PDA

View Full Version : Big May Show

matingara
04-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Hi guys,

Here is an interesting story for you all. Last Christmas I did a series of paintings called "Christmas Tree Island". I think I posted one of them here.

Anyway, I put them onto eBay and they all sold for good prices. Two of them sold to a lady in the country town of Donald which is about three hours drive out of the town where I live (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia).

She showed the works to the owner of the local art gallery and he invited me to come up and do a one man show as part of the "Baby Boomers Festival". This Festival is next Weekend - May 2/3/4.

So, I have been framing some of my favorites and I will take them up to this show. My opinion is - that even if they do not sell - it is a great learning experience for me. I will also get the chance to meet some nice people and see a couple of my paintings hanging in someone's house. I will also be able to do some plein aire in the countryside. So - all in all - win-win-win!

I will report on the outcomes of my trip. I plan to take my notebook so I will even be able to report on them "live" at the scene!!!

Wish me luck! I may need it!

Joel.

babybrush
04-24-2003, 01:06 AM
this is great!! being envited would be the biggest thrill for me, whether i went or not. i hope you can sell some, but i'm sure you will have fun anyway

Bethany

Brelaina
04-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Wow - what a neat story !
I love to hear how people got started and I'll bet this is just the beginning for you !!

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Bre

Fagan
04-24-2003, 04:00 AM
Congratulations! This will be a wonderful experience for you. Take pictures!

white-anubis
04-24-2003, 04:26 AM
Yay! What fun! Good for you!

painterbear
04-24-2003, 05:57 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Joel,

That is wonderful news. One never knows when something like this is going to come along.

Please do take lots of photos when you are there to share your artistic triumph with us. It will be nice if you sell some paintings, but just being invited to be part of the show is a winner in my books.

Good for you. :p

CharM
04-24-2003, 08:58 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: What a wonderful story!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations and good luck!

Uschi
04-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Fantastic Joel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take lots of pictures to show us!!!!!
Uschi

Sandy1
04-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Congradulations !!! Wishing you all the best.
Sandy

matingara
05-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Hi guys,

Well I made the journey to up-country Victoria this past weekend for the Donald Baby Boomers and Country Living Festival.

Because these lovely farming folks are in the SEVENTH year of severe drought I was highly dubious that any of my paintings would sell.

And - well - I was right. The Gallery sold ONE painting (for under $100) during the entire festival. However, lots of positives same from this experience.

(1) I got to meet one of my eBay customers who is a real sweetheart.

(2) I saw my paintings hung in a REAL Gallery amongst other paintings.

(3) I got to see the public reaction to my pieces

(4) I got a preview of a new, larger Gallery in a much bigger town where my work will hang going forward.

(5) The new, larger Gallery also contains a HUGE artist's retreat, motel and cafe/restaurant. So this will be a great place for me and my fellow students to go and work away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

I will post some photos shortly.

Now - I must get back to my paints and paper!

:)

Joel.

Little Old Lady
05-07-2003, 08:31 PM
Sorry you didn't have more luck with selling but it does sound like a positive experience any way.
JoAnn

pampe
05-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Congrats on the invite, Joel

Wonderful to see you making great lemonade from the event

GOOD FOR YOU...wish you the best!

Pam

painterbear
05-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi Joel,

Sounds like the experience was a good one—you learned things about exhibits and met interesting people AND found a new artists' retreat and gallery to show your works in.

So, you didn't sell a painting, but, obviously only one person did amongst all the artists there so that doesn't really reflect badly on you either.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

mustcreate
05-08-2003, 10:55 AM
how exciting for you Joel!!

what a great attitude you have about this experience.

it will serve you well :)

em

matingara
05-11-2003, 04:26 AM
As promised here are some photos from the show.

This is one of the art gallery itself.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7971-gall.jpg

matingara
05-11-2003, 04:28 AM
Here is my painting "Silhouette-Scape" hanging in the outdoor wine and cheese teasting event tent

:)

The wine and cheeses were lovely BTW.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7971-tent1.jpg

matingara
05-11-2003, 04:31 AM
And lastly here are "Forest Stream I" and "Approaching Phillip Island" hanging in da Gallery.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7971-fsgall.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2003/7971-api2.jpg

painterbear
05-11-2003, 05:18 AM
Hi Joel,

Your paintings looked really good hanging amongst all those others. The gallery did a very nice job displaying the paintings.

Thanks for showing us the pictures.