GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dominion
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8 x 10 in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was going to do this ala prima, but I'm too tired. I'll finish tomorrow. I just need to soften some edges in the horses and add a bit more detail to them.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything else?

s-augustson
04-24-2003, 08:08 AM
I think it looks great as it is. What does ala prima mean?

snuffy
04-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Wes -
Way cool! Like the action and the implied drama. Congrats.

andyvry
04-24-2003, 09:20 AM
This looks great Wes.......as is. But you'll know your own mind, I'm sure, as to how much more you think it needs......to what you envisaged.

Shawn........."alla prima"..........Italiano for, "at the first" - the technique whereby the final surface of the painting is completed in one sitting, essentially, without any underpainting.

andy.

artbabe21
04-24-2003, 09:43 AM
good to see you on the boards again, thought you were MIA with SCott...this is terrific...very colorful...:)

May will be an exciting month for you!!

coulter
04-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Wow, love those hills and the tree. Oh right, it's not a landscape :D Well you know where my mindset is..... The horses are dynamic, the violence comes through...
Can't wait to see the finish Wes!!!

Mark

jerryW
04-24-2003, 11:31 PM
great resolve to this idea.
how the big boys play.

Helen Zapata
04-25-2003, 09:18 AM
I love this Wes! The horses are magnificent. They remind me of my dogs wrestling. :D And the mountains behind are wonderful!

The only thing I keep noticing is the left rear leg of the red horse. The left hip seems a little weak. I could be wrong (my horses are awful) but maybe something to take a second look at before you call it done?

Thanks for showing us! Always love to see your work.

Helen

mattlart
04-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Some really nice stuff here, Wes...LOL, how's THAT for a thorough, well-thought-out critique,..LOL!

Seriously now;.the mountains are gorgeous;..and I'm guessing that you'll be playing with those horses a bit more.
I know that you've said that the photo isn't accurate.....;from what I'm looking at on my screen;...you might consider toning down the greens to a more natural "olive" tone;..they look a little bright here.....
You might also consider bringing a few touches of blue from the sky down into the foreground for the sake of color harmony:)

Can't wait to see the finish "in person"!! Cheers,-Scott

Wes Hyde
04-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Better?

JustjoGA
04-30-2003, 07:23 PM
WOW!! So much drama... I think maybe this has to be the one I like best of your work, Wes... Color, action, clear air.... all here...

mattlart
04-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Yes..WOW!

You've toned the foreground beautifully, Wes. The brown primary horse is gorgeous and POWERFUL.
Everything MOVES in this painting!
A Winner!;)

I have but ONE suggestion:...IF this were mine,..I would probably make the color EVEN MORE harmonious;..and here's how.......:) consider turning the sky a very light..........yellow. Actually,...;not yellow,...but a light naples with white clouds.
Just a thought. Either way......BRAVO. ;) -Scott

coulter
04-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Yeah! Nicer still! and I can see a yellow sky :D

Mark