PDA

View Full Version : Just started

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I just started painting last summer. I get frustrated by knowing what I'd like to do but not being able to pull it off LOL. It seems when I look at the fabulous work of others here, it's so easy when THEY do it. LOL Here's one of my better ones so far. I would like to be a wildlife painter. Thanks for taking a look

ribeyedsmile
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
and you are a wildlife painter!!!!
good work!!!!!!!!!

Karen70
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
and you are a wildlife painter!!!!
good work!!!!!!!!!
Ditto that quote. Lovely :clap:

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 09:17 AM
Oh, thank you so much. It's just a bit hard with all the gorgeous work I see here. I spend a lot of time looking around and I've been looking around since August or so, best I can remember. It really has helped me "see" more of the things I need to try to include in my paintings, though. If you don't notice it, you can't put it in. Here's my third attempt at a horse painting, my parents raised Arabians when I was a kid. I've seen some horse paintings here that are so stunning my eyes tear up. I'd like to get closer to one of those too someday (:

chammi kaiser
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
You have real talent Karen. Both your paintings are very very good indeed. I am amazed that you have only been painting for such a short time. I would be interested in the size of the paintings and also which acrylics you are using.

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi Chammi,

Mostly I paint about 16" X 20", although I try to push myself to paint 24" X 18", because I think it will make me a better painter to push myself to paint larger. The cheetah is 16 X 20, but I think the horse is the larger size, both of which I've already donated to that charity auction, so not sure on the horse. I just repainted my stalking tiger for the auction, this time as the larger size, which actually looked nicer than the smaller first version... with the exception of the ridiculous vines that I put in because I thought they were going to be 'easy'

Right now Im limited to all supplies from either walmart or a small painters shop in annapolis, for brushes and such. The paint from walmart is a joke, (Folkart) so I use mostly that BASIC brand of paint (in the painters shop) that only comes in maybe 9 colors (black, white, blue, green, a golden mustard color, orange, like that) acrylic, then they have a line of Liquitex professional Acrylic, Heavy body and Winsor and Newton Artists acrylic, that I have bought a few different colors of, especially greens because every time I mix up greens it looks like third grade art project.

Everything tends to take me several coverings because it all seems too sheer to me. They have paintbrushes, but I never know what to get. I ordered one riger, rigor? brush directly from England and I use that a lot. I recently bought a batch of brushes from walmart, just to use as paint mix up with and that was a mistake because the paint on the sides of the brush handles started cracking apart and fell into my paint and even onto my painting, in little tiny hard to pick out pieces.

I always find myself standing at the brushes, not knowing what to buy and just taking guesses, going back to the brush from England, then back to the paint brushes again wondering what to buy again. LOL

The painting I just posted here was painted (24" X 18") with three or four colors (with the exception of the background that I used my fancy greens and blues) that golden mustard color, orange, that dark brown, burnt sienna. I say to myself, there is a lot more to making colors than these three Im using on this tiger and my painting won't go so far if I can't figure that out.. but sometimes I read the tips posted here and there on this website and in my book I brought from J. Morgan and the colors they note that go into things just seem crazy to me right now, like if I tried to do that, it would just look ridiculous.

So, Im very new, I'm getting a little tired of being relagated to just a couple of size canvases that I can find, for example a square one would be nice once in a while instead of only rectangles...but for now I just keep going with what I have because I consider all my stuff practise anyway.

Thanks for asking, Karen

PS This painting looks a lot more natural in reality, it doesn't look so garish orange as it does in the photo. When I try to take indoor photos of my paintings, they just flash reflections from the paint and ruin the photo. I take them all outside to photograph them which makes their colors look a bit more vibrant in the sun.

Also on this one I finally forced myself to use the square brush on the side as in Jason Morgan's book (I was thinking why did I buy it if Im not going to try it) so as not to have to reload the paint so many times and that actually did help a lot. So next trip to the paint brushes Im thinking of trying to pick out a nicer brush than what I have that would work for that

susme48
02-29-2012, 11:21 AM
These are very good!! I know what you mean about just sort of muddling thru' with what you can get...lol....not sure I would know what to do with a 'good' brush. One thing, I'd love to see a bit bigger photo of your work...they allow up to 800x800, I believe.

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I started in July and in October, here is the first jungle animal I tried, well there was one really horrible tiger too that wound up looking like tony the tiger from the cereal box LOL... you can see the improvement - that came from studying tips posted on J. Morgan's website, Alan Hunt's website, then buying the ebook. The background was done with the fan brush which is always a good time, love fan brushes, the cheetah was done almost exclusively with a fan brush. This painting does look nice really small so I use it for my avitar (:

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
thanks Susan I thought they had to be 300 pixels, will repost a few...

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
First horse, early tiger, cheetah, last tiger. I have an aunt, father's side, who I hear can really paint, does flowers and such, but she's been painting for decades.

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Just for posterity, here's my first tiger that I hate to show people

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
This past Christmas I went though a crocodile phase after seeing a beautiful alligator painting on line that won an award entitled, What Lies Beneath... Most of these I dont consider successful except the last one on which I got lucky. If I didnt try to paint so fast I'd probably have a better time and results, but my paints dry fast and I get bored LOL. If something doesn't look promising at the start, then I rush through it just so I can put it in the done pile or the trash, whichever applies, and be free to pick something else out to do next. Most of the crocodiles went into the trash...

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
forgot this one... this concludes my art history LOL!

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
here's a small ostrich painting that I tried and threw out, maybe 10" X 12"... I then bumped up the contrast and posted it to The Painting is Fun facebook page, with explanation as a multi media piece from a failed painting (: I liked it much better then. Everyone is really nice at that place, there's plenty of beginners, but some great painters too

Devoted 2Art
02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
WOW - Fantastic start - you are putting us other beginners to shame. My favorites are the white horse & the croc.
Great work!
-John

Kathrin G.
02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
great work :clap: and as was said already ... you are a wildlife painter :thumbsup: keep it up :clap:

KarenESP
02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
thanks for the encouragement!!! I have to say that even though most of my crocodiles didn't turn out, that was a really fun phase

Ms Nan
02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Karen, your paintings are excellent. Sorry you are having trouble getting the brushes and equipment lined up. It takes time and trial and error to select the ones that work for you. Good luck. Keep painting and posting - thanks for sharing with us.

KarenESP
03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your kind words Ms. Nan. I see other artists and they mention what thier painting on and I've never even HEARD of such things, much less where to get them. I bet the stuff the professionals use is pricey to. Thanks for taking a look at my paintings, Sincerely, Karen

jellymassee
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Just a stunning body of work!!

KarenESP
03-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Wow, thanks jelly!!

noodle1
03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
No doubt about it...you ARE a Wildlife painter and you have tremendous talent and I'm seeing a style of your own too. There are so many wonderful artist's here and I understand what you are saying, but each one has a touch, something about the finished piece that is their own, I'm seeing that here with you in these, keep doing what you obviously love and rather then compare yourself to others recognize your own particular gift and soar with it...I really like each one of these...and brushes you'll sort that out but I have to say it's not always the brush that will do it but it is always the one using them that no matter what brush, will make it work and you have!

Elaine