PDA

View Full Version : Beach Bliss... another plein air

ArtWench
04-24-2003, 11:22 PM
Well, I'm almost finished with this one which I also started a month ago while down in FL! This was tough because the two children in the painting just wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get the details... How rude! LOL!

There are several areas which I am not happy with; however, I want to see if others notice them before I start moaning & groaning over 'em! As always, I would appreciate any feedback, comments, suggestions, advice, chocolate... Just checkin' to see if you're paying attention! LOL! No really... chocolate would be good!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/8980-Beach_.JPG

artmom
04-24-2003, 11:35 PM
My first reaction--it makes me smile! IMO, the shadows need to be darker, with so much light in the painting.

Nice, bright painting!

Lyn

ArtWench
04-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Thanks Lyn! I was definitely having trouble with shadows (again!). Yep, another one of those blisteringly brilliant days where the light reflects off of everything!

Do you have some specific areas in mind?

Christie
04-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Makes me smile as well. I agree about the shadows, but otherwise, it is, as my son says,"memory recalling".

ArtWench
04-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks Christie! :D

artmom
04-24-2003, 11:46 PM
If I'm reading it right, the light source is coming from our left. Darken the girl's shadows, and the big red sand pail's. And, if that's a pile of sand in front of the big girl, it should have a shadow, too.

Also, the lighter colored sand needs something to "flatten" it, so it lies down in the painting--maybe a little contouring?

Hope this helps--it really is a good painting!:)

Lyn

al22
04-24-2003, 11:53 PM
Cute 'rugrats'...............like the way you handled the water.......
..........al

Phillip
04-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Makes me feel like going to the beach.

Great job on the painting.

I agree with the shadows needing to be darker.

M.A.
04-25-2003, 06:14 AM
I really like this. I think you should sacrifice a the left side of this painting (meaning the nicely rendered plant on the lower left) to make this a stronger piece overall. The girl digging in the is smack dab in the middle, this would move her over a little so that she is working into the painting.

I really like the plant on the left, maybe it could be a stand alone painting too, tall and narrow.

Just a thought.

Overall, very nicely rendered, has the feeling of being there and the colours are terrific. As everyone else has stated, a little deeper shadow work would enhance it too.

:)

CharM
04-25-2003, 07:48 AM
I love this... The waves rolling in are really well done and your sand is soo good. The bigger girl's arm.... the one in the sand pile... For some reason it's bothering me a little... could you soften that line just above the sand a little? Baby looks like she's just toddling... So well done...:)

Nitsa
04-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Oh I luvvit!!!!!! It's so sweet....I can see the older girl is almost burning, needs suncream fast!!!! I want to grab the toddler away from the water. I can feel the sand and smell the salt air........It's brilliant, just as it is, it's lovely!

karenjh
04-25-2003, 10:19 AM
Lovely painting - the kids are great. You've already received some good advice on the shadows and sand. Let's see it when you're done!

vestalqueen
04-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Angela, this is a lovely painting - the water is particularly well rendered. You've nailed the colors here. A wee bit more hard shadows on the children and sand and you've got it!

Makes me wish I were there....

Erin:)