PDA

View Full Version : I Need More Advice -pleeaassse!!

Jazz
04-22-2003, 11:07 PM
HEY!!! ALL :) ,

I am soooo....... pleased to be back on line, I missed you guys sooo.. much!! I was like a junkie, LOL I had major withdrawal symptoms!!:D

I am doing great!! and I would just like to say once again -THANK YOU!! for ALL your support and kindness, it helped so much:) .

Anyway, to the problem in hand, this picture I have started is causing me great worry :( !! I really do not know where to begin nor do I know how many layers of the complementary colours I should use and at what point I should start using the 'real' colours? How many layers should I be looking to have in the end? How do I work light to dark or dark to light?

I am so sorry!! to be such a noodle head but since my accident and having to take prescription (very strong) painkillers, my memory and brain capability has been severely affected and I have found on starting my first CP artwork that I have forgotten soooo..much.

CAN YOU PLEAAAASE!! HELP ME!! I am really lost right now and I am soooooo... eager to get going with some colour but my confidence in my own ability has failed me and I am finding it hard to start as I am so afraid of making a big mistake right away.

I don't care if my first CP isn't the greatest I am looking at this attempt as a practice piece and learning picture so I am afraid I will be asking many more questions:o SORRY!!

Thank you in advance for any advice offered!!

Lots of Hugs,

ALI:angel:

arlene
04-22-2003, 11:36 PM
take a deep breath...LOL

use your complimentary color...write it down so you remember.

You go as dark as one shade lighter then the darkest color you want it to be when finished. So for example if you want it to be a value that's very dark, you'd put many light layers of your grisaille color on first. In the lighter areas, you'll have less layers.

The you start with your background color and get that done...then you work dark to light.

there are a few threads in the hall of fame that show us doing grisaille...look at ivy's particularly as her's is simple enough to get the idea.

Jazz
04-23-2003, 06:20 AM
Thank you so much Arlene!!:) ,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain to me, I know LOL, I was getting a little panicky!! But once again after reading your advice I feel in control again, so thank you you are a real star!! :D

I will definitely go and check out those grisaille examples, I need all the help I can get,LOL!! :confused: :rolleyes: Hopefully next time I write I will be telling you that I am making progress instead of being frozen into inactivity due to panic, LOL.

Right, after checking out those threads I will begin with my background. Am I right in thinking that where there are darker shadows in the b'ground I need to increase the amount of light layers of my complementary? I mean if the dark values vary in tone in the background should I vary the amount of layers in each area of the background? Am I explaining myself right?? I think I am confusing myself:confused: LOL I hope you get what I mean:o ?

Lots of Hugs,

ALI (The bumbling beginner:o :D )

arlene
04-23-2003, 10:22 AM
You're explaining yourself fine, and that's exactly what you should be doing. :)

Jazz
04-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I have taken the plunge and my first layer of Tuscan red is down on two of my lily pads(only two?? I hear you say?? yes only two I am being sooooo..... careful and trying to keep my hand very light) being left-handed I tend to press harder, if i don't the pressure gets transferred to my finger's holding the pencil, so in effect I am squeezing the life out of Tuscan Red right now!!!:eek: lol

Anyway, had to let you know that after all that panicking I have finally put down some colour-HOORAY!!!!:clap: YIPPEE!!!:D :clap: .

I will keep you posted on my progress and hopefully I will have more to relay to you later today!!

J-J has taken my dogs out for me so I can get on with it, isn't he a darling!!:) Right back to the grind stone!!!

Hugs,

ALI:cool:

ArtWench
04-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Ali---

I know how the pain meds can affect your brain... I've been on & off them since January. I finally got scared that I was going to become addicted and quit cold turkey. But, now I'm not getting enough sleep! Sigh!

As for your project, I am glad you finally put the pencil to paper! That really is the hardest part and probably the biggest source of your anxiety.

Have you ever read any of Sark's books or seen her posters? They contain wonderful bits of advice for the artist such as:

"Put your ego, critic, judge in a drawer. Lock it."

"Experiment. Keep going. Make more mistakes. Laugh at what develops."

"Tear the paper up if you don't like it. glue the pieces into the center of the next picture. See if it develops into anything."

Another of my favorite quotes is from Natalie Goldberg's Rules of Writing Practice:

"You are free to write the worst junk in the galaxy."

