PDA

View Full Version : CP Horse

lorna12
04-23-2003, 05:01 AM
I did this from a calendar, strictly for practice. I didn't even bother with the background (wouldn't have known what to do anyway!)
reference photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/11613-2_blck_horse.jpg

next, my cp work

lorna12
04-23-2003, 05:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/11613-Black_Horse_1a.jpg

I would really appreciate any feedback and/or advice.

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 05:07 AM
Hey Lorna your up early! I think you are about 4 hours behind us? Lokk forward to seeing the cp work of this one!

Paul

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 05:08 AM
Ok then you beat me to it! This looks lovely I especially like the ground believe it or not! Excellent work again with those cp's.:clap:

Paul

lorna12
04-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Hey thanks Paul!! I'm glad you like it.

Actually, I'm up very late!:D Just off to bed now. I'd say you are the one who's up early, aren't you?

She-She
04-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Hey Lorna
When I first came here you had two images of the same horse on your first post...(yup, I caught that. ;) ) I was going to ask where was the art piece that you did, but just as I went to post a reply I noticed that you changed something. So I went back to see if I was seeing things. (yes, I was :confused: in a funny way) I saw that you deleted one of the calender pictures, but had not put up your art work yet. So I looked around telling myself to come back.
I must say I like this one very much, the ground looks fine to me.
Good job!! :D

lorna12
04-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Yup, you caught me!:o I don't know why the same image came up twice (must have done something wrong!) I know I had the 2 pictures in different folders, so it wasn't like I clicked on the wrong pic when uploading.

Glad you came back for another look, anyhow. Thankyou!

(did you think for a second that I was a really good artist!!!)
hehehe:D

She-She
04-23-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by lorna12

(did you think for a second that I was a really good artist!!!)
hehehe:D

Yuppers!!!;)
Your work is always really good in my eyes.... :D

Lorna & I are two night owls who can't sleep tonight!! he he he

crazeejumper
04-23-2003, 07:08 AM
This looks excellent, Lorna! Only suggestions I have is to fix up the face a little; the protruding area looks too prominent, & the croup. I will try to explain better w/Photoshop later if you like. Overall, you have done another fantastic job!

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 09:40 AM
Lorna & Sheila You are definately the one's to be up very late, don't forget I am about five hours in front of you! When you are going to bed I'm getting out of it!
Lorna This piece really doe's look great but I havn't got the foggiest what a croup is.:confused: Thought I'd better ask seeing as I will be starting my first horse painting tonight. That will be mid afternoon to you.

Paul

Crias
04-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Hi Lorna-

Great job on the shading and I agree with Paul....LOVE the ground :) Do you mind if I take this into photoshop and show you some minor corrections that will make your horse look more anatomically correct?

You are doing a great job with horses and capturing a great likeness (but we would expect no less:D)!!

BTW Paul- the croup is part of the hindquarters that runs from the hip to the base of the tail.

Paul Hopkinson
04-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Cathy, that's the first bit of a horse I've learn't so far!

Paul

Crias
04-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by CraftyHopo
Thanks Cathy, that's the first bit of a horse I've learn't so far!

Paul

Here is a web site with really basic horse parts and other basic horse information. http://www.mn4hhorse.com/Projects/horses-are-fun/page01.html

pencils4me
04-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Lovely

You did a wonderful job on this black coat - black shows alot of other colors in it dosen't it? The ground looks great, and a couple minor anatomical corrections aside this is just awsome!

smooth and sleek, came across very well!

TJ

lorna12
04-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind and critical comments.

Crazee and Crias:
Anything you want to do to show me the right way, is totally alright with me. I'd be grateful.

Crias thanks for the horse link, too. That will be helpful the next time.

RachelG*
04-23-2003, 12:11 PM
I think this looks great! the only thing i saw is that his raised front hoof looks a bit square; in the photo hooves 'taper', or narrow i guess, towards the end. this looks great, though! i LOVE how you've done the black coat!!!

Axl
04-23-2003, 02:16 PM
The colours you brought from the photo into the horse are just beautiful. Nice work!

Wingnut
04-23-2003, 04:33 PM
I think it looks darn good even if it is just a practice piece :D I especially like the ground and the colors added in the coat. My only nitpicks would be that the tail bone looks a bit thin (easy fix), a slight bump in the croup, and the shoulder seems to dip a bit low. The bone structure around the eye is a little flat, but the eye itself seems good, and the front hoof thats supposed to be on the ground seems to be missing? :confused: I don't much like the shape of the hooves, but I don't like them much in the original photo either :rolleyes: (picky-picky now I'm even picking on reality :p lol!) Looks like a Saddlebred or a National Show horse (the croup looks like Nat Show Horse) its pretty. Very nice work - black is HARD!

BTDogMom
04-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Practice? PRACTICE? This is 2 good 2 b practice :D Another excellent piece, Lorna :clap: :clap:

Crias
04-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Lorna,

Here are a couple of diagrams to show the areas I see could use a little more work.

The red is to show the differences between your drawing and the ref. photo...the angle to the hoof and also the highest point of the croup (the perpendicular line).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/2921-bhorse2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/2921-bhorse1.jpg

And here is the head...a little bit closer up (enlarged). The one on the right are my minor changes. I smoothed out the throatlatch and widened his/her face a little bit. I think the ears are a little bit too short too, but had a hard time drawing it in my PS program.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/2921-bhorsehead.jpg

Once again I love the colors and shading in the coat! Great job and I think it will look exceptional with those little changes.

crazeejumper
04-23-2003, 08:00 PM
Those were the exact same things I was thinking, Cathy! ;) Thanks for getting there before me as I was really busy today!