http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2003/3788_neckdetail.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-22-2003/3788_profile.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: profile self-portrait
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 22 by 28
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Self portrait.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you enjoy.

Ginette
04-22-2003, 01:04 PM
So far it has the softness and look of a pastel.
Looking forward to see it finished.

:)

Ginette

andyvry
04-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Yes.....I find the luminous effect very appealing. Squint, and I can see you quite clearly.....Think this is one painting better appreciated IRL....there are some delicate color shifts that the monitor does not reveal methinks.

Just one thing...I'm trying to figure if your ear'ole is TOO dark......my eye is drawn to it..

andy

simon levenson
04-22-2003, 04:04 PM
This painting is stunning and embyonic (sp). Love the eyelash and all that, so unforsced. good for you. soft stuff, harsh paint, great all round. I think the black may undermine it a little, telling the viewer that it is ok to look at this as a graphic or and illustration which it is not. it is high art... no not that way

jerryW
04-22-2003, 06:40 PM
makes me a merry man

designditz
04-22-2003, 07:24 PM
yes i like it very much..the only thing is that your head looks severed...floating...but you yourself...lovely! :)

djstar
04-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Kanevsky (http://home.earthlink.net/~alexhollis/Alex2002/TS.jpg)
Linda Ciallelo will be chasing you down!!!
nice nice nice use of the technique! You make it more comprehensible for me.
dj*

artinoils
04-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Very interesting self...like it...holds my interest. Very curious about your technique. Looks to me like lots of glazing and wiping.
Please explain.

Gavinart
04-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Technique:

It changes with each subject.

For this one; I start with a dark ground...still active.

Then taking areas of dark away with thinner, i begin to build mid tones with an under-painting of white and indigo...all the while wiping and dry-brushing and painting and cursing and smoking and drinking tea...

After I am satisfied (about 3 or four days later) with the under-painting (which is rare) I begin to layer in color. There is no real rhyme or reason to my 'technique' as , like I said, it changes all the time. Toward the end of this painting I found myself pounding the paint in to the canvas, as I would during my acrylic days.

I am an 'alla prima' painter primarily, but in the studio during long winter months--I find myself experimenting/UN-learning and learning.

DJ-
Let her chase me down, I have never heard of her before! Thank you!

Ditz-
But I am a severed head! I painted this with my mouth.

Jerry-
Merry Jerry.

Simon-
Yes the illustrative quality is omnipresent....I think seeing it in person you would feel differently.

High art --either way it's good. Thank you.

Gin-
TY! Pastelle!