PDA

View Full Version : New Subject......Pink Rose!

Nitsa
04-23-2003, 07:55 PM
I have decided to give this wonderful rose a try. The ref was taken by Cookbrown (TY!!!!) and I shall be working on the bottom rose only.
I am working on 9x12 arches 90lb CP paper.

Pink can be a little tricky to create a good tonal range with without going all reddy looking, so I was hoping you would all have some wonderful advice for me on this.
I have W&N perm rose, scarlet lake and aliz crimson in my pallette, is there a better red/pink to paint this with that I am missing?

mhimeswc
04-23-2003, 08:00 PM
You've picked a real beauty to work from. I usually use permanent rose and perm. alizarin crimson for pink roses, with perm. alizarin and a little ultramarine blue for the shadows. Good luck with it. Is this going to be a WIP?

Michelle

white-anubis
04-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Great pic! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

karenjh
04-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing this painted. Roses are popular aren't they?

babybrush
04-23-2003, 10:07 PM
an exquisite specimen. i have faith you can do it justice.

Bethany

CharM
04-23-2003, 10:33 PM
The photo you chose is absolutely beautiful. I'm certain that you'll do just fine with it!!!! I really like permanent rose with alizarin crimson (permanent) for my brighter areas. The pink in the ref is very soft... Looking forward to your (WIP??) painting...

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Let me get this straight.......You want ME to do this as a WIP while Sandy's roses are still in progress??????? ...Wouldn't that be a bit like hanging myself in public? LOL! :eek:

Ok.....Why not! It will be an experience if nothing else right? LOL!

Here's the sketch then:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/18769-PinkRoseWIP1.JPG

Sorry it doesn't show up too well...Best I could do!
I am pleased with the sketch, so all is good so far! :)

Michelle...Thanx for the tips!
Walerian....Thanx for the pressure! ROFL!
Karen....I think roses are a challenging species, maybe that's why they are so popular, us artists love a challenge don't we?
Bethany.......How sweet for you to have faith in me...TY!
Char...My Aliz Crimson is not permanent, at least it doesn't say that on the tube but at least I have the right shades that seem appropraite for this colour rose. Thanx for the encouragement!

I have company today so may not be able to do anything until this evening...Will keep you all updated tho' as I go.....Thanx for keeping me company! :D

M.A.
04-24-2003, 06:07 AM
Looking forward to watching your development on this piece!

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Oooh, another question for you......Would you add the background colour before or after on this piece?
Normally I would add it before but looking at the depth of that background and the feintness of that rose I am wondering if this will bleed each time I paint the petal tips?

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Sorry Fun2cook, didn't see you there.....Thanx for the encouragement!

CharM
04-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Backgrounds are my bane... Can't offer advice there. There are many others who can offer better advice about your reds, but be careful with your aliz crimson... It will fade over time... It needs to be from the quinacridone family to retain lightfastness...

Your sketch is beautiful I really like the composition. I'm very interested in what you decide with your background... Keep posting!!!

babybrush
04-24-2003, 08:49 AM
add the background before is my advice. i'll even give you reason. it is easier to not be scared about messing up a finished rose with a crappy background than vice versa, it gets you started painting but is kindof fun (if you keep it loose and washy), and i found you get better edges around the flower if you do it this way.

i haven't painted a great nimber of flowers, but i have done it both ways and before is so much better.

Bethany

Uschi
04-24-2003, 09:10 AM
I agree with Bethany - says I who always does the background last and agonizes over it HA!

But, it will bleed and that is the reason I do it last, so maybe do the background in the way you intend but a bit lighter and then darken when the rose is done.
Will be watching!!!!! Yours and Sandies:D :D :D
Uschi

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Thanx for the encouragement Char! :)
I have taken both of your advice Bethany and Uschi and have added a mediumwash background in now using sap green, windsor yellow and a little indanthrene blue.
Will be watching!!!!! Yours and Sandies
Erm...Thanx Uschi! LOL! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/18769-Pict0975.JPG

white-anubis
04-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Looking good! Nice fluffy background.

Uschi
04-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Background looks fantastic!!!!
Uschi

JanJones
04-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Looking good, will enjoy watching your process.

