PDA

View Full Version : another question: pours & motherwashes

artcrazy
04-24-2003, 06:10 AM
thanks to everyone who helped me out with my paper question yesterday.

I have been trying to figure out what a POUR, a MODIFIED pour, and a MOTHERWASH are. are they the same thing basically :confused: . Do you actually just "pour" the watered down paint onto the paper from a bottle or something? I have looked thru many threads with these things, they look very nice, just can't exactly figure out what to do to start........

I'd like to try some new techniques and styles :)

thanks!!!:) ;) :clap: :D

Yorky
04-24-2003, 06:23 AM
Pampe is the motherwash queen, you should click on her profile and then "Find threads started by Pampe".

Basically they are all wet-in-wet techniques. My understanding is that a POUR is when you pour premixed watercolour onto the paper and maybe tilt the paper to get pleasing effects, especially where adjacent colours mix. This can then be used as a basis for a painting - abstract or no.

A MODIFIED POUR would be where you have taken the brush to a pour and pushed the paint where you want it to go.

A MOTHERWASH would be a wet-in-wet background for a painting, putting the colours more or less where they need to be on the underlying sketch, but now worrying if they stray a little. This can give interesting unity to a painting when you paint over the motherwash.

Now the experts will tell me where I went wrong :rolleyes:

Doug

painterbear
04-24-2003, 06:28 AM
I'm not an expert, but you sound right on the money to me, Yorky.

Check out the sticky at the top of the Watercolor page. There is a thread there that Rod has compiled which features threads about all kinds of topics that people ask question about. I'm pretty sure there are threads on pours, modified pours, and motherwashes there.

pampe
04-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Yorky has those definitions down as well and Webster:D

CharM
04-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Pam... I have to tell you... I went to the Sticky and then read through your Pour WIP. Words are inadequate...