PDA

View Full Version : WIP ~ "True Love"

IrishIsle
04-25-2003, 12:08 AM
WEll, here it goes....my first artwork posted on wetcanvas! I have been a member for some time now, but kind of got off of posting until my friend Ciarrai became a member and helped me rediscover you all :) Ciarrai has been doing some really wonderful work lately and I am so glad that she discovered that she is an artist too, cause now I can talk about it for hours with a fellow buddy!!
Anyway, this is my first artwork posted here. This is a work in progress. It is a rather unusual perspective, looking down on a vase of roses. The vase is going to be crystal, with a long shadow going off to the right. You cannot see the end of the crystal vase or the shadow because I haven't painted them in yet...going to make more sense when I do ;)
If anybody knows of a better place to post this, please direct me :) I know this is where Ciarrai usually posts! sure hope the pic loads.. I'm going to auction this under self representing artists on eBay within the next week.

"True Love" ( I decided to call it True Love because the roses show the varying heights love can reach )

22" x 30"
140 lb. watercolor paper
watercolor
all comments welcome - especially from *Ciarrai! :) I can take hard critiques!

Imaginee
04-25-2003, 02:47 AM
Hi Elizabeth and a big welcome! This painting is beautiful so far; you're a very talented artist!! :clap: :clap: I can't wait to this one finished, from what you are describing it's going to be very unique!:) I know there's a watercolor forum here, you may be moved there, but Iím not sure. I hope not cause I want to see this progress. :)

~Linda

l_wheat
04-25-2003, 05:24 AM
Wow the roses look very nice, cant wait to see the finished piece.

calvo
04-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Already a lovely piece, and I'm sure the finished version will be a real knockout. Roses have always eluded me, but you obviously have no trouble at all with them.

Calvo

Dahzl
04-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Oh this looks really beautiful!! - and I am definately looking forward to the finished piece too!:D So I hope it stays here in this forum as well!:D Maybe we can share it :D

Well Done!!

Cheers Dahzl.:)

IrishIsle
04-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Wow, thank you everybody! I am working hard on it every day now...roses have always been my favorite! If 'they' (whoever they are lol) decide to redirect this thread to watercolors, I'll be sure to give you the link :D

jjsangel
04-25-2003, 12:43 PM
This is beautiful. A neat concept view. Wonderful job on the roses, can't wait to see the finished piece...Oh and Welcome to WC...:D

artmom
04-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Welcome to the watercolor forum! Beautiful roses--I still can't get one right LOL

Looking forward to watching your WIP.

Lyn

babybrush
04-25-2003, 02:13 PM
well, apparently "they" decided to direct you here, and WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

this is very wonderful. new perspective on a classic subject. loving it. this (the watercolor) forum is very fast paced, but i hope you will feel as welcome here as over in drawing (or wherever this was before) can't wait to see more

Bethany

CharM
04-25-2003, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the watercolour forum!!! Your roses are very crisp and beautiful! I'm so glad "they" redirected you here...

Waiting for the next step in this painting!!!!!!!!!!!

ripvanblair
04-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Very nice sharp image, looking very good--------well done--------Alan

els
04-25-2003, 03:12 PM
WOW, this is looking great already...

mhimeswc
04-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Your roses are lovely. I love to paint roses and to look at paintings of roses, don't you? I can't wait to see it with the rest of the composition in place.

Michelle

M.A.
04-25-2003, 03:46 PM
This is so lovely and your title and reason for titling it give me goosebumps. Nice. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here.:clap:

artijan
04-25-2003, 05:39 PM
A hearty welcome to the watercolour forum and I hope you'll be posting more of your work here.

The roses are just lovely, such a challenge for me. I also like the view looking down. Looking forward to next update.

Jan :clap:

Uschi
04-25-2003, 08:59 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the bowl!!!!!!
Uschi

M.A.
04-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Really eager to see more. And I can't think of a more appropriate title for a WIP...

lyn lynch
04-25-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi, Elizabeth. Welcome to Watercolor, of course you posted in the right place--you are doing a work in Watercolor medium.

And, what a beautiful work it is. I love that you name your piece as you begin the work; I do that, too, as I find it helps me stay with the intent.

Oh, I see you had placed this elsewhere and it was moved to watercolor; don't worry, Elizabeth, we don't bite. You will like us so just stay here.

The only rose I can paint is folk art, so I am enjoyed this. Please provide a close-up of a blossom or two, in addition to continuation of the full sheet. We are noisy and want to see everything.

