PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic on Claybord?

Violetta
03-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Has anyone tried using acrylic on Ampersand Claybord? I tried doing this and ran into trouble. Every brush stroke showed no matter how thin or thick the paint or what size brush I used. I also tried using matte medium and that didn't help either. I've given up and will try my painting on artist bord, but I'm not sure what to do with the claybord. I'm thinking of putting a layer or two of gesso on it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

idylbrush
03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Clayboard can be a bit tricky. It is a bit difficult to get a flat finish with little or no brush marks. It works great for a watercolor effect, palette knife work and airbrush. Hang in there with it. Sure can be fun.

Violetta
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Thank you Howard for your response. I have removed the failed painting using rubbing alcohol and now have bare claybord again. I have begun the painting on some museum panel I have with much more success. I'm not sure what I'll do with the claybord. As an acrylic newbie, I don't plan to use it soon but the right project may present itself.

bluemoonstar
03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure what to do with clayboard either. It says its good for pastels, but I tried soft pastel & couldn't do a thing with it. Looked terrible, wiped it all off. Guess I'll learn from your experience and not use it for acrylics either!

Patrick45
03-21-2012, 11:10 AM
I tried using watercolor on clayboard, since that is what it was supposed to be for, and it didn't work. Then I tried acrylic and it was almost impossible until I coated the whole thing with matt medium. That was OK, but not great. I think that claybord is a product to be avoided.

xan
03-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Augh! So it's not just me! :P I have a painting I set aside almost 2 years ago that I'm trying to finish. The claybord just defeated me. I think I need to just keep layering up, with glazing medium, and hope for the best. It's a big painting and I don't really want to start ALL over again. Or, might have to get all mixed-media on it, layer up with some gesso as well ... Hmmmmm ...

KJBaker422
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I use acrylic ink airbrushed on clayboard and then scratch back to white and re ink for more depth.... if you have questions about it post it in the scratchbord forum there are quite a few members using claybord there. Ampersand also has its own ink for use on the claybord, but I love the Liquitex acrylic ink.

xan
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Ah, that's lovely! I thought maybe airbrush might be a good way to paint directly on the claybord.

I've wondered about using acrylic inks for scratchboard techniques. Do you get any skin-tearing issues?

KJBaker422
03-21-2012, 04:14 PM
the acrylic ink doesn't peel up or anything it acts just like ink or watercolor... the only thing you have to make sure of is to let it totally dry before scratching it back again, if you scratch it when it's even a little damp it really gouges the clay.

once i messed a board up and tried to gesso over it and paint with regular acrylics...total disaster, it's way too smooth for that...every brush stroke shows up and if you try to layer the paint the old layer gets lifted up.

xan
03-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Ah, good to know. Thanks! :)

pepper66
03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
I covered clayboard with Golden Gac 100, then a layer of matt medium and don't seem to be having any trouble with it.

xan
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
pepper66, did you find any advantage to using claybord, with all that surface prep, than you would over, say, a gessoed panel that cost a lot less?

Maybe I'll lay in a layer of matte medium, and see how that goes. I don't have any GAC 100 on hand. ... Oh! I do so! :D I'll give your recipe a shot. Thanks, pepper66!

BeeCeeEss
03-22-2012, 05:08 PM
The clayboard is super absorbent and is great for working with watercolors or using a thinned acrylic wash in watercolor method. But it sucks all the moisture right down and out of your paint and makes it very difficult to work with if you want some time to work thicker paints. This also makes it difficult for your layer of acrylic paint to self-level and smooth out a bit before drying, hence the brush strokes are very visible.

I have worked with clayboard in the past and like to coat it first with my favorite gesso/fine pumice gel medium mixture. I mix some of Golden's fine pumice gel medium into my acrylic gesso and combine it very well. Then I use it as a prep coat for paintings in acrylics or oils. The fine pumice gel will give the dried gesso coat a feel of a very fine sand-textured pastel board. It also helps to grip the paint beautifully when you are working in thicker layers. The reason I started doing this with gesso many years ago is because I read an Ampersand add about how great their pastel board is for working with acrylics, too. I got a few small pieces to try it and like it very much. So, now I create my own "pastel" ground. It works great on illustration board, museum board, wood panels, canvas, even watercolor paper that I want to seal so it isn't so absorbent.

Eventually your layers of acrylic paint will seal the (untreated) clayboard and prevent it from quickly absorbing all the moisture from your paint. The paint strokes will also have a bit more time to level.

Beverly

xan
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Ah, that's another fun one to try!

I've tested painting on top of the GAC 100, which I covered my painting with. That's working pretty well by itself. I might try the matte medium to see if that gives me a little more texture to work with as well.

I bought a BUNCH of large claybord panels awhile back for a specific show, haven't used them yet, and have been afraid of them because of this painting! Now I have some options. Thanks!

BeeCeeEss
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Ah, that's another fun one to try!

I've tested painting on top of the GAC 100, which I covered my painting with. That's working pretty well by itself. I might try the matte medium to see if that gives me a little more texture to work with as well.

I bought a BUNCH of large claybord panels awhile back for a specific show, haven't used them yet, and have been afraid of them because of this painting! Now I have some options. Thanks!

I should also add that, when I do my prep coats of gesso/fine pumice gel medium on clayboards, I first give the clayboard a light sanding with fine sandpaper in a circular motion. Then wipe away the fine dust with a damp cloth and let it dry before the gesso. This roughens the ultra-smooth clay surface just a bit and gives my gesso/pumice gel medium a great grip on the surface. I have always hated painting on a super-glass-smooth surface and clayboard is really smooth!

Beverly

Violetta
03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm so glad my question sparked such wonderful answers and useful information. Thank you everyone for your responses!!! You have let me know that my experience with acrylic on claybord is not unique.

I chose to put two layers of gesso on my claybord with fine sanding between layers and at the end. I've set it aside and I'll use for another project when the right one presents itself.

idylbrush
03-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Something I do now and again, add a bit of marble dust to the primer.To a 16 oz jar I add a tablespoon or so and some distilled water. It adds a nice tooth. If you are going to gesso/prime the panels you might as well forego the clayboard and just use hardboard and GAC 100 before applying the gesso/primer. Save you a bit of money that way.

Violetta
03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
If you are going to gesso/prime the panels you might as well forego the clayboard and just use hardboard and GAC 100 before applying the gesso/primer. Save you a bit of money that way.

I wholeheartedly agree Howard. I bought the claybord panel to experiment and see which supports I like for acrylic and which I don't. I won't be buying any more.

BeeCeeEss
03-23-2012, 01:59 PM
...If you are going to gesso/prime the panels you might as well forego the clayboard and just use hardboard and GAC 100 before applying the gesso/primer. Save you a bit of money that way.

I agree, too. I originally bought some clayboard to experiment with working with acrylics in watercolor style, but found it very difficult. With watercolor, at least you could lift out and soften some portions of it. Not so with the acrylics. They dried super fast and I found it more difficult than working this way on regular watercolor paper! I still got to use the panels by giving them a couple of coats of gesso, but I have no plans to buy any more.

Howard, where do you buy the marble dust? I've heard of this as an additive to gesso but I don't know where to purchase it. I'd like to give it a try.

Beverly

idylbrush
03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Generally available at the art supply but if not....Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/products/fredrix-powdered-marble-dust/).

I have also used rottenstone, generally available at hardware stores, but, if not, try Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Rottenstone-1-lb/dp/B003AYPRLA).

xan
03-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks, Beverly. That makes sense. I can't wait to try that one!