PDA

View Full Version : My Sisters Corner

birdlady
04-22-2003, 02:38 PM
I have chosen my reference picture and transferred it to the watercolor paper. Arches 140lb cold pressed 11 x 14.

I then went to the stickys and read all of Rods threads on how to do things. I read and studied most on the roses and the fairy garden since I think this will apply to my painting. I also found Pampes WIP on the cream cans and studied the bricks she did as this will also pertain to my painting. Hope I have read enough to do this. Not much faith in myself with this medium. I am going to put the miskit on my angel where I want it to stay white and use the yellow ochre for the main body. Then I will go into the bricks and paint them in.

Gulping Hard ..here I go!

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/5126-angelsnowroses.JPG

artmom
04-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Laurie--good start. If you are uploading, you need to include ALL the brackets so that the image will show up with the message. That way, it is easier to look at while commenting.

I'm sure you'll do fine--and, remember, as everyone here says--it's only paper! LOL

Lyn

birdlady
04-22-2003, 05:10 PM
artmom ..thank u I wondered what I did wrong ...duhhhhh.

well I am in trouble already. :(
I worked on the angel and see I cant cover the pencils lines on the paper. Is there a remedy or is it to late for that? Also, how would I go about taking areas of paint off that I dont like? I found the paper was buckling on me too, to much water? Hope u dont mind all these questions. sigh

I was going to use ochre on her but it just wasnt to my liking so I used burnt umber with white instead and really toned it down to a very weak wash. I masked the areas I wanted left white (they all came out the same color as the angel wash during the scan) and when I get to the bricks will be taking it back off....hopefully soon.

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2003/5126-angelsnowroses2.jpg

M.A.
04-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Do you have a soft eraser handy if you want to get rid of the pencil lines? Better yet, paint over them ... I personally like it when I can see pencil lines... This is looking very interesting already! Am looking forward to seeing your progression.

Yorky
04-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Coming on nicely, Laurie.

Remember to choose your brick colours carefully, you need the figure to stand out from the background.

Doug

artmom
04-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Laurie, did you tape or staple your paper down first? 140 lb will buckle with washes if not secured tightly.

To take paint off an area, wet the particular spot, and use a tissue or a paper towel laid on it, press (just the spot) and lift the tissue or pt straight up. You can do this several times. If a larger area, you can use a wet, clean old toothbrush to scrub it gently, again using the tissue or paper towel to lift the paint. I hope you can understand my explanation! LOL

Just keep going: light washes at first, no big hurry to get color on.

Lyn

birdlady
04-22-2003, 08:10 PM
fun2cook..I do have a eraser but wasnt sure what would happen with this paper. I know charcoal and pastel paper well enough I know what I can get by with them...:) This is such a new adventure for me.

Yorky..the bricks in the court yard are red in color and vary so will be sure to keep it dark behind her. I keep refing back to pampes WC(cream cans) and am going to try using it for help. Thank u for pointing that out :)

artmom....OH NO!!! tape or staple it? I didnt read that in anything I have read. Will the buckle come out on its own since I dont have it taped or stapled? Now I am worried, will wetting it further to get the paint off create more problems?

Just wondering..is there a point that the paper wont take any more paint? in doing my charcoals and pastels there is...hope this doesnt sound dumb :(

Laurie

Annetta
04-22-2003, 08:21 PM
You might want to let someone else confirm this but....when mine buckle slightly after I remove the tape, I lay it face down on a towel, etc and lightly spritz the backside with a mister bottle and then place a heavy book on it till it dries. Actually I learned this little trick here. When it's dried, it should be flat...then you can tape/staple it to your board.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this. Looking like a wonderful start! :clap:

Strawberry Wine
04-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Laurie: Let your paper dry overnight. If it is just curling up towards the middle just tape it to a piece of massonite or any hard surface with painters masking tape. If it is really crinkled I have read that you can turn it over and iron it flat and then tape to board but I have not tried that, so see if there is more feedback on this procedure.

Once it is taped flat it will still buckle with too much water but I have found that it will dry flat once it has dried over night.

I am still learning so hope others will come by and give suggestions.

