GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a portion of one I'm working on. I have been playing aroud with non-traditional themes. The image in my head didn't quite make it to the canvas.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
To me, the painting appears flat and cartoonish. I would like to obtain a higher level of realism. I've run out of things to try. Any help would be appreciated. Also, The actual downloaded pictures on this site are great. What is typically used to get such good results.

andyvry
04-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Hiya Harry,

Welcome to WC............This looks good to me as far as you have got, anyway.

The little girl's feet look a little bit 'pasted on' to the background, But a bit of shadow would help 'pin them down' if you know what I mean. And for just behind her legs - the verge - needs to be more detailed, perhaps more crisply defined I mean, then as the eye leads towards the van, details need to be diminished. The fact that you have 'the same color' almost up to the van doesn't help in my view.........I think I'd be looking to lighten the middle ground, thus attempting to bring the girl forward, and the van (I take it that's what it is) further back. It's just what I'd think of doing if it were me. Hope any of this might help. It would be interesting to see the whole picture.......

I photograph my paintings with a 35mm camera in bright but diffuse light - no flash. A digital would be better........certainly handier, that's for sure. Many people use these.

andy.

jerryW
04-24-2003, 11:19 PM
a luxurious take
contradictions
good play of vertical and horzontal
the yellow and cream are the main characters.

Harry
04-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Hey thanks,

I took your advice at lunch today. I lightened up the areas around her head which really brings her to the forefront. I also diffused some of the detail in the mobile home/van. This also helped. I added a little more shadow around the feet as well. Thanks again. Just those quick alterations really improved it.