PDA

View Full Version : Bosnian Souvenirs - II

ale.l
04-24-2003, 06:23 AM
Traditional Bosnian plate :)

I think, this could have been improved compositionally, but it's late now.

I was keen to see how this metal plate could be done.

What do you think I should have done to make it more interesting?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/17217-sahan1a.JPG

Yorky
04-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Hi Ale,

Did you get my private message?

I would have introduced some light direction into this, producing a more istinct shadow and perhaps highlights.

If the plate is bright metal, then perhaps some brown reflection from the table would be in order.

Doug

ale.l
04-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Thank you Yorky.
The thing is - this is old metal, don't know the name :) It's not shiny or flashy, anyway- thanks for the comments AND FOR THE MESSAGE. .. I will come to making THAT some time later on

As for the light, hm... I didn't dare experiment more than the ref pic showed... maybe when i get bolder and more experienced.

artmom
04-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Ale, nice rendering--doesn't quite read as metal, though. Yorky's suggestions are right on. Even if the metal is dull, if you get enough light shining on it, it should look more metallic.

Lyn

karenboss
04-24-2003, 10:32 AM
yes, Yorkie's right, needs stronger light.

Your rendering is lovely, and you're technical skills are showing well. but IM(not so H)O - the composition is tooooooo symetrical - now, I'm not suggesting you chop up your beautiful painting, but in some ways it is more interesting like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/4697-temporary.jpg
just an idea for the next ones.

lyn lynch
04-24-2003, 12:45 PM
I do not think the composition lacks, although I state that is not my long suite. Perhaps it just needs a bit more definition [dark] in lost and found on the mid-tones. Check your gray scale...You could intensify the reflected shadow just a bit. Are you using a Payne's Gray for your grays...I think that is the summation of the problem--a gray which is not comprised of 2 colors, such as FUMB and it's compliment will render a dull looking gray.

Basically, though I think the style reflects your region. This is not intended to be a decorative painting piece or a fine art in the sense of American watercolors. It's what I classify as European, a gentile look, aged and comfortable.

painterbear
04-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Hello Ale,

I have a serving dish like this from Turkey only it is made of copper—I was told it is a Pilaf Dish for keeping pilaf warm when it is brought to the table.

I think you've done a very nice job of capturing the form and the decorative etching on your serving dish. If it is made of pewter or covered with tin, it wouldn't be very shiny but there would be lighter places where the light is reflected off it and darker where it is shadowed. Right now, the tones all seem to be mid-tones.

Compositionally, I think you could add a decorative serving spoon on the table next to it, or a dish onto which the food inside the server would be placed, or perhaps a candle holder with a candle in it.

I am enjoying your paintings of Bosnian items, they are very decorative.

blaz
04-25-2003, 05:52 AM
Aww!
You are really a talented painter. I admire your work. Beautiful colors, nice composition. It is so hard to find such beautiful paintings in these days.
I don't share karenbossa's opinion about crippling your art. Uhh.
Maybe you could post more of your paintings ?

Thanks