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 05:58 PM
Thanx for hanging around and offering support Jan, Uschi and Walerian! ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/18769-PinkroseWIP2.JPG

Started to colour the rose now and I am quite happy so far!.....PLEASE, if you see anything that could be better or sticking out like a sore thumb along the way....SHOUT!
LOL!

babybrush
04-24-2003, 06:18 PM
i am assuming from the way you said you were doing your background that you are going to do a darker wash after you are done with the rose, so i only want to put my two cents in and say that i think it would look good to have it darkest undernieth the rose.

the background and what you have done on the petals looks terrific so far. this is exciting. hopw you are having fun

Bethany

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 07:50 PM
YES, I do plan to go a little darker with the background, I think it will need it to make the rose POP! ......Thanx for the advice!
I am having fun actually, although I admit to being a little nervous about my whites....I am NOT using masking on this piece!

This is where I am now at 1AM....Yes....1AM!!!!!: :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/18769-PINKROSEWIP3.JPG

CharM
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
This is coming along beautifully! I AM SO IMPRESSED WITH YOUR BACKGROUND!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm loving the pink! You nailed it...

Watching....

Sandy1
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Holy Cow this is going to be gorgeous. Love it.

white-anubis
04-24-2003, 08:07 PM
this just gets better and better!

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Char.......TY so much for popping in again and for all those lovely compliments! ;)

Sandy.....OMG! ....Sandy THE rose painter thinks my rose is going to be gorgeous! :D*Beaming*:D
...Thanx for popping in Sandy, I think your roses are amazing!!!!!

Walerian.......TY!!!!!:)

M.A.
04-24-2003, 08:10 PM
This is really coming along wonderfully!

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 08:16 PM
TY Fun!!!

babybrush
04-24-2003, 08:55 PM
you are SO going to have to get a better image of the final than this digicam you are using. beg borrow or steal, but i want to see this when your done, and i mean SEE it.

Bethany

(doing great BTW)

Nitsa
04-24-2003, 09:59 PM
I know, my camera is NOT the most flattering fan I have but it's the only fan I have! LOL! :rolleyes:
Thanx Bethany!

Darkened some of the bottom portion of the background before packing it away so it will dry overnight ready for my addicted hands to scramble over in the morning. LOL! I think I may have to go a little darker all over to make it "pop" but I'll wait and see before I overdo it!

It is now 3am here and I have finally washed up the tea things, so I am off for some zzzzzzzzzz's....Night all!

Nitsa
04-25-2003, 06:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/18769-PinkroseWIP4.JPG
With the little darker bottom half!

CharM
04-25-2003, 08:01 AM
... and you should be *Beaming* ... and no! your camera is NOT your only fan!!! Duh!!!! :p

The darkened portion of your background really works...

Waiting for more...

Annetta
04-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Anita, this is looking absolutely awesome thus far!! Will be peeking in regularly to see progress :clap: :clap:

Strawberry Wine
04-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Anita:

This is looking sooo good. Your background is wonderful. I am green with envy:evil: Evil grin should be GREEN

Will pop back in later.

Gail

Nitsa
04-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Char.....Oh bless ya' for being my fan...How much did we agree? ;) Glad you like the darkened background!

Annetta.....Thanx for popping in...please feel free to hang around and grab a cookie from the sideboard! :)

Gail.....LOL! Thanx for stopping by!

Managed to do a bit more this morning:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/18769-PinkroseWIP5.JPG

Getting to the really light petals now, so I am adding value to the dark centes as I go to get an overall depth without going overboard on the Alizarin! Showing up darker on screen and I like it so I shall deffo be adding a bit more depth!

babybrush
04-25-2003, 09:17 AM
this is so beautiful. you really picked like the best rose ever to paint too. isn't it amazing how beautiful a rose can be. you are definately doing it the justice it deserves. wonderful

Bethany

Nitsa
04-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanx Bethany!
I've darkened the background a touch more and worked on that petal with the shadow.....not quite happy with it yet but I must spend some time with the family, so later! LOL!

