PDA

View Full Version : Block Prints

humblebee8
04-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Everyone,
I just finished a series of block prints and wanted to share them.
Some where on linoleum and some where on those rubber speedball blocks. The images are all 5x7, printed on vellum and hand-colored on the back with acrylics.
I'll post one and if you'd like to see the rest you can check them out on my website at www.humblearts.com

Thanks,
Heather

sassybird
04-25-2003, 03:19 AM
That is so cool! It has a a folk art charm that is very appealing. The expression on the girls face is delightful, and I really like the multi-colored print. I would like to ask you to post some more of your prints in this forum. Many times people don't have time to go to other sites when they come here. Besides, I would like to have them in the archive for future printmakers to look at :)

Welcome to the printmaking forum. We are a small bunch here, but our group is very supportive, and we welcome any new printmaker into the fold :) I am glad to see you joining our group, and I hope to see you post often.

Do you own your own press? I have a small 13x24" Griffin press that is a blessing, anniversary gift from my husband two years ago. I have two projects to finish, and then it is back to getting ink under my nails.....lol That is my favorite medium to work in, but I also do fibers and watercolor work. I intend to work both of those into the printmaking. Please feel free to share your experiences, and ideas with us. We all love to see and hear about other printmakers work and their experiments.

humblebee8
04-25-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi Charissa,
Thank you for the response. I will post more of my work. I don't have a press and I'm sure you'd laugh if you saw me hand-printing my work with a spoon. I do have access to a community press when I'm ready to do more than a few prints from each plate. I'm doing small editions for each image, but printing them as I need them.
I took two years of printmaking in art school (6 years ago), where I did monoprints, etchings, block printing, and lithographs. But I like to do things low-tech, so block printing is very appealing to me.
I'm starting out as a Children's book illustrator and my images are for my portfolio, so my subject is mostly children. I'm trying to fill my portfolio up with prints for a writer/illustrator conference I'm attending in may. 12 new prints is my goal for the month, so if you don't mind I'll just post work as I finish it for feedback.
I've been reading the posts here for a while and it's been very informative.
Looking forward to seeing your some of your work too!
Heather

cobalt hue
04-25-2003, 04:01 PM
hello--

i've been wanting to learn more about linocut printmaking and like your work. i'm curious as to why you choose to color the back --what are the pros/cons? and does that mean you make the impression only with black ink?

thanks for your time.

humblebee8
04-25-2003, 06:32 PM
Hi there,
Yes, the impression(print) is only in black. I choose to hand-color the back of the sheet because I couldn't figure out how to paint directly onto my prints without my ink bleeding. I know it can be done, but I'm not sure how.
The paper I'm using is transluencent and the colors glow like a stained glass window. I like the effect. But it was for practical reasons, I didn't want to disturb the black ink of my print.

Maybe someone else has tips for hand-coloring block prints? I think I'll post that question under it's own topic on the board, I'd like to know more too!

Take Care,
Heather

www.humblearts.com

talkingbanana
04-25-2003, 06:46 PM
This print, as well as your other one, is adorable! They belong somewhere in an elementary school or a pediatrician's office. :D

About hand-coloring . . . I've hand colored prints made with silkscreening ink with watercolors the next day and didn't have a problem, but those weren't lino block prints. All I can say is that colored pencils don't bleed. :p That's probably not the answer you're looking for, though. Look around for some kind of sealer/varnish - acrylics will go on practically anything, and you could varnish over the acrylics again. Don't use one you're too attached to for this experiment, though - I don't really know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes: :angel: Good luck!