PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me, but I have to paint you

Zinzin
04-25-2003, 12:39 AM
Greetings!

I have found (perhaps due to inexperience) I have very little control in the choosing of subjects I paint....

Explanation:

I have been unable to do commission work, especially from a photograph... but I will do several portraits (Unrequested) of someone I don't really know..... and who usually couldn't spend the extra money to buy the painting anyhow.

I find myself drawn to one person or another and end up snapping a million photos till the person relaxes enough to show me that "look" again.

I end up stuck until I paint that person, sometimes twice.

Often I stare longingly at some person I dare not approach (Shy, shy, shy) and wish I could share (steal?) that look, expression or even pain. Is it ok to take reference photos of someone on the street without asking first? (They so often lose what I wanted to capture by immedietly posing) Do I have to pay a model fee or get a release if I never will sell the actual photograph?

How do I learn more control of subject? I have been asked to do commission work and I haven't accepted any out of fear that I may not be able to find that same moment. How do I tame the fear?

Thank you for your help
Be well

ValorieCox
04-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Zinzin

Often I stare longingly at some person I dare not approach (Shy, shy, shy) and wish I could share (steal?) that look, expression or even pain. Is it ok to take reference photos of someone on the street without asking first?

When taking those candid 'people shots' (for personal art use), I find the old saying, "Forgiveness is easier than permission" applies. I shoot away, ask later. The pose is never the same after asking for it. After thousands of those photos, I only recall one person upset. Today with a digital camera, I would have just erased it. Good luck!

Val