PDA

View Full Version : Thread of Life

artmom
04-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Thread of Life

My "creative pause," better known as my slump--is over! I finally have finished a painting--first in about two weeks.

My husband photographed these baby robins who have taken up residence in the ledge under our porch roof. I realized that the most interesting bird is the one looking to our left, so I added the red yarn to pull the eye back into the painting. Does it work?

Comments welcome--critiques, accepted:D

Thanks.

Lyn

Limited palette--transparent watercolors

Approx. 7" x 10" Arches cp WN

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/11722-Thread_of_Life.jpg

mhimeswc
04-23-2003, 07:32 PM
I don't know if the red yarn works (pulling our eye back into the painting), but it adds a nice touch of color which I think adds a lot to the composition. I didn't find my eye going out of the painting at all, I'm just waiting to see Momma swoop in with breakfast. You did a great job on the baby birds. They are just so darn cute!!!

Michelle

Strawberry Wine
04-23-2003, 07:33 PM
I think the creative "pause' is over Lyn. Lovely rendition of the babies and the nest. I love the one with his beak wide open looking for his next meal.

You will be on a roll now.

Gail

babybrush
04-23-2003, 07:37 PM
you probably didn't intend this necessarily, but the fact that NONE of them are looking towards us emphasizes the air of expectancy. very well done. would have liked a green background more myself, but this work fine

Bethany

al22
04-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi Lyn..........glad slump over......... Think I would call this 'Anticipation'...........obviously babies are anxiously awaiting mama and next meal........ like little stix.........
.............al

CharM
04-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Awwwh... I love babies...

So glad to see you out of that darn pause! And what a comeback!

Lise
04-23-2003, 08:36 PM
The baby birds are very cute and well rendered. Wonder whether it needs just a few dashes of really dark darks in the nest? The red yarn works for me.

Little Old Lady
04-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Glad the little robins got you painting again. Very good birds and nest. I wonder if cropping some of the top off would bring more emphasis on birds.
JoAnn

pampe
04-23-2003, 08:50 PM
wonderfully done! :clap:

see how that pause refreshes;)

I love the nest...masterful...agree a couple darks might help

A crop might be good or not

*if that red yarn were exactly the color of the babies open mouth, I wonder what would happen to the composition?*

artmom
04-24-2003, 09:13 AM
First: Thank you all for looking and commenting!

Second: My apologies for the slowness of that thanks. Our cable company's server went out on me--twice! I posted warm, witty, thank you's last night TWICE and they are floating around in cyberspace somewhere. I gave up at midnight and went to bed!

So, third try--here goes! I don't think the replies will be nearly as witty--but they certainly are warm!:D

Michelle, Gail, and CharM--yup, those little darlings just stole my heart and ended my "creative pause!"

Bethany, the nest is in a corner of our porch ceiling and those little robins are all looking at a wall! My DH was just snapping pics everytime their little heads popped up and this was the clearest view! Lucky click!

Al, "Anticipation" is right--may I use your title?

Lise and JoAnn--thanks for the suggestions--I'll look at cropping and darkening.

Pampe, thanks for the applause--and the question. The purple is there because while painting I hear "More purple, more purple" in my head! LOL

Again, thanks all and please forgive the delay in responding.

Lyn

vestalqueen
04-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Lyn, these guys are captivating! I used to raise birds (finches) and the babies look just like this! I particularly like the red thread - you know you can find just about anything in a bird's nest.

Congratulations on ending the slump!

Erin

artmom
04-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Erin! I think they are about to leave the nest--my 6 year old granddaughter got so excited at seeing them yesterday. They are only about 4 feet out our living room window--we live in a split foyer, so can't see them good from porch.

When I thought about the yarn, I called my friend and asked her to drop some yarn on her scanner and send it to me--so that helped in the rendering of the yarn.

Good to hear from you, neighbor!

Lyn

al22
04-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Sure.........
.....al

artmom
04-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Al, for the okay on "Anticipation!"

Lyn:D

Uschi
04-24-2003, 04:58 PM
Wonderful painting Lyn!!! The babies are soooo cute and the nest is excellent!!!!
Uschi

lyn lynch
04-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Were it acryls or oil, I would say lost and found lights to the nest. since it isn't, yes, some very selective darks...just a few little patches.

I think the yarn added interest and how you acquired it was creative thinking! It has been stated that it was unnecssary in terms of going off the page, but it shows you have your composition cap on, and the yarn adds wonderful interest to the nest. The fact that you chose this photo as the best proves that point as well, as noted by Bethany, who has already forgotten more about composition than I will ever know.

The birds are wonderfully done, in fact I think perfect; babies don't anticipate though, they say "Where's my LUNCH".

Up for another work? How about using this same reference and adding a small bit of a tree branch coming out of the right frame as though the right hand bird is looking up at it. Then, some red berry bunches hangind from a twiggy branch. The left hand guy is obviously watching for lunch [open mouth], but what's the other guy looking at. DH hand would be tooo scarey.

Good job, I enjoyed looking at 'um.

Gia
04-24-2003, 05:59 PM
this is very nice work, the red yarn balance the composition so
nicely...well done!!

M.A.
04-24-2003, 07:39 PM
I like the way your slump ended ... with this lovely painting!!!

birdlady
04-24-2003, 08:38 PM
awwwwww this is adorable...a true sign of spring when u see babies in a nest and so well said by this painting. I really speaks spring.

Laurie

artmom
04-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Uschi, thanks for looking and commenting!

Fookie, thanks for looking and taking time to comment. Maybe I'll get my confidence up to try a human portrait! LOL

Gia, fun2cook, and birdlady--thank you for the comments. I'm enjoying watching the babies and the parents very much!

Lyn