PDA

View Full Version : a picture that has moved me....

zilloot
04-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Can I just say, and this is not a plug because I don't do that, that Jackie (Simmonds) pastel 'Arabesque' ( a copy) has been sitting by my desk for the last few days and I can't keep my eyes away from it.

I can see the dancer's dreams, aspirations, sweat, disappointments and the simple beauty of what she does in this picture and it moves me. It's the pink, the blue, the light and the delicacy of her profile...the barre, the shadow and all the warmth too...the idealism of youth?

nuff said (scottish stiff upper lip...)

it's on Jackie's show cataloge (back page) and also her website www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk

I hope you don't mind me saying this Jackie but it's one of those Art-to-the-heart pictures for me.

jackiesimmonds
04-23-2003, 04:30 AM
What a lovely thing to read, particularly this morning when I was feeling despondent and wondering why, having sent out 1500 show catalogues, I hadn't had ONE response despite the fact that all the work in the catalogue is quoted as being for sale.

Selling is such a tricky business. It would be nice not to care about it, but sadly, I do. I had a chat last night with another artist, who told me that he shows regularly in a gallery in Paris, and every time he has a show, he sells out. In these hard times, that is just amazing, and left me feeling quite inadequate. I was really annoyed with myself, and gave myself quite a stern lecture ... but it made no difference, I clearly didn't listen!

I am delighted that you enjoyed that picture, I enjoyed making it, and will do my best to remember that it brought someone pleasure .
Here it is by the way, in case anyone else reads this post and is curious but cannot be bothered to follow the link!:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2003/1805-arabesquesmall.JPG
Jackie

soap
04-23-2003, 04:34 AM
Jackie, don't get down. Your show will be a success. No doubt. I am sure that most of us greatly admire and enjoy your work and visit your web site with those glorious paintings regularly.

jackiesimmonds
04-23-2003, 04:37 AM
thanks so much, Sophie.

meowmeow
04-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Yes, I've been thinking about how busy you must be getting ready for your show, Jackie. What a lot of work! I do hope it is a success...your work is so good and you are so open and sharing.

I enjoy looking at your website and studying your paintings. That whole series of dancers is wonderful!

Try not to be down about it all. We appreciate you!

SAndy

E-J
04-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Jackie ~ is it normal for lots of potential buyers to contact an artist about purchasing their work before seeing it 'in the flesh'? I'm sure the catalogues will already have sparked a lot of interest and with the exhibition coming up, I suspect many will be planning to come and see your show and look at the work close-up before coming to a decision about buying, which after all isn't an easy decision to make!

It's a lovely painting, by the way.

jackiesimmonds
04-23-2003, 09:54 AM
EJ - All I do know is that many galleries offer works for sale from the catalogue, and often sell quite a few pieces. An old chum of mine, an artist called David Mynett, used to have shows with a Birmingham gallery, and they would send out a large, glossy brochure, and he used to take great delight in telephoning me to tell me that he had sold the whole catalogue before the show even opened. Did I say he was a friend? Silly me.

I have had a bit of interest today..........someone is coming to have a look at 2 of the pieces in the catalogue; someone else in Spain has expressed an interest in the one on the front cover, and the parents of one of my dancer/models is interested in the 2 pics of their daughter!! Well........interest is good. If it turns to sales, I will be very cheered-up! I'm just not counting my chickens as yet.

Jackie