PDA

View Full Version : paint?

Chirps
04-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I have a question about the OTHER kind of paint - wall paint. I need to repaint my studio. One of my instructors at university suggested I just paint it white so there's no contrast with the work I'm doing, but I find that soooo boring, although it does sound reasonanble. I think I can get some good suggestions here!!

Anybody have any?

Rose Queen
04-23-2003, 01:53 AM
:D I just painted my studio ochre with a lighter yellow ragged over it, Mediterranean blue closet doors and Marine green trim, so I'm probably not a real good person to ask! :o

If you mostly have artificial light in your studio, white might make sense, but I'd rather live with color and make sure I have daylight bulbs in all my lamps. Unless you opt for eggplant purple with Mandarin red trim, I can't see how having color vs. white's going to make that much difference in your ability to see the true colors of your work. Let 'er rip! :D

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

Chirps
04-23-2003, 05:20 PM
well, it would be the only white room in my house, and since I do have nice eastern daylight in there I'll go with some colour, just not purple & red!!!

thanks

jcpower
04-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Why not take an assortment of your favorite colors, dip your paint brushes in each color (one brush per color works best), and just fling the paint onto the walls (being careful not to paint your windows). It would be fun and and could spark your creativity when you are in a slump.

BTW- Not an original idea, I saw it once on a design show on TV. Hope this helps.

Chirps
04-26-2003, 12:38 AM
ya know.... just thinking about it gives me ideas

thanks!

timelady
04-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Remember that the colour of your walls will most likely reflect on to your artwork, as does the colour of the light and your apron. The colour will also affect what colours you see on the canvas - as you are viewing them in combination. White is really best. If your studio is like any other artists' it won't be boring since the walls will probably be covered in paintings, sketches, palette mixes, postcards and photos, twigs and leaves, collages, er... okay, maybe just my studio for the twigs. :)

Tina.

Chirps
04-28-2003, 06:26 PM
yes, thanks Tina. And... I have twigs, big twigs, twisted twigs, tiny twigs, gnarled twigs .... (sad, but true!)

savage om
05-04-2003, 11:40 PM
I'm new to this message board-- I've decided to post replies and skip all the formalities (hello- I'm annonymous.pleased to meet you)
-2cents worth equals-
IMHO-the specific color you paint your area isn't exacly important- with one key factor in mind: as long as it's a muted one. I think the bottom line is to keep from being distracted. Muted color X will disappear, and will only make noticable differrence if you are clausterphobic, and absolutely require white to make your room look bigger than it already is.
So go muted. You will -in theory- workwith more focus, and perhaps appease the ghost of feng shui if the color compliments the furniture.
Your next task will probably be the full spectrum lighting so you can actually see what you're doing

Sher
05-08-2003, 03:52 AM
I look at a white wall as a clean canvas.

coolartsybabe
05-08-2003, 04:19 AM
My walls are antique white, kinda off white. I don't really think it matters what color your walls are cause beings we are all grown up and stuff we can do whatever we want! Sometimes you go to jail for doing what you want but all in all we get to make those kinds of choices.

I don't think you'd go to jail for painting your wall a generally unapproved for an art studio color. Personally, I don't really think it matters cause when I do art I don't look at the walls. I just look at them when I'm looking at the walls.

I like my walls antique white because I'd feel all closed in and then I'd hyperventilate if the walls were real dark. I also like the name antique white because it makes me feel like I have real valuable old walls. You know what I mean. Like I could take my walls on Antique Road Show and have them appraised.

Wow.

Ron van den Boogaard
05-08-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by coolartsybabe

I don't think you'd go to jail for painting your wall a generally unapproved for an art studio color. Personally, I don't really think it matters cause when I do art I don't look at the walls. I just look at them when I'm looking at the walls.

there is light reflecting of them which changes the colour perception, so white or neutral grays.

Bendaini
05-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Personaly, I hate blank walls. those are more blocking then my filled ones will ever be.

I have white walls because i live in an apartment and can't paint, and I often find myself mentaly decorating to get rid of those vast blank walls.

I suggest a couple things. Think about the lighting in the room, and how dark you want it. think about what you want to stick on the walls. I have tons of baskets, miniatures, pictures, and what not plastered around my walls and it makes the big white spots better, but only just.

My perfered walls would be a wall with a divider about waist hight with a darker color on bottom, and a lighter color on top... something to break up the monotony. Plus all my "stuff" hanging on the lighter side. Maybe even something with pattern on the bottom.

Stripes make a room seem taller. Of course you have to break them up at the top of a room or they can make it seem REALLY high and very narrow.

Try some decorater sights.

Kalandra
05-10-2003, 08:39 AM
I like my walls antique white because I'd feel all closed in and then I'd hyperventilate if the walls were real dark. I also like the name antique white because it makes me feel like I have real valuable old walls. You know what I mean. Like I could take my walls on Antique Road Show and have them appraised.

ROFL!!!!!

DANCING PAINTBRUSHES
05-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi...
I am moving into a farm house and I will have my own studio. There are windows on 3 sides and I will have 2 doors with a wrap around deck. My walls will be white which will go nicely with the blue and gray tiled floor. I have beadboard half way up the wall and underneath the windows which is lightly stained. I think white will reflect nicely with my work. I want to feel calm and inspired there and I know the color scheme will work for me. There will be my artwork on the wall which will give me enough color.
:)

JoyJoyJoy
05-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Color of my studio walls? Hmm... let me think... they are under this stuff somewhere.

Well, there is the wall with the scrap pegboard I found... that's 5'X8" and covered with drying paintings. I could not resist making curtains out of the cute, multi-colored "crayola crayon" fabric. Then, there is this darn large computer desk with its bookcase and multi-layered corkboard, two working tables always covered with "good stuff," two bookcases full of colorful books and materials, and a standing easel with paint carrousel. Add the Sark poster "How to be an artist", and hats from my collection draped here and there.

Sorry, guess I'm not much help.

Nance

SuBee
05-15-2003, 11:35 AM
My husband is a Prosthodontist (restorative dentist-he makes teeth, mostly implants) and he was advised to paint his treatment rooms a very light, icy blue. the other colors in the room become more pure and true making shade selections more accurate. Hope this helps.

Pelli
06-03-2003, 07:49 AM
I recently repainted my studio-studied tons of paint chips, thought I had the perfect color picked, and ended up using a Martha Stewart paint right off the shelf :rolleyes:
It's the color "Ironstone White"-it has a very slight turquoise to lilac cast to it, depending on the type of sunlight or cloud light coming in the windows. I think it also picks up some reflected color from the rose mauve mini blinds I have with white sheers over them. Anyway, I LOVE the wall color! It's cool, comforting, soothing and for me anyway, perfect for my studio.
As for working with pictures, my walls are a bit eclectic-everything from large prints of racing Porshce's to watercolor/gauche prints of wildlife! All live quite happily together and all seem to have color in them that is picked up and enhanced by the wall color
Have fun in your new studio
Carole