PDA

View Full Version : The Square - Winchester UK

DaZZer
04-23-2003, 07:24 AM
This is my first attempt at a cityscape.. and i WONT be doing another because although i'm fairly pleased with the result i didn't really enjoy painting it.. I think i'll stick to painting old cottages etc :)

CharM
04-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Well DaZZer, if you're never doing another then I'm certainly glad you posted this one!!! It's beautiful.

tigre255
04-23-2003, 07:55 AM
DaZZer this is great, don't know why you wouldn't want to do another........as this one is wonderfully rendered.....

BTW what size is it.....???????

flowerfields
04-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Dazzer...you're mad!! Never doing another??? No pain no gain! Well you certainly don't look like you struggled through with gritted teeth..this is sooooo lovely!! I especially love the feeling of sunlight (didn't know it could get that sunny in England!! Ha! Just jokin') on the walls of the middle buildings...wonderful figures too....Pleeeeaaasseee force yourself to do another! You so obviously CAN!
Mia:cat:

Strawberry Wine
04-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Dazzer: Love the perspective and all the angles are spot on. You have so much detail in this painting it is lovely.

Take a break as long as you need but please do another .... this is so good. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gail

els
04-23-2003, 08:18 AM
It's a pity you are not painting cityscapes anymore, this one is gurgeous...

Uschi
04-23-2003, 08:52 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!
A lot of detail so I can understand that at this point you had it up to your eyeballs with detail, but I also know that sooner or later another scene will pull you back in.:D Well at least I hope so!!!!
Uschi

Yorky
04-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Wonderful job, Darren.

So clean - and the figures are excellent.

Doug

babybrush
04-23-2003, 08:57 AM
great job on this, Dazzar!!! i thought it was your reference at first. it is beautiful. would love to see closeups

Bethany

BobH
04-23-2003, 08:57 AM
I look forward to your posts, your command of detail is so exquisite! This is no exception, it's just fantastic!

What size is this?

Bob

Little Old Lady
04-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Wonderful cityscape. The buildings and the people are marvelous.
JoAnn

Giselle
04-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Fantastic work! Beautiful!:clap: :clap: :clap:

painterbear
04-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Hi DaZZer,

This is just wonderful. Your buildings are so beautifully drawn and painted, the perspective is just right. The windows and signs are super. I love the way you paint bricks and stonework on buildings--they look detailed but you don't paint each and every one. The shadow on the building at the end of the street is especially effective, and, as Yorky said, your figures are really well done.

Don't say you'll "Never" paint cityscapes again, please. You do them so very well—at least once in a while for novelty, give it another try.

mhimeswc
04-23-2003, 09:59 AM
This is a fantastic painting. I hope you didn't really mean it about never painting another cityscape. You do them well.

I like your figures, they are very believable, and really add to the city atmosphere. Very good job!

Michelle

Luzie
04-23-2003, 10:01 AM
It's a wonderful painting and I know where you are coming from when you say you won't do anymore like this (even though it's a loss to everyone). I painted a scene, it turned out very well but was nothing but work and took forever, in the end it almost made me quit painting because all of the fun had disappeared after I put down the first 10 percent..., everytime I see it, I crinch, even though people always like it. Looking at mine is a flashback of nothing but unpleasently labor...
But yours does not look forced, it looks fresh and can't tell the struggle.

karenjh
04-23-2003, 10:44 AM
This is great! If I painted this I'd be on to another one right away because this is really good.

Nandie
04-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Dazzler,

Whatever happened to the old addage, "A true artist suffers for his art?" LOL!!! This is absolutely beautiful, by the way!!

mchew
04-23-2003, 11:47 AM
This is lovely cityscape... I like it a lot... we all have things that we like or dislike to paint... but IMHO, I think we should try and do more stuff... that's how we learn.

DaZZer
04-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Thank you all.. After that responce i just might do another cityscape one day.. I take on board what Marvin and Nandie are saying and that an artist needs to push themselves.. I suppose old cottage landscapes are my comfort zone and i should perhaps do more of the stuff i find more challenging - like cityscapes and portraits.. The size of all my watercolours are 16" x 12"... I've attached a cropped close up.

hopefulbucky
04-23-2003, 12:33 PM
WOW :eek:

This is really beautiful. It reminds me a bit of little streets in Gibraltar, love the narrow streets and one just feels like there are there.

Good job, I love little cottages but I really love this. Must have taken you quite a while.

Gilberte
04-23-2003, 01:37 PM
Perfect !

vestalqueen
04-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Dazzer, I think this is fabulous. I can appreciate the "comfort zone" issue, but you've rendered this so nicely. Your perspective is on the dot, you've captured the different textures (brick, wood, etc.) accurately, but without being too tight. I'd like to see you do more of these. The figures are enchanting, too.

Erin

wilkinsonart
04-23-2003, 09:29 PM
Daz. Excellent job, great detail. I was on holiday in England last summer and took lots of pictures , made half a dozen paintings out of them. This was what I was trying to achieve [ didn't quite make it].
I have always heard you have to enjoy what you paint - so I am sure we will be seeing more cottages. But I still think you should throw in a few street scenes for a warm up and others to enjoy.

pampe
04-23-2003, 09:44 PM
VERY nicely rendered, dazzer

:clap: