PDA

View Full Version : smooth collie

kasey1
03-05-2012, 12:19 AM
finished this last week, a smooth collie in acrylic on masonite. 12"x12".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2012/192127-small_-_rob.jpg

aRt4us
03-05-2012, 03:40 AM
I really like the pose, stare and colouring here.
Those eye follow you.
Painting fun
Gary

Greg Long
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Very striking Karen.

kasey1
03-05-2012, 10:54 AM
thanks, gary and greg. appreciate your time to comment. the dog's name is Rob and he was one of the infamous "montana collies" from 10/31/02 -- story i can relate if anyone is interested.

Greg Long
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Please tell!

kasey1
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
about midnight on 10/31/02 a tractor/semi rig was stopped at the canadian/montana border, one of the officers asked that the trailer be opened, it took quite some time before anyone could go in due to the strong amonia odor. there were just under 200 dogs in the trailer in crates, many were two in a crate that was large enough for just one, a couple were dead, most all were severely emaciated, many heath problem, crates were stacked and were overflowing with urine and feces. internationally known breeder was moving from the anchorage area to arizona. they had been on the road for 9 days at this point. dogs were confiscated, first trial ended up a mis-trial, due to the strong financial support of dog lovers and the collie club a second trial was held and owners were found guilty.

june 7 2003
After seven long months, Camp Collie soon will be history. Convicted collie abusers Jon and Athena Harman of Alaska agreed Friday to relinquish almost all of their 191 animals and waive their right to appeal, a process that could have dragged out the case up to 15 more months.

at that point the dogs and cats were adopted out, many long sad stories as many did not live long due to health problems from those 9 days in the trailer, there used to be a lot of photos online but at this point i cannot find them.

Rob was about 18 months when we adopted him, we lost him last year to kidney problems.

not being involved in the situation and reading the daily reports for 9 months many of you might not understand that i danced a little jig when athena died alone in mexico a year later.

Greg Long
03-05-2012, 11:27 AM
A sad story Karen, but Rob had many happy years with you.

kasey1
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
it was amazing how stable his temperament was considering what he went through, many others were not so lucky. to the day he was put down he got car sick even at trips of less than 1 mile......little wonder. he was such a gentleman.

bluemoonstar
03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Beautiful portrait of your handsome Rob. Far too many sad stories like this, but I'm happy that Rob & many of the others found good homes.:heart:

kasey1
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/dog-forums/showthread.php?t=15253

has a good bit of history on the trials and dogs including the settlement after the 2nd trial.

the first group of thumbnails (which don't enlarge well) were from 'camp collie', the 2nd group of thumbnails (gruesome) are from another cruelty case and i believe this was in washington state as i remember it. there was one in ohio also (all collies.)

chammi kaiser
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Karen. You have done a great job on your Collie. Love that intense look. What an horrific story. Cruelty to animals is so scary. Wonderful that Rob had so many happy years with you.

kasey1
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM
thanks pat and chammi. we were fortunate to have him in our lives.

Lexycat
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Truly awful story, but as others have said not uncommon unfortunately. Its a lovely painting, the black background makes it quite dramatic looking, Im so glad Rob found love and happiness - isn't it amazing how forgiving animals can be to humans despite the horrific things we do to them:(

Barb'sArt
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I was sick to my stomach reading that horrific story. My heart just bleeds indescribably for all the animals that are in these types of situations.:(

Thank God, for the tireless rescuers and the adopters of all of those beautiful creatures!
You have done a wonderful job on Rob's portrait! It is so filled with love.
I'm certain you must miss him so much. He was so very lucky to have found happiness, love and safety in your care.:thumbsup:

artist144
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I agree with Barb ^^^.