Gail

CharM
04-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Laurie, 140 lb. paper will definitely buckle. However, taping it (with painters' masking tape) will keep it in place and allow it to dry flat. It will still appear to buckle when wet, though...

You're worrying too much... This is a fun process and you're learning a lot!!! Go with it... Don't be afraid to use you talented instinct!

I rather like the look of pencil lines...

This is coming along very nicely, by the way!

artmom
04-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Laurie, Arches 140 lb paper is pretty tough. I've scrubbed w/a toothbrush, rubbed w/paper towel, sgraffitoed w/knife, etc. but it will buckle when really wet. But it will get flat again using the methods already mentioned.

I like pencil marks, but soft erasers work well. BTW, I even tape 300 lb paper. For fairly small things, my husband made me a masonite-type wood cover for my keyboard, and I tape my paper to that and can have my reference on the monitor while I paint and surf WetCanvas while washes dry! Isn't he a sweetie?:D

Lyn

Yorky
04-23-2003, 03:42 AM
Laurie,

I always tape my paintings before I start - I like the crisp white border when I remove the tape. If its not a "masterpiece" I frame it without a mount and leave the white border showing as you would with a print.

So long as you are'nt splashing a lot of water around you should have no problems.

Doug

birdlady
04-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Annetta, Strawberry wine ..thank you for the suggestions I will keep them in mind :) BTW when I got up and checked it this morning it wasnt as bad as yesterday. That made me feel a bit better.

CharM..worry? yep thats me when I am doing something new...lol. and true I am learning a lot with each stroke of the brush. This is a interesting medium and think I am going to like it. :)

artmom...awwwwwww that was sweet of him...can I borrow him to make me one.. :D

Yorky .. I have seen floating drawing and they look so nice framed.

So many of have said they like the lines so I think I will stop worrying about them and just go on. The ones that bother me I think I can work around.

I didnt want to start the bricks til I practiced on a spare piece of paper and would like opinions to see if I am headed in the right direction. Thanks again to all of u

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/5126-brickwall.jpg

pampe
04-23-2003, 06:32 PM
the more varied the colors in the bricks, the more interesting they will be

try painting them like a wash with several colors and then adding the mortar after they are dry...or mask the mortar if you want it light

Strawberry Wine
04-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Laurie: The birck work practice piece looks good. Pams advice about varied colours works well. masking fluid works great for mortar. I think your mortar lines are just a bit thick. I know this is just a practice piece but your vertical corner line is not straight. Drawing a perfectly straight line with ruler on the actual painting will keep your corner angles from going askew.

This watercolour stuff takes practice and more pracitice and once you think you are getting a handle on it the "watercolour witch" arrives and turns everything to mud just so you don't get too cocky LOL

Just practice and enjoy the process of learning this wonderful medium.

Gail:) :)

CharM
04-23-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by artmom
For fairly small things, my husband made me a masonite-type wood cover for my keyboard, and I tape my paper to that and can have my reference on the monitor while I paint and surf WetCanvas while washes dry! Isn't he a sweetie?:D

Lyn

What a too cool idea!!! Mine's getting another item on his honeydo list... Oh hubby, where are you???????

birdlady
04-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Pampe..I am using many colors for the bricks ..varied shades of burnt sienna with cobalt blue added to grey it for the main background wash. TY for your comments :)

strawberry wine...I wasnt paying attention to that but am now that I am into the actual painting..TY for making that point to me so I could watch for its being crooked. ROFL hope that *watercolor witch* doesnt show up too soon. I am enjoying this and its relaxing to boot! You go off into a different world when you get into it :)

I went in and started to add the brick wall in trying to keep it varied. I also put in the first wash for the roses and some of the leaves then worked on the second wash on the sphere she is holding. not sure its gona look like its shiny though. Opinions please, I cant decide if I need to put something, sky?, above the wall. I stopped at the side wall not sure how to approach it with it being much lighter in color. My angel isnt as light in color as I would like it to be and am hoping when I darken the wall more it will come out ok. I will be adding in rocks with their first wash beneath the snow that is still masked next.

I am putting up the reference picture so all of u can see what I am working towards. Next post.