IrishIsle
04-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey everybody!!!!
Gosh you are saying so many nice things I'm as pink as my roses lol. Thanks for the warm welcomes!!!I am going to work and hopefully, hopefully finish it tomorrow! I"ll definitely post it when I am through and maybe even as I work. (close ups too!) Painting the crystal will be a challenge..I'm feeling a little intimidated as I want to capture the sparkle well. I haven't painted any of it today..working on some of my other paintings and I'm also studying figure drawing!!! I get excited just thinking about that!! lol.
But yeah, I work best when I have one objective in mind as to what I am painting..hence the title before its finished. The painting has a stronger message when I do that..at least I find it expresses something more strongly, in this case "lovveee!" lol. :D
Will post more soon!

Rosemarie
04-26-2003, 08:22 AM
OH, can't wait until it is finished! I love the way you painted the flowers and also the different composition of the bouquett

kare
04-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Eilžs,

your paintings always take my breath away.. how long has this piece taken you so far? it really looks lovely! friend i really would love to see you do a bit of a workshop next year.. i'm just amazed at how grand this is!! possibly your best watercolor yet ;)

please keep going and keep posting updates here on wc! i am truely grateful to have you as my closest friend and you are a very talented artist at that :D Congratulations on posting your first watercolor friend!

ttyl :)
Ciarrai xx.

Strawberry Wine
04-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Welcome Elizabeth: I am so glad that you were re-directed to the watercolour forum. Your roses are beautiful and I really like the perspective.

Good for you, using the uploader from the thread page. :clap: :clap: It is so nice when I/We can take a second, third, look while commenting.

I am looking forward to the next post with the crystal vase/bowl.

This is terrific already!!

Gail

Little Old Lady
04-26-2003, 08:14 PM
Welcome to the watercolor forum. You sure started off with a lovely painting. Anxiously waiting for the finish.
I am nosey. Your are listed as from Missouri and your best friend from Australia??
JoAnn

kare
04-27-2003, 06:42 PM
JoAnn;
yes, i live in Australia and Eilis lives in Missouri :)
we have been best friends 4 years this august :)
i am so very glad to know her- she is a dear friend!
we began writing to one another as penpals :D so you see, we are very close after 4 years of writing, calling and emailing.

eilis truley is the greatest friend i have. she's wonderful! and a very talented person at that! :D

ciarrai.

Little Old Lady
04-27-2003, 07:49 PM
thanks for the info. Long distant friendships can be rewarding as are the many friendships that we have developed here on Wet Canvas.
JoAnn

kare
04-28-2003, 10:10 PM
eilis;
have you done anymore work on this piece friend?

IrishIsle
04-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Golly guys, I must apologize for not posting sooner! I tried yesterday, but my computer kept glitching on me so I couldn't make it.
So I didn't get to finish this painting over the weekend, but I did add a shadow and most of the vase.

I think the shadow needs to go darker in areas, and the vase is too heavy right now. What do you all think?? :confused:
Gosh I hope this lets me post this time!
I am going to be working on this and posting as I go...so keep looking :)

This isn't the only painting project I'm working on right now..I like working on alot of things at once because if I come at a stopping point on one picture, I won't stop painting altogether: I just go on to the next painting. It helps me not to become to obsessed with a particular painting. It also keeps me from putting my whole artist life on hold.
;)

IrishIsle
04-29-2003, 05:03 PM
and here is a detail:

IrishIsle
04-29-2003, 05:06 PM
And another....

IrishIsle
04-29-2003, 05:09 PM
another...

IrishIsle
04-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Ok, and now here is the vase. I'm not too happy with it, but the best thing I can do is learn and move on!

To complete this picture, I need to put put finishing touches on the roses, darken the shadow, do SOMETHING about that vase lol, and add a background. It sounds like alot *sigh* but I have already gotten the bulk of it taken care of I think.

So I leave you all now til' my next post! Happy painting!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Oh and everybody don't forget to check mah ebay auctions up fo sale ;)
Heah is da link:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=elizabethkern&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25
I shoah do have alots up and alot moah a comin' up! :D

IrishIsle
04-29-2003, 05:16 PM
oooooo woops, forgot the vase lol.
see ya all later now!

karenboss
04-29-2003, 05:28 PM
I think the vase is coming along marvoulsly!! Yo will have a lovely painting for all your effort - very nice!

kare
04-29-2003, 06:34 PM
i just don't understand how you do it :( ??
this is beautiful eilis, just beautiful!!

love ciarrai

ripvanblair
04-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Outstanding piece of work--------well done-------Alan

IrishIsle
05-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks everybody :) I'll keep ya all updated as I go along...right now I've been working on some other paintings (just posted 5 more up on eBay today..) and this is one I turn to when I want to relax.
Ciarrai...it's just practice. Thats really all it is.
I saw your latest portrait...its outstanding!!!

kare
05-12-2003, 11:08 PM
are you still working on this piece eilis? please keep us updated.. i can't help but marvel at your work!!

ciarrai

CharM
05-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Somehow I missed all the steps in between your first and last posts! This is marvelous!