PDA

View Full Version : iris paintings

white-anubis
04-23-2003, 10:47 PM
These are some iris that I did last year on commission from some photos of my father's iris. (Which I uploaded if anyone wants to use them.) I have lots more pics and would love to paint some more. I'd love all the advice I can get. I realy want to go for more detail, esp. #1, I know-have patience and let the paint dry!!!
The iris are blooming again and I'm going to get more pics. I realy want to do a painting of every variety he has.The one on black is gouche, the other is regular watercolor.<P></P>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/14705-irisgouache.jpg<P></P>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/14705-iriswatercolor.jpg

babybrush
04-24-2003, 01:08 AM
ooh, i especially like the second one. unusual composition for a classic watercolor subject = great painting

Bethany

Loki
04-24-2003, 01:14 AM
I like the first one the contrast adds interest.... how was the dark background achieved?

white-anubis
04-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Thanks guys! The black on the first is black Strathmore ArtAgain paper-extra smooth, which I love for gouache, though the paper was designed for scrapbooks. The only size I've ever seen it come in is 9x12.

painterbear
04-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Hello Walerian,

These are both beautiful images of irises. I like the ways the different media affect the final look of the flowers.

The one on black is very dramatic and bold.

The one that is regular watercolor is also dramatic because of the composition. It reminds me a little of Van Gogh's masterpiece of a bed of irises.

Very, very nice paintings.

M.A.
04-24-2003, 06:09 AM
Both are great! You have captured so much detail already. Wondering how you're going to do more detail than you already have. Will be watching eagerly!

Yorky
04-24-2003, 06:29 AM
I think I prefer the light background, its easier to see the subject.

Doug

white-anubis
04-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Thank you so much for your comments! It helps me decide what I'm going to do and how. I was thinking of doing most on the lighter background too. The white or light-colored varietes I might do on the black still. Is that a good idea? Some of the pics just call for massive detailing. Like this one:<P></P>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/14705-iris10.jpg

karenjh
04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
I like them both - I really like the second one because if it's unique composition. That photo you posted is gorgeous. I'd love to see you paint that.

CharM
04-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Actually, I like them both for different reasons. The dark background provides a stunning background for irises... The lighter background lends itself to a botanical or landscape visual. Both are appealing. I love the photo!!!

I read in one of Tom Lynch's books, I think, that you "trick" the eye with detail. Paint only enough to suggest what you are trying to portray... the onlooker's brain will fill in the rest of the detail from the messages sent by the eye...

Having said all that... I'm absolutely anal about detail and love doing meticulous pieces... Good luck with this and keep posting!

Sandy1
04-24-2003, 11:40 AM
These are both beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Adrienne
04-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Very nice. I especially love the gracefulness of the 2nd.

white-anubis
04-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Fortunately enough, I found that I still have the original sketches that I did on tracing paper, so I can redo these two. (I'm such a lazy artist when it comes to drawing, yet I can spend hours in math class drawing every detail in a sketch.:p ) I hate having to redraw something when I start over, so I always do my drawings on tracing paper so that if I screw up, I just rub the drawing on another sheet.I'm probably still going to tackle that speckly orange one next, after I get this betta fish I'm working on done. Then I'll redo these two. <P></P>Thanks Char for the book sugestion. I'll see if I can find it. Heck, my mentor probably has a copy, knowing him. I'll ask.