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/5126-angelsnowroses3.JPG

birdlady
04-24-2003, 06:16 PM
meant to add that any critiques and suggestions welcome... :)

Also the roses turned out blue in the picture and they are a light lavender and yellow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2003/5126-angelsnowREF.jpg

CharM
04-24-2003, 07:49 PM
You're really making good progress Laurie...

birdlady
04-24-2003, 08:11 PM
CharM... thank you :D

artmom
04-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Progressing nicely.:)

Lyn

Strawberry Wine
04-24-2003, 08:44 PM
Laurie: This is developing very nicely. Your brickwork is great.

Don't worry " water colour witch" won't show up until you are starting to feel compfortable so you probably have a couple of weeks yet LOL

Gail

birdlady
04-24-2003, 09:12 PM
artmom...thank u...I keep thinking of what u told me earlier...*light washes at first, no big hurry to get color on* Soooooooo I keep telling myself ..patience gal patience.

Strawberrry wine ..thank you..its sure good to hear that I am going in the right direction with the bricks. heheheehhe ..Only a couple weeks...sheesh. spose I could sneak a bit longer without her knowing.

Laurie

Nandie
04-26-2003, 02:28 AM
Laurie, I just stumbled across this thread and want to add my encouragement - you are doing wonderfully!!!! Keep going.... can't wait to see how this turns out!:)

birdlady
05-01-2003, 09:42 AM
Nandie..thank you for the encouragement.. :)

well , after a stay at the hospital over the last weekend , I came thro the door and went straight to my painting to get the maskit off. Whew I worried the whole time I was in that I wouldnt get it off. I worked on it again the next day. I took the same color mix I had used on the angel and put it on the left wall in the brightest spots and used the same color I had used on the mortor for the dark bricks adding in some sienna on others. I then worked on the dark under the roses added in the rocks and some of the shading on the snow. I reworked the ball the angel is holding and am still not happy with it. Thats as far as I got for this step. As always suggestions and critiques welcome. Thanks

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2003/5126-angelsnowroses4.jpg

artmom
05-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Laurie, sorry to hear of your stay in hospital. I hope you are feeling well now.:)

It is really coming along. Your colors are very soothing.

IMO, the ball is bothering you because you have not added enough yellow reflections from the flowers.

Also, the left hand wall is not reading quite right to me. I assume from the photo that something is casting a shadow on the wall. Because we cannot see what that something (maybe a pole) is, your shadow makes the bricks look like they are jutting out and that the wall is not smooth from top to bottom. Darn, I'm not explaining that well!!:( Maybe someone will come along who can!

Keep painting--it is really taking shape.

Lyn

Yorky
05-01-2003, 12:28 PM
That brickwork is teriffic, Laurie. It's coming on great!

Doug

birdlady
05-02-2003, 10:12 AM
artmom...TY for the compliments :) I was hoping to work on it again yesterday and see if putting more color of the flowers improved my eye for the ball but things didnt work out. I am hoping it will tie it back in when I do get to it.
there is a tree in the picture to the back that is casting a shadow from its branches. I really dont want to put that tree truck in. Darn I cant see what u are talking about the wall jutting. I even have my glasses on :( Does it look that way even in the ref photo I provided?

Yorky..the scan is darker then the actual painting so the wall looks darker then it is. I am going to put more washes on to darken it. TY for your compliment :)

Just wondering ...do u put more color in with each wash or will each wash make it darker on its own?

Laurie

lyn lynch
05-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Laurie, this is an excellent reference. Why not enter it into Rod's current thread Challange 2? We could pick it to paint for that boys v. girls challange. Plus, you would be one-up as already having done it.

I commend you for the research that you did prior to beginning this project. I think it is coming along nicely, indeed. I like the left wall, myself. I did'nt understand why you added white paint to the Raw Umber though, in your initial wash.

BTW, we had a thread running about erasers and I tell you what I learned in there: Buy a Sanford product called "Magic Rub". I bought at Michael's craft store for around $1.00, also available at art stores, maybe even office suppliers, since Sanford is manufacturer of office products, ink pens, pencils and the likes. Pamps swears by it and now I do too. Best eraser!

Time for another image download, girlfriend...