View Full Version : Rebirth....

susme48
03-03-2012, 06:41 PM
This is my latest...I hope you like it...:crossfingers:

14x18 wrapped canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2012/51170-feathery9a.JPG

Chia
03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Wow - another very intriguing piece from you Susan! This one leaves me with lots of questions about the message here. The figure is beautifully done and the blue/white "foam" is light and fresh with a feel of cotton candy. A couple of questions: why such a dark background? Is it important to the "story" of the piece? I do find the black to be very heavy - but maybe that is your intent. Also I am curious as to where the lower part of her body has gone. Have you considered dropping the white area to the bottom of the canvas? These are just areas I am curious about. Because the narrative is ambiguous I am asking, rather than suggesting. I am so impressed with the way that you are pushing the envelope with your art!

purplepansey
03-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes, I do like it, it's beautiful. She looks so thrilled and happy in this painting.

noodle1
03-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Well done Sue and I too would like to know a bit of your thinking with this if you don't mind. It's just me but I'm not connecting the re-birth aspect tho
I could see some link with the black background, like breaking through from a dark time into the light of better. Just curious too and I agree with Chia you are doing excellently with pushing the envelope with your art....Great things coming from you girlfriend!!!

Hugs,
Elaine

Kathrin G.
03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I am truly impressed my friend :clap: :clap: :clap:
I like the dark because I see it as a breaking out from under a layer of dark/despair into the light, re-birthing herself to a new life of light and hope.
Fabulous work on the figure, you really discovered a hidden talent here.
Keep it up :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dcam
03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Powerful image and I like your use of complements. Great job on the figure and feathery background. Enjoyed. derek

susme48
03-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Coralie, and Elaine...I saw her pushing her way up out of a sort of cocoon/egg/rift from despair/darkness/pain into a new life. To me the contrast between the black, and the blue/white showed the contrast between light and darkness (and I cannot lie, I have a TON of black paint...:o ) The lower part of her body is still 'inside', and she is still struggling to be fully free. Thank you for making me look again at her, and question my choices...I guess what art 'says' is subjective, and what it says to me, is perhaps not what it will say to others. I was afraid that adding anything else to clarify the symbolism, would take away from the soft/harsh, dark/light contrast. I really appreciate your comments, and the thoughts behind them!!!

Thanks, Purple!

Kathryn...thank you so much!! You explained me better than I did...lol!

Thanks, Derek!!!

Charlie's Mum
03-04-2012, 04:40 PM
I see it the way Kathrin does - in fact, she wrote my comment;)

Really well done Susan - the figure is good - you've developed your fig. painting so well - I'm impressed (and I hope that doesn't sound patronising!)

My one crit about the ambiguity is of the hair - if she's pushing up would her hair be trailing down?
Doesn't mean it needs changing, just me being curious!:lol:

susme48
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Thank you Maureen!!! I saw her as beginning with her head bowed , and then flinging head and hair back in freedom/pride/defiance? :lol: that's my story and I'm sticking to it....:wink2:

ArtMusicFilm
03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Very nice! I love the movement and overall theme! :-)

Paul

OkeeKat
03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
FABULOUS SUSAN!!!:clap:
Love the finished, the title fits!!:thumbsup:
Well done my friend!! I hope the rebirth leaves the dark in the past!!:D

susme48
03-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Now that is weird....I did thank both of you, Paul and Kathie....wonder where it went????? Thanks again!!!

Charlie's Mum
03-05-2012, 05:29 PM
You can stick to your story Sue - can't see into your head!! ;) ;):lol:

Think the site is playing up again *sigh*

Raymo
03-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I like her !

....and you're not fooling me, it's totally painted from a picture of your younger days....:heart:

susme48
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks, Maureen....sometimes, I cannot even see in my head...lol!!

Thanks Ray!! Yep sure...that's me, in my dreams anyway....lol

chammi kaiser
03-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Susan. I think this has been very therapeutic for you and it is so honest and so stunning. I admire and respect your decision to share this. Wonderful touching painting.:thumbsup:

mooz49
03-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Gorgeous work on the body and face Susan. She looks like she has been liberated and she is so happy. :heart: :clap:

skappy
03-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Great job Susan it is a powerful painting
Robert

susme48
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Thank you, Chammi!!

Anne, thanks so much!

Thanks Robert!!

I appreciate everyone looking at it!!

Ozone
03-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Time for a Rebirth... I like her face and body too Susan. The right side of her "abs" could be straiten just a tad.

Her rib cage could be more like this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2012/116692-Untitled-1.jpg

Oz:)

susme48
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Oz!! I think you mean her right side, not the right side of the painting? Hope so....lol!!