PDA

View Full Version : The Little River Bridge

sweetbabydill
04-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi everybody. Just wanted to post my finished painting of the Little River Bridge.
I first posted this in Feb. and I had put it aside for awhile and now it's finally finished.

Here is the reference photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/19702-bridgephoto.jpg

Here is the first posting and unfinished painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/19702-littleriver_009.jpg

This is the finished painting, done on Arches 12x16, 140lb. coldpress,
and using mostly DaVinci paints:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/19702-thebridge_003.jpg

I am still not very happy with the finished painting. Areas I worked on since the orginal posting was to get rid of some of the mud in the water and I also made the river a deeper blue with added rapids. I also worked on the bridge some more and the hillside. Athough I'm not very happy with this, I also realize that this is my first painting and we all have to begin somewhere. I cannot expect to be as good as my favorite landscape role models here. Some of my favorite landscape artists and my role models are Alan Cross, Rod Webb, Rich Williams and Marvin Chew. There are others also, but this is the short list. I also admire Gary Spetz (I found the link to his website in a post here). I would love to learn some of his technique someday. Here is his website:
http://www.spetz.com/

Anyways, any comments on my painting are welcomed. I always look forward to your helpful suggestions. :-)
Thanks,
Carolyn

Yorky
04-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Caroly - this is wonderful for a first watercolour - no, strike out the "first" - this is an excellent interpretation of the reference. You really improved it from the original.

Doug

Giselle
04-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Very nice! I especially like the waves. More greens in the foliage might make it more interesting.:)

sweetbabydill
04-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Thank you Yorky and Giselle. I agree with adding more green in the foliage. I have tried on several times to correct some foliage on the hillside but the paint is so dark it makes it hard to add anything except maybe at tree tops.
Thanks
Carolyn

babybrush
04-22-2003, 07:38 PM
this turned out great!! it is quite a success

Bethany

M.A.
04-22-2003, 07:39 PM
I think what Doug said, you really interpret this well.

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Excellent, Excellent . This is such a good painting. What are we going to see from you in the future.

If you were to add that touch more yelllow to the bridge posts and in the water as in the reference I think it would really show the sunlight versus shadows.

Gail

Annetta
04-22-2003, 08:08 PM
......why aren't you happy? This is a wonderful finish!! The water and highlights on the bridge just pulled it all together. Yep, I am looking forward to your next one also!! :clap:

Little Old Lady
04-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Great painting of a difficult subject.
JoAnn

sweetbabydill
04-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Thank you all for your nice comments. I said that this is finished, but I may go back and add some yellow highlights to the bridge and water. I am just afraid of making mud again. :-)

ripvanblair
04-22-2003, 08:53 PM
This is excellent, lovely colours and great perspective on the bridge------well done-------------Alan

CharM
04-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Carolyn, Carolyn, Carolyn... This is a beautiful painting... And your first!!!

I truly understand how you feel, though. I am very new to watercolour and I want so badly to emulate the talented artists on this forum. I can tell you honestly, that in a very short time, with lots of practice, you will see an improvement in your work.

What you've posted here is really good... Don't get me wrong... But you WILL get better... You will understand how to do those things you're struggling with just now!

I look forward to more landscapes from you!!!

sweetbabydill
04-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Thank you Alan and Char. I know, patience is a virtue. I will just have to learn to be a little kinder to myself. I appreciate your kind comments. By the way Char. I have seen your stuff. You are very talented. I didn't realize you were new to watercolor also.
Thanks again,
Carolyn