Yes, I have a little stock of colored vellum too, but haven't used it yet. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
I've been working on my next set of images that I'll post later this week too. I have a portfolio display at a book conference in 2 weeks, so I'm busy carving out my blocks everyday!

Heather

msue
05-06-2003, 01:21 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2003/259-block.jpg

Here is one of the prints I did using your technique. The vellum is a warm gold tone, but I think the light from the scanner washed it out. Like I said I used Design markers to put color on the back. I love this technique.

Dave's in Florida
05-25-2003, 06:49 PM
MSUE: That blue flower is so very cool -- show more.

You guys have pumped me up so much on print making, I'm going to go back into the garage, move the lawnmower I'm fixing, and get those lino printing things out.

Some time ago, I tried etching linoleum with a very strong alkali instead of carving. It was a miserable failure, but I'm still on the hunt for other ways to get our linoleum blocks carved into something to print.

msue
05-26-2003, 12:05 AM
Thank you, Dave. I'm always glad to hear someone is excited about lino printing. I don't do nearly enough.

maverick
06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
I can't wait to see more of these. Thanks for sharing your technique. I think I will be getting into printmaking and this will be one of the first things I try. I might use a wood block instead of linoleum. I have a shop full of wood scraps.

amanda
06-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Wow, what an interesting technique, thanks for showing us your work, I like it.