PDA

View Full Version : Practice Equine Painting - Critique

Artful-equine
04-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Hi again everyone --

I've been working on this painting purely for practice as it is a copy of one of my favorite artists works. I'm trying to work on musculature and shading/highlighting and I'm having a heck of a time getting things to blend to the point I want them blended! I basically like this look but it's almost too much... Maybe not for this one but for MY paintings I want to be able to see a little LESS definition and I haven't found the nack on getting a happy medium -- I either have too much or too litte in the muscle department.

Any suggestions on how to get to where I want to be?
Also, I am looking for help on anything in this that's glaringly wrong with my nostrils, eyes, etc. These are the hardest parts for me... Well, there's the legs (I hate legs) but I'm working hard on improving those, too!

As always, thanks so much for your advice. I'm so happy to have found you all!

Kim

Artful-equine
04-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Another --

Artful-equine
04-23-2003, 12:54 PM
And close so you can really tear!
(sorry my camera skills are not so great)

Wingnut
04-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Haven't seen the original (maybe I have... can't remember right now) but it looks great! As for critique on this piece, it would be helpful to see the original to see what you were trying to copy. The legs are a little thin and the lower legs/hooves don't appear to be bearing any weight (they should look as if there is a 1200 pound horse fighting gravity above them ;) ). As for general helpful critique, it would be easier if I (we?) knew exactly what it is your trying to accomplish? If your going towards realism, even as far as photo realism, thats one thing - but if your going another way thats something else again.

Did that make any sense at all? :confused: I'm not even sure it did to me.

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Wel I'm no horse person but this seems to be coming along very well. I take it you are using CP's? If so blending can be done with a pastel blender but note that this will take off some of the colour at the same time.

Keep them coming!

Paul

crazeejumper
04-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Great painting! You did a wonderful job on the highlights & sheen on his coat. I agree with Wing about the thin legs, esp. the hind legs. Also, I know it's probably the photo, but he looks like he only has one ear. Maybe a hint of the other?

Artful-equine
04-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks everyone...

<<As for critique on this piece, it would be helpful to see the original to see what you were trying to copy. >>

My scanner is brokem unfortunately. It was by Richard Reeves and I don't know the name of it -- just liked the way it looked! I wish I could put the original up but until I can get the scanner fixed it's a no go.

<< The legs are a little thin and the lower legs/hooves don't appear to be bearing any weight (they should look as if there is a 1200 pound horse fighting gravity above them ).>>

I agree and I'm not sure how to fix the weight-bearing issue. Would you add more shadowing? Less? This is where I show my "I don't know Jack about Art!" side:-)

<<As for general helpful critique, it would be easier if I (we?) knew exactly what it is your trying to accomplish? If your going towards realism, even as far as photo realism, thats one thing - but if your going another way thats something else again. >>

Well, the one I copied wasn't really photo-realistic and I was trying to do it as close as possible to that. I guess what I'm really looking for is just to know if I'm moving in the right direction on doing these dang horses. I feel like I'm improving in the last few weeks in a lot of ways but I'm isolated here in my little studio with only a dog for an audience and she loves me even if I paint like crap! HA

I just want to get better no matter what I'm doing. I think I have somewhat of a style starting (or maybe it was there already and just deep under my skin!) or whatever you want to call it... At least I feel like I'm finding more of one lately.

But I'm getting more and more fearful the more I find out. When I didn't know anything I wasn't afraid to try things but now things seem more complicated (I'm reading too much and seeing how much there really is to all of this!) and I'm afraid, afraid afraid.

Gosh -- I sound too serious don't I? Sorry. It's just that I'm taking this very seriously due to the fact that every morning I can't wait to get up and start painting again. I have this feeling that this is how people feel when they love what they do and I've never felt that until now.

Anyway, thank for listening to me blabber and thanks for the advice.

Kim

Peggy Gross
04-24-2003, 06:30 AM
:cat: Kim,
Great Style is what I see, is it yours? or what you are emulating?
Need to see reference.

Peggy G

echidna
04-24-2003, 12:27 PM
kim-
excellent use of highlights on this one! the legs are preety thin, tho. for the weight bearing issue, i scratched out a sample in photoshop in about 30 seconds- don't laugh! i hope it helps to clear things up for you. as for being afraid to try new things-DON'T!!! experiment and find what you like and what works for you. if you wake up every morning wanting to draw, then you are an artist. all you have to do now is refine your skills. keep at it!
~Echidna
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/20929-hoofref.jpg