PDA

View Full Version : Pink Roses and Butterfly WIP

karenjh
04-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Well Roses are popular at WC these days! I am almost afraid to put this up here given the beautiful ones that have been painted by many of you - and Sandy's current WIP is amazing. So anyway, here goes (cringing...). Not happy with the background base but we'll see what happens. I don't think I'm done with this rose yet and I still have shadows to put in. There is a bud on the right and a rose not quite open with a butterfly in it in between and above these two. Leaves will come later.

COMMENTS WANTED AND WELCOMED .... 1/4 sheet Arches CP

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/8699-Pink_Rose_WIP_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/8699-Pink_Rose_WIP_2.jpg

CharM
04-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Keep the roses coming!!! Karen, your painting is coming along beautifully. I'm especially interested in your background. I struggle with them so badly... I really like your composition and I'm looking forward to your progress. Can't wait to see your butterfly!

babybrush
04-23-2003, 10:06 PM
be sure to make the base of the petals and the center darker. it will give alot of depth and form to your rose. i think that if you add the right amount of leaves and stuff in the background and this will be a stunner.

Bethany

white-anubis
04-23-2003, 10:32 PM
I love the background! Keep it coming!

JanJones
04-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Can't wait to see it finished. Love the background.

karenjh
04-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Char, Thanks for the tip on the petals - I'll give that a whirl.

Walerian and Jan - Thanks, I am glad the background doesn't look that bad. I have stuff to add so I think it will be okay.

Uschi
04-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Your rose is lovely and the salt in the background worked great (much better than it ever does for me!). You have a wonderful base for youbackground, you can glaze over it for very subtle texture.
Uschi

CharM
04-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Karen, I'd love to take credit for giving you good advice :evil: , but the petal tip came from Bethany!!! :D I have painted many roses in acrylics, but never in wc so I didn't want to say anything until I'd done one myself. That's why I love watching all the rose threads...

karenjh
04-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Oops, Yes Bethany thank you for the tip!

Sandy1
04-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Hi Karen

Thanks. Great roses. I absolutely love that background. How did you do that? Bethany and Uschi beat me to the only suggestions I can see, other than add a few veins. I just explained how I do that on my Wip. Really great job , can't wait to see it finished.
Sandy

karenjh
04-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Sandy and Uschi thanks.

Sandy I will have to look for your tip on the Veins in your WIP. The background is done with a couple of different mixtures of green, a blue and some perm aliz crimson/perm rose mixture. I used maragarita salt which I like - not too fine and not too large!

Sandy1
04-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi Karen
If your rose is pink or permanent rose, for your shadow colour I would try on a sample sheet first, Permanent Rose and French ultramarine Blue and see what you think. You can also add some Indian Yellow to the very center parts of the petal to add a glow.

Hope that helps, thanks for the tip on the background , I am going to have to give that a try.
Sandy

al22
04-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Rose wip looking great.........good advice given........salt bg came out good......
.........al

painterbear
04-24-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Karen,

I think your rose is turning out great and your plans to add another bud will accent the opened one.

I think the background looks a little busy right now, but once you put in the leaves and stems and other flower, it will be terrific. The colors are very nice in it.