PDA

View Full Version : still life

kate252
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
i painted over my daffs- i didnt like them- so this is the third painting.
so ive got my moneys worth out of this canvas board- i hate wasting my money on failed canvases.
so im onto a new canvas board now- and it will be nice to have a neater and fresher feel.

i did like to layer and i enjoyed making the stripes up- in enjoyed mixing up colors - thought the shadows and darker values didnt really work- but what the heck i had fun- and im going to do some more!

fire away with crit if you feel you have an observation that will help- or advice
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2012/179491-IMGP3347.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2012/179491-IMGP3343.jpg
im going to try harder to make a better composition next time- but when i try it still doesnt work- so im not going to stress over it any more- im just going to enjoy and have fun

Charlie's Mum
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
im just going to enjoy and have fun - and along the way you'll pick things up and composition will get easier!

I rather like this painting, despite a many-times-used canvas it's fresh and bright.
I think the colours work well and I like the viewpoint you chose - that adds dynamics to the work.
I do think the comp. has a 'domino' feel to it - like a '5' on a domino - but it actually works OK thanks to the viewpoint and the daffs reaching out:D

Rajashree Chanda
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
A nice colorful effort...I specially like the flowers...

kate252
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
thanks- yes those daffs reaching out kind of saved it really- its the only good bit about the composition- on my next one ill do it again- but this time find a better shape or dynamic between the objects. ill do some sketches first.

karenlee
03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
wow this is bright and friendly and dynamic! I love the way the "negative" shape of the horizontal-striped background sort of forms an "X". I think the total effect is very musical, like these objects are dancing round the daffodils. Tres cool.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
03-01-2012, 06:45 PM
this is a very unique piece and i like the elements in it

noodle1
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I like the view and the color, it's bright and cheery, I think you did just fine, the comps will come just as Maureen said and never let the fun run out either.
Happy Painting.

Elaine

ribeyedsmile
03-01-2012, 09:10 PM
wow .........I love the way the "negative" shape of the horizontal-striped background sort of forms an "X". I think the .....

I agree and noted this little red "x" on the right side center. Like some lil tea bag with a confederate flag??!!??

OOiii

that X is fun

kate252
03-02-2012, 05:51 AM
thanks for looking- im kind of bummed out about it now- dont know why- i expected it to turn out much worse. all i can do is push it out for the next one and take things ive learnt from this over to the next.

i do like the confederate theme you have suggested...Im in England, so this confederate theme really appeals!!! maybe in my next one- ill pop little americana symbols in......

getting rid of negativity is one of my biggest obstacles. it can stop you investigating a subject and a genre- as you start to think...oh well, maybe that other medium and subject was better after all. ansd then you can spend your whole time chopping and changing methods and directions.

thats what i did in my fine art degree- as each new idea got slated by my tutors, i would start a new idea- and so on, the students who stuck to their guns and over rid the negative feedback got successful in their work- they cam out with good marks in the end. i could understand it- there was me thinking- but your work got slated and trashed the whole way through- and now they are give you a good mark?????????

my mind boggles.....

KarenESP
03-02-2012, 06:48 AM
You clearly achieved a joyful peice in all respects. The daffodils look really great! Having fun is important, I think.

kate252
03-02-2012, 07:14 AM
many thanks!! im already onto my next painting- and painting on a fresh clean canvas is going to make all the difference.

im not going to talk about this anymore- as everytime i comment it brings this thread to the top!! and there is other peoples work to look at and discuss but i want to thankyou for your encouragement and interest.

connievanwinssen
03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Fresh and happy painting!:)

OkeeKat
03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Great painting Kate!!
Love the bright colors, Having fun painting is the most important thing!!
Glad it worked for you too!!
:)

Rastermon
03-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Great cheerful colors! - p.s. Kate your message box is full - tried to reply to a private message but was denied.

AllisonR
03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
This is really refreshing. the painting looks like you were having fun, as opposed to trying to look like you were having fun. kwim? I really like the funky perspective and the way you treated the stripes - as rich and fun, not overworked.

idylbrush
03-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I know I responded to this a while back, dang gremlins.

I really like the graphic feel to this and the colors are so very festive. Really lovely piece.

karenlee
03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
We have several local restaurants that hang local artists' works. This painting's sunny disposition would fit right in! If this were mine, i would save it to run off prints in the future & sell at an art fair. There was a guy named Picasso who was a real dabbler in every style too. I wonder why he never succeeded. ;)

kate252
03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
well- i wasnt goin g to respond to this thread- but its gone up near the top again anyways- so im gonna add- a huge thankees- thousand thankees for your positivity- as all week ive been down a big back hole marked "this is where all the crap artists go" and i feel you guys have given me your hands and lifted me out of it for a while.