PDA

View Full Version : Put the kettle on...

seejay
04-25-2003, 12:25 AM
Copper kettle.

Water colour paper, sepia pigmented ink, dip pen and brush.

~ 38 x 28 cm.

I think this may need a little bit of darkening in places...I'll look at it some more and decide...

Cheers

Doh, forgot the pic...here it is...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/6409-kettle2.jpg

drwells
04-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Howdie Chris! :D This is sweet!! I looks like a copper kettle...I mean that totally as a complement...there is something up with the back (right) handle upright..I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to be curving at the viewer...gawd does that makes sense...someone will put it in english, I'm sure.

Good night!

Danny

seejay
04-25-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by drwells
Howdie Chris! :D This is sweet!! I looks like a copper kettle...I mean that totally as a complement...there is something up with the back (right) handle upright..I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to be curving at the viewer...gawd does that makes sense...someone will put it in english, I'm sure.

Good night!

Danny

Thanks Danny. It's obvious now you point it out.

Some of the problem is I made the back bit longer than the front bit, but I can't fix that! A bit more modelling will help it, hopefully.;)

Cheers

artdude
04-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Great job on the ink wash Chris!! :clap: Nice highlights in the kettle :) If you do another one, maybe include a tea cup? Would make a great composition!! When you use a brush for your inks, do you wet your paper first or just do everything on dry?

PS: I see you changed your tinyhead and put up a photo of yourself. It's nice to be able to put a face to a name :D:)

MonicaB
04-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Hi Chris,

This is lovely. I just adore your sepia ink work. There's something so soothing about sepia. I'm slowly working myself up to trying some washes. . .

P.S. Nice to meet you! Maybe one day I'll find one of me. . . .

Jakeally
04-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Wow Chris.... this is wonderful. It looks so three dimentional and that handle is fabulous.

Love your new tinyhead....its good to meet your face at last:D

mel-ink
04-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Hey Chris! What a GREAT kettle!! The sepia ink really makes it look copper-y. Did you start with a sketch, or just start directly on the paper? Either way, it's fabulous! BTW-like your new tinyhead! I recognize you from your self-portrait!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

els
04-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Chris, this is great!!! Excellent indeed!

cnfwriter
04-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Oh... I really like this Chris. Such movement and vibrancy! Well done!!! :clap: :clap:

jjsangel
04-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Great job Chris. You really captured the copper look with the sepia ink. I'm also glad to see your face. HI..:D

dolors
04-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Chris it's fantastic. I like it very much. I have a copper kettle like this too.

DragonladyfromOz
04-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Looks great Chris - has a really nice 'used' feel to it! I see you are having a bit of fun with the ink and brush :D
Cheers
Manda

PS - Like the mug-shot!;)

seejay
04-26-2003, 12:13 AM
Thanks everyone, glad the tinyhead didn't scare anyone. I had a lot of trouble finding a picture of me, and then I kept forgetting to put it up here. My wife reminded me to do it...;) (I'd be lost without her!)

To the picture:

Thanks to everyone for commenting.

Murray:
When you use a brush for your inks, do you wet your paper first or just do everything on dry?

I usually wet the paper first, it helps with the blending, and also I have some chance of lifting out some of the ink before it dries if I want to....I also use my fingers sometimes to help spread out the ink.

Thanks for inspiration for another picture!

Mel:
Did you start with a sketch, or just start directly on the paper?

I did a pencil sketch first for this one....

dolors:
I have a copper kettle like this too.

Maybe you'd like to draw your one!;)

Mike:
Such movement and vibrancy!

A kettle probably shouldn't have those qualities, but I like things a bit messy and lively!

Manda:
I see you are having a bit of fun with the ink and brush

It's got to be fun, or I wouldn't be doing it! Not much of a subject for Anzac Day....;)

Thanks everyone else as well....:)

Cheers

sassybird
04-26-2003, 01:38 AM
Hey! Now I know where my kettle went :D This is lovely, and I really do have a kettle just like that.

Phillip
04-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Love the kettle Chris.

I now know which one you are at the drawings on thursday night.

I thought it was you.

The tinyhead has given it away. LOL

seejay
04-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Thanks Sassy! I stopped using mine years ago, but I'm glad I never threw it out...junk comes in handy for still lifes. ;)

Thank you too Phillip, see at life drawing...Welcome to Pen & Ink, by the way...hope to see some of your ink sometime, don't forget to post it!

Cheers