PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Dottie's House

Merlot
04-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Well folks, this is the second building I've ever painted. A friend asked me to paint her house. It is on 9 x 12 Arches block with Windsor Newton paints. At first I thought it would be boring because the house is sort of plain. But now that I'm doing it I'm having fun making the browns look interesting etc.

I need some advice on how to do the magnolia tree without masking. Do you think its possible? I taped the roof off and used a sponge to get some texture indicative of the shingles. That was fun. It has taken me 2 and 1/2 hours to get this far. Seems like a long time!!!!

Any hints or tricks appreciated. Thanks, Joanne

I'm putting in the reference photo and then the painting.

Ref. Photo
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/17247-Dotties_Ref_Photo.JPG

Here's the painting - resized version not so hot
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/17247-Dottieshouse1.jpg

al22
04-25-2003, 12:47 AM
House coming along very well............. are you going to try to put in some whites for the Magnolia tree? Is that the question?
......al

Phillip
04-25-2003, 02:17 AM
WOW great work.

I have been asked to paint a friends house as well. I hope I can do it as good as this.

eelfish1
04-25-2003, 03:35 AM
I had to look because my name is Dotti lol

Whatever you did for the bush in front, should work for the tree...

I have a terrible time with masking fluid myself, the edges are so "hard" but maybe you have better luck with it.

Nice so far, sorry not much help, do what your gut says!
Dot

l_wheat
04-25-2003, 03:38 AM
Looks awesome so far, cant wait to see the finished piece.

Yorky
04-25-2003, 05:18 AM
Wow! This is coming along great.

Gather the magnolia is on the right edge? If you don't want to use masking fluid, why not paint in the blooms with a pale pink shade then negative paint the foliage - it won't matter if you cover a few blooms.

Doug

M.A.
04-25-2003, 06:04 AM
Looking good. Looking really good!!!

els
04-25-2003, 07:54 AM
Looking very good.

Uschi
04-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Lovely!!!!
Uschi

Merlot
04-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Al22,Philip,Dot,I Wheat, Yorky,Fun2cook, els, Thanks for the encouragement! I get to a point and then I'm afraid I'll ruin something.

Yorky, Thanks for the suggestion about the Magnolia. I may just try that since I know if I just go dabbling green in there the whites will probably get lost.

another question???? There is a mailbox at the bottom of the road and I was thinking of putting that in larger in "Your" bottom left to make the composition more interesting and to give perspective. The box is attached to a telephone pole which I plan to leave out. I'll just make a stump or something to attach the mailbox to. I am also leaving out the other telephone pole in the ref picture.:D

Any pricing recommendations. I figure this to be a 4-6 hour project by the time I finish. Framing will probably be about $20 doing it myself.:evil: Do you think $100 a good price? If she weren't my friend I think I would charge $125 - 150 based on the time it will take me to complete. Will frame to 12 x 16 or 14 x 18.

Thanks for your input! Joanne

Merlot
04-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Uschi, Thanks - must have cross posted! :D

CharM
04-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Yorky
Wow! This is coming along great.

Gather the magnolia is on the right edge? If you don't want to use masking fluid, why not paint in the blooms with a pale pink shade then negative paint the foliage - it won't matter if you cover a few blooms.

Doug

That tree is distant enough that you can keep the flowers quite soft...

Personally, I have not had very good luck with masking... It really is too harsh... There are times when it is a necessary evil, I think...

Little Old Lady
04-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Nice start. Waiting for the finish.
JoAnn (without and "e")

Margie L
04-25-2003, 08:46 AM
You have done a nice job with your friends house. Nice variations in the browns and a nice soft sky.
Have you thought about dabbing the masking on the tree with a fine sea sponge? That would give you varied shapes that could be soft in the edges too.

Merlot
04-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Char, JoAnn, Mima,
Thanks for peeking. Mima, I like your sea sponge idea. Perhaps I'll test it on a scrap paper. I have never used masking fluid before (been painting over 2 years now). The sponge sounds good as did Yorky's idea of painting the flowers in a light pink. Hmmmn- I'll have to run some tests. LOL:D

Merlot
04-25-2003, 11:19 AM
Help - I tried to update my tiny head and lost it.LOL Lost my head:D I followed instructions. What did I do wrong????

Merlot
04-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Ok-- I get the BIG STUPID AWARD! I DIDN'T REALIZE MY TINY HEAD IMAGE DIDN'T SAVE CORRECTLY IN MY COMPUTER SO THAT I WAS UPLOADING A BLANK! DUUHHHHH:rolleyes: :D

BUT NOW ALL IS WELL WITH THE WORLD AND I CAN GO TO BED KNOWING THAT I REALLY HAVEN'T LOST MY HEAD! LOL

Merlot
05-21-2003, 08:50 PM
Hi Folks, I've been really busy for awhile so I haven't had a chance to post recently or even to get on and check out the site. Things have calmed down a bit so I thought I should at least post my completed?? picture. Comments and critiques welcome. As usual the scan does nothing for the image :rolleyes: but here goes anyway! :D In previewing the post I noticed that the garage door looks funny in the post but in person it looks fine. There was a glare on the window and then I just made the shading on the door vary.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/17247-Dottieshouse2.jpg

Phillip
05-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi Merlot.

I think you have a great painting here.

I love how you done the trees, they look great.

You have very good depth in your painting.

Love the sky as well. those soft clouds are beautiful.

pampe
05-21-2003, 09:38 PM
great finish!

Yorky
05-22-2003, 03:53 AM
A fine picture - you really did well with the house, the trees and the sky - excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think the focus is on the house, and that's good, but I would have expected a little texture in the foreground grass and drive.

Perhaps overlay with a light covering of fine spattering after masking off the areas you don't want to cover. Practice on some scrap to get the right texture.

Doug

ripvanblair
05-22-2003, 04:01 AM
The word that springs to mind is charming, I think you've captured a beautiful place------well done----------Alan

Merlot
05-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Phillip, Pampe, Yorky and Alan,

Thanks for looking and the complements.

Yorky, I was debating about adding texture to the lawn and drive but then I didn't want to take away from the house. Perhaps just a little would be good.

Perhaps the rest of the wetcanvasers can give an opinion--- more texture to the lawn and drive or not????

babybrush
05-22-2003, 10:15 AM
is ay just a little around the edges of the drive to separate. not a row of grass stems, mind you, but little tufts intermitantly.

hope i didn't just make it worse.:D

Bethany

Merlot
05-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi Bethany, Thanks for looking and commenting! I haven't done anything yet. I'm going to cut the mat and see how it looks then decide on what more to do. Meanwhile I have company for the weekend so not much will be getting done! (except cleaning:mad: ) However, I am looking forward to my visitors!