It's a really wet yukky evening here so the digi is playing up big time, this is the best I could get it...It's really not that blue, honestly! :):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/18769-PINKROSEWIP-6.JPG

babybrush
04-25-2003, 02:02 PM
this is looking wonderful. i don't know if you plan on doing this anyway or not. but looking at the reference picture i noticed that the lower petels were much pinker than you had painted them. so here is a very bad mock up in PS of what i'm saying.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/11882-18769-PINKROSEWIP-6.jpg

hope you don't mind and hope also that maybe it helps in some tiny way.

Bethany

CharM
04-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Your rose petals are really taking definition. I like both the light and darker (Bethany's mock-up) versions... I think the darker version might be more striking against your beautiful background... What ever you decide, this is going to be gorgeous...

Uschi
04-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Coming along beautifully!!!! I am glad you are not using masking fluid. Background is coming along nicely too. When I said earlier that it is looking great, I knew you would make it darker (you saids so), I liked the variation, knowing that it wouldl shine through the dark.
Keep up the good work!!!
Uschi

els
04-25-2003, 03:19 PM
WOW, almost missed this one... Lokking very good Anita. Cant wait to see it finished...

Nitsa
04-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Thanx Els!

Uschi...I am actually enjoying painting more without masking my florals, I honestly think it looks better for not using it too!

Bethany, of course I don't mind, I think it's wonderful of you to take the time doing it for me to see....It was the digi making it appear blue tho', there is alot more pink in it......Here is another bad pic (daytime digi:()but at least this one shows a more realistic account of how much paint has been applied to each petal....I'd say it's getting on for your mock up nicely wouldn't you?......2 great minds eh! LOL!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2003/18769-PINKROSEWIP7.JPG

Still not finished but getting there!

white-anubis
04-25-2003, 07:17 PM
This is coming out so good! I'm can't wait to see it finished!

jcpower
04-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi Nitza,
Its comming out beatifully. This is why I like WIPs so much, every time I learn a little more about the painting process. Waiting to see it finished. Again, Great Job!:clap: :clap: :clap:

babybrush
04-25-2003, 10:07 PM
looks great!! great job!

Bethany

Nitsa
04-26-2003, 10:06 AM
TY Walerian, JC and Bethany! Almost finished now, just some finishing touches tonight while the family sleeps! LOL! I do feel that the background should be a little darker, in the places where it is darker the rose sits so much nicer, so I'll probably re-wash again, this time with a little more of the Ind Blue in places. (It's showing alot darker on here than in reality and I really like it!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2003/18769-PinkroseWIP8.JPG

al22
04-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Came out very well, Anita. Like the fresh whites you were able to save.
Well done!
.....al

babybrush
04-26-2003, 12:39 PM
how come this picture is so much clearer than the others? better lighting? coming along great!

Bethany

Rosemarie
04-26-2003, 01:56 PM
:clap: It is a lovely, beautifully painted rose! You should be proud! I like your background very much but I can agree on that some darker colour would be nice along the light (white) edges of the rose. Don't darken all of the background though.

Sharon Douglas
04-26-2003, 02:12 PM
It`s the first time I`ve seen this thread ( I haven`t been around much lately)
All I can say is thank God I didn`t miss it, it`s fantastic, I absolutely love it .
Sharon.

Gilberte
04-26-2003, 02:25 PM
congratulations all over Nitsa ...!

Brelaina
04-27-2003, 01:39 AM
I'm very impressed Anita.........the rose is gorgeous and you've built it up very patiently.
....but I'm alo very impressed at your perseverance ....staying p late at night to finish (I'm sure your kids must wake you early! I turn into a pumpkin at midnight. You must not be getting any sleep but you have a lovely rose painting which must make you very proud !!!!

WEll done and get some sleep tonight!

Bre

Uschi
04-27-2003, 08:28 AM
BEEEEEUUUUUTIFUL!!!!!!
Uschi

CharM
04-27-2003, 09:11 AM
OH! MY! GAWD!!! I want to "smell the roses"....

karenjh
04-27-2003, 06:53 PM
It's beautiful. So much detail and graduation of color. I love the uneven edges of all the petals and how they curl. Very nice.