Title: "Island Mariner"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 8x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Greetings all...
Took a week-or-so break from painting..(and it shows,LOL!)
I've been wanting to paint nautical scenes for awhile in oils;...this is my first attempt.OY:)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All comments welcome

woodguy
04-24-2003, 04:42 PM
This is really VERY good, Scott! The texture is so inviting and the color sings. Jim

jimb
04-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Well, I for one like it a lot. In particular I like the water in the foreground. The lighter blues playing off the dark. Gives the water a real feeling of deepness.
One nit, and that is I would put some more white froth running down the side of the boat (not a lot). With all of that spray in the bow area, I think there would be just a touch more down the sides.
Wonderful work though. Again, I really like it.

jimb
04-24-2003, 04:47 PM
As far as my previous comments, that's probably more the sailor in me talking, than the painter. :)

Fagan
04-24-2003, 05:05 PM
WOW! now this is different! the pink in the sky/clouds and the green/blue waters is fantastic!

Wes Hyde
04-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Awesome, Scott! You're going to do well with these. I agree with Jim; go forth and paint froth. ;)

I also wanted to comment on the great sea quality of the sky. It may be a secondary feature of the painting, but it makes all the difference.

Wes

coulter
04-24-2003, 05:21 PM
Wow! The impact of this is just incredible! Edges, colors, values...all is in harmony!

Beautiful Scott! Awesome indeed!

Mark

mattlart
04-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Gracias Mucho,...fellow sailors...........

I enjoyed your comments,..Jimb;..and I understand. For me,..it's usually not the sailor in me talking;..more often than not,...it's the beer and schnapps;) Thank you for the advice..-Scott

And thank YOU for the encouragement Wes;..I sallied forth and frothed anew! (Usually i save my frothing for when my girlfriend is around,..(or would that be drooling?) Hell, I dunno,..but it looks better. Cheers,-Scott

Thank you Jim! You need to see it in person,..as the color is MUCH more intense. So,..I'll see you soon. I've GOT TO see your recent work "in person" as well. Best Wishes,-Scott

Hi Mark...
:evil: :D I'm glad that you like this, as....it was an experiment,..and my first foray into being an artist again!;) Cheers,-S

Thanks Fagan! It IS different from my typical figures. MUCH more color. I'm going to do a bunch of these...:D Best Wishes,-Scott

andyvry
04-24-2003, 05:59 PM
This is what I'd call 'a very workmanlike painting' - it shows a vessel putting to sea, with a purpose.........not out for a little jaunt. The 'distressing' on the bow is very apt and the reflection as well as the treatment of the sea, brings the picture to life.

Everything works together quite harmoniously. A really good picture.

andy

artbabe21
04-24-2003, 09:07 PM
almost had an APB out on you...thought you fell off the earth...:)

This is pure magic.....love that clear deep water and that boat is alotta detail for YOU...:D look forward to more!

jerryW
04-24-2003, 11:34 PM
that's one horny happy laughing boat.
and I love it!

artbabe21
04-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by jerryW
that's one horny happy laughing boat.

Jerry...LOL:clap: :clap: :clap:

artinoils
04-25-2003, 02:45 AM
A jewel toned gem. The light on the forward end of that boat is awesome.

soap
04-25-2003, 03:49 AM
Great, great boat! The water is wet, deep and the colours are delicious

s-augustson
04-25-2003, 06:25 AM
love the colors, texture and mood of this.

rebus
04-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Hi, overall I like the picture. Only just started in oils myself so have something to aim for: the colours are great, the impasto technique is well executed and I especially like the subtlety of the trees in the background. Only one issue with the picture and that is how close the boat is to the top - is this due to the scanned image? - But otherwise, well done. Worthy of praise. You must be pleased.

Helen Zapata
04-25-2003, 09:26 AM
Dang Scott.. is there ANYTHING you can't paint?

This is WONDERFUL!

I love the boat. Absolutely love it. Once again, it's something I would never get tired of looking at. The colors are rich and luscious, the brushstrokes exciting and spontaneous. It's full of life and breath. I can hear the creaking of the wood, and smell the salt in the air.

I love the deep prussion in the water. You've captured the depth of the water. I've seen few other artists who capture that with the same flair.

I hope you do more!

Helen

mattlart
04-25-2003, 10:31 AM
It IS one horny, happy,....laughing boat:D !!!
Thank you Andy for visiting;.."new" boats usually just aren't as interesting.They haven't been around long enough to develop character.....:)Cheers

Not off the earth, Cath,..just in Taos:)(although comparisons could be made):cool:
Thanks to Jerry, Susan, Soap,and S-Augustson.

Rebus,..; the boat is placed high on the horizon intentionally;I find that placing the focal point high(or low) is just more.....interesting.Where are you from in the UK mate?

Hi Helen....I've missed talking with you! I WILL definitely paint more "nautical stuff";) What have YOU been up to?
Best Wishes All.......-Scott

YLCIA
04-25-2003, 11:23 AM
The texture and colors are awesome!
I like it very much! (hmmmmm , I do not remember a thing you painted I did not like:) )

Julia

Helen Zapata
04-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by mattlart

Hi Helen....I've missed talking with you! I WILL definitely paint more "nautical stuff";) What have YOU been up to?

smiling backatcha Scott!

Unfortunately I haven't been painting since last Friday. And that whole week was a painting disaster. I thought I'd try "making something up" using my "skill" (ha) at doing landscapes. Yipes, what a mess! I let it sit last weekend, and finally got new ideas for it, but have been so busy all week, I haven't been able to go near it. :(

We're leaving for Laguna Beach, Calif. on Monday for a week. So everything has been about getting work caught up, and getting ready for the trip. So I don't know when I'll get to paint again. It's like having this NEED that you can't get satisfied. That need to paint!

So happy to see something new from you. I've been watching for you to post!

hugs,
Helen

mattlart
04-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Julia.......:p

I know that feeling, Helen.I've recently gone through that.."I need/want to paint thing;...but I can't find the time-discipline-inspiration"!
It'll come back.Seems like a change-of-scenery(your trip to Laguna) works wonders.
You'll be doing some of your best work soon:D Have a great trip,;relax, and enjoy yourself. Best Wishes,-Scott

somerset
04-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Like YLCIA, I've not seen anything of yours which has not produced an audible gasp. Seems there is nothing you cant paint.

mattlart
04-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Audible gasp........

Thank you, Somerset;.Basically,..I just keep pluuging away at them. Kind Words. Gracias,-Scott

Wayne Gaudon
04-26-2003, 09:46 PM
I like this .. it's interesting .. the bow looks like someone is trying to climb back in or hanging on for dear life .. what is in that Tim Horton's coffee anyway?