Now change that to "You are free to draw or paint the worst junk in the galaxy!" Does that help a bit? :D

Jazz
04-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Thank you for your encouragement cathexis, I know how it is coming off pain meds, I have been forced into it on several occasions when I haven't been able to replace them before I ran out and its been hell!! You have my every sympathy!!:(

I also know a great deal about the not sleeping well aswell, I have been taking med's strong enough to knock an elephant out for over 5 yrs now and I know that I cannot cope and exist in life without them. Even with them I am limited to what I can do during the day! I get very tired and sore as the day wears on unless I can rest often, lying down on my back!! So I do sometimes wonder why I bother taking the pain med's but they do make a difference, quite a large difference in fact. I can't exist without them I would be stuck in bed all day and would not be able to look after myself.

My body is slightly addicted to what I take but I can't say I have noticed a mental addiction, maybe I have been taking them for too long and can't tell whether I am addicted or not??

I know J-J hates me taking them all -I take four seperate kinds of pain relief. The only thing stronger than what I take is Morphine, my doctor won't prescribe morphine in tablet form, so I have to make do with the med's I am on which do not do the job properly.

Anyway, sorry about waffling on, lol :o Thank you for all those great quotes!! I will have to write them down and stick them on the wall in front of me as I tackle this picture!!! :) Unfortunately I have to fight my urge for perfectionism, I am no where near good enough to achieve this but still I know it will be something I will have to fight as I progress with the CP's, ah well! C'est La Vie!!

Thanks again for the encouragement and sympathy, I hope your pain is not going to be long term, like mine is, I would not wish it on my worst enemy. Are there no other pain med's you can try that would be less addictive for you, did you discuss alternatives with your doctor. It doesn't have to be medication, I have been told by a friend that I should try some water therapy, it did wonders for her back apparently. Also there are all the alternative therapies available. What have you tried?

Take Care,

Lots of Hugs,

Jazz
04-23-2003, 12:17 PM
I have done four of my lily pads that will be variations of dark green and grass green, in their first layer of Tuscan Red and the more I stare at it the more blind panic sets in!!!!:eek:

How on earth is that going to turn into a dark green without becoming murky in the process. I cannot see what I do next with it to get them a step closer to the final green colour -PLEASE!!!! HELP!!:o :(

I thought I was doing great but now I sit back and look at it I am worried. I don't think my pressure has been to heavy but I am really worried now that I can't see how it will progress and eventually look like dark green and shiny leaved????

Hugs,

arlene
04-23-2003, 12:22 PM
go look up Raye's cheeries and you'll see how it works. trust me on this k?

have you tried accupuncture?

Jazz
04-23-2003, 03:05 PM
WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :(

I need help fast before I develop a phobia about this damn complementary colour thing!!!!!!:evil: Heyullllppppppppp......!!!!!!!

I have put down my first layer of Tuscan Red and can't get past that stage as I really do not know where to go from there? I know I am being a total prat!! but I am having the artists equivalent of Writers block, I can't see past this first layer and I really do not know where to go from here? ....Which colour do I use now? do I do another layer with Tuscan Red or do I need to put a layer on in another shade of red or a completely different colour??

I desperately wan to move on but I think I have thought about this so hard that I have given myself a block!!! Can someone come to the rescue!!! PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSE!!!!!!!!:D

Hugs,

shelli
04-23-2003, 03:13 PM
I can't help you but I can sympathize with you. I have yet to try cp because I can't figure out how to go about this process either. I get the complimentary colors but like you said how do you know how to layer them. I wouldn't know either what to put next. I'm watching this thread very intently. I'm hoping I will learn as you go through this.
Good luck. Don't give up! Please!
Shelli

arlene
04-23-2003, 04:22 PM
You use the red on all the background...there's no reason to change colors for the greens...and you layer till you have the full range of values...just like in the project that I set up on values.

Then when you're done with that, you go onto the flowers.

ArtWench
04-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Jazz
Also there are all the alternative therapies available. What have you tried?
[/B]

LOL! Well, I've pretty much tried it all. If everything goes the way I expect it to at my next apt., I will soon be having my fourth spinal fusion. My back is a mess from a long time back. The latest problem probably stems from riding horseback and having a bad fall after the second fusion. Oh well.

My orthopedist wants to drill a hole in my coccyx to do an epidural since a regular one won't work. This is supposed to give me a year or two free of pain... And the point would be? I'd prefer to go ahead and have the surgery & get it over with!

What happened to your back?

Marcela Maria
04-25-2003, 12:35 AM
HI Jazzy;

YiPEEEEEEEEEEEEee!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad that you're back on the forum. Can't wait to see more lovely work from you.

xoxoxoMarcela:clap: :)