PDA

View Full Version : Foal/ unicorn foal pencil WIP

sportpony
04-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Thought I'd post this here even though this will be a unicorn, my unicorns are definitely based on equines!

The basic outline of this is established and I've done the eye and started blocking in the face detail.

Biggest problem I'm having is I work very "delicately" and the shading is very light. I am not getting the detail that is actually there scanned in ...

sportpony
04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
And a detail of the eye. For some reason, once I get the general outline, the first thing I have to do is the eye ... if that goes well, the rest seems to come too ...

Also, this scan seems to show a bit more detail ...

Redsy333
04-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Oh this looks lovely thus far;)
Carry on!!

belegwen
04-24-2003, 12:01 PM
I love this idea of a baby unicorn in fact I made one a few years ago. They are lots of fun to make. I think your foals face is good but just on a personal note I would like to see more of the foals lower face. Maybe if I could see what you are doing with what is in front of the foal it would help. OH DUH.. WORK IN PROGRESS! sorry.. sometimes I get dense. I can't wait to see more. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
oh.. when you get this completed please post it on the fantasy formum too.. we need more of the sweet fantasy in there as we can never have enough.

Belegwen

lorna12
04-25-2003, 12:55 AM
I love the composition of this and the fact that it's a unicorn. Been collecting them for years (and years)

Your sketch is lovely but I don't get the feeling that this is a baby. I think the eye might be too adult looking?? I'm not an expert on horses, so I may be waaay out to lunch on this. I'm sure one of the horsey people will let you know.

Please post your progress, I would love to see this when it's finished.

Suzy78
04-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Looking good so far, but I agree with Lorna about this equid.. (when using this horsey word as a noun, it's considered more correct to use equid. Equine is primarily used as an adjective. Sometimes the two are interchanged, but it's not really correct.) :)

I like the composition, but I'm instantly reading yearling as a minimum age of this unicorn. It's a combination of the length of the head and the adult expression of the eye (particularly folding of the skin around the eye). If you're going for young foal, I'd look at some of the pics put up recently of someone's foals. I think Stephanie (SREquine Images) put up some pics of her babies that will help you understand what I mean. If you're going for a slightly older looking animal, then I think you're doing great!!!

Suzy

lorna12
04-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Suzy, My apologizes. It was a silly attempt at humor, I could have said "Someone who knows horses". As I didn't know the correct term, I was just shortening up my typing. I'll try to remember the correct terminology in the future. So would I replace the word 'horsey' with 'equid', as in "Ask one of the equid people." ??

Paul Hopkinson
04-27-2003, 12:40 PM
This is sooo nice! I also love to see a picture of a Unicorn and your delicate drawing is certainly paying off.
I'm currently in the middle of my first horse painting and I must admit I also started with the eye after drawing the outline. I wonder if that's because the eye is the life of the animal?
All my animal paintings have been started the same way.

Paul

Suzy78
04-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Oh, Lorna! I hope you didn't take me the wrong way! I wasn't trying to be mean. It's just a pet peeve. And since you would be using an adjective, it would be equine people. :D Equid = horse Equine = horsey

lorna12
04-27-2003, 02:47 PM
No, Suzy, Of course I didn't take it the wrong way! I really didn't know the correct term, so thanks for the right one. I didn't think you were "being mean", just "educational.":D

Suzy78
04-27-2003, 02:49 PM
I guess I'm too used to teaching and mothering! :)

Suzy

RachelG*
04-27-2003, 03:29 PM
This looks great so far! maybe to make it look a bit more like a foal you could shorten up the nose, or bigger ears....babys are hard; they're sooooo out of porportion:p !! lol. great job though! cannot wait to see the finished